Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 3.3 Average
Pharmacy: Do They Really Need All That
The reason we have pharmacy is because medbay is too important to be ignored with chem requests.

I heard stories of people dunking buckets of medicine onto people to heal them and every game science has to make these buckets of medicine.
So they changed it. The bucket dunking was removed for menders and a small supply was set in medbay, so science was free.
But this caused another problem, cause science is always too busy and thus if medbay ran out.. people were dieing.. INCLUDING THE SCIENTISTS WHO YOU NEED TO HAVE CHEMS TO HEAL FOR!
"Help I am horribly burned"
"I am out of burn medicine! What do we have? Nothing?! All pods full?! Cloning destroyed?!"

So pharmacy is a nice back up to have. And some new map designers decided to fuse Pharmacy and Chemistry together. We see this in Cog 2 mostly where Chemistry and the pharmacy are interlinked. And I do love this.

I get that people want interaction with medbay and science again but to solve this culture problem is having science to gain something from helping medbay.
I always like using the genetics gameplay loop as a design philosophy. Science has a budget, but 10/10 times it's just spend on genetics.
Why not have the budget be able to upgrade science devices to make em work faster?
Now the science budget is more then just: "Genetics's free upgrades"
And requests give pay outs.

Anyway.. if we want to change the interaction.. we have to change the pharmacy.. NOT REMOVE IT!
Why do we go to the pharmacy? To get medicine to treat us for longer periods of time.
So why not do just that?
Make the menders only able to treat people to 80% of any damage, but the last 20% has to be done with medicine from the pharmacy.
Not only will this STOP the mending only approach, but having something like a BURN OINTMENT that can heal 20% of your burns away wich menders cannot remove.. is great.

Just imagine that each damage type has 2 variants. "Short term and Long term." And the long term can only be treated with ointments and medicine. But also alternative ways of healing.. like brute damage can also be lessened by holding an ice pack against you.

Now medbay becomes less a "Go in and get healed" kinda place.. but Pharmacy will have the long term medical healing items and can produce more of it from a chemical storage. But to refill that storage is to ask science.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pharmacy: Do They Really Need All That - by Kotlol - 03-04-2024, 07:59 AM