Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Leaving the Hivemind: A discussion
When a Changeling gets hungry, they look for a staff assistant to munch on. As the Ling is drinking their new grey energy drink, the poor soul of that lone wanderer gets sucked into the Hivemind forever changed, and now a part of the greater whole that is being a Changeli-

And they left the hivemind with the button.

I will admit I am very guilty of this. I don't have a lot of fun playing as a hivemind member, so I usually leave it as soon as possible. This, coupled with the fact that I am very quickly able to get cloned because I make it a point to stop in for a clone scan, means I'm back in the round not long after my first demise.

I wanted to have a discussion on how people feel about the ability to willingly leave the hivemind. Currently the timer on it is something around ~30 seconds, and lets you be cloned fully immediately. The clone console updates within five seconds of leaving as well to notify medical that there's a dead person.

Worth mentioning is that this discussion is about willingly leaving the hivemind. If the Changeling kicks you out, then this should not apply, same with if the Ling is killed.

Some concerns with being able to willingly leave with no repercussions:
  • The deceased can pop out, get cloned, and immediately start snitching on the changeling. This isn't too far different from other antags in some ways, but the entire point of the Changeling is that they absorb the person and in a way, that person who got ate becomes an antag.
  • The changelings power is strong 1 vs 1 , but the addition of hivemind members means that your specialized limbs can really help you out. The Leg is extremely strong at breaking down glass windows, the eyes are very mobile and can help you complete objectives, and so on. Not having that toolkit available because people leave the hivemind as soon as possible isn't fun for the Changeling too, I imagine.

Some proposed changes:
  • Add a timer to being cloned after willingly leaving the hivemind - keeps people from immediately snitching.
  • Set the person to DNR and warn them of such if they click to leave the hivemind. Respawn is 10 minutes after all.
  • Nothing. Maybe this is fine and intended, after all. People sometimes have to leave the round.

Edit: Some concerns as well are that maybe being in the Hivemind isn't very fun, and that the carrot needs to be changed not the stick.

Messages In This Thread
Leaving the Hivemind: A discussion - by Nerkson - 03-13-2024, 04:10 PM
RE: Leaving the Hivemind: A discussion - by Snoid - 03-14-2024, 02:32 PM
RE: Leaving the Hivemind: A discussion - by Snoid - 03-15-2024, 03:11 PM