Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The relevance of Extended rounds on RP
While the event organizer is a good idea to keep rounds going, it also seems like the job of... everyone?

Literally anyone has the capability to do something interesting and gather a crowd for it. Any command member could run a training event or a department event. Civilians all have the swing sign for a reason, because they can all do something in the bar or the chapel or the botany/rancher desk or anywhere else open. Science has tele-sci, though of course you could maybe find ways to make the other systems more interesting by making fun pills and showing off artifacts in fun ways. The Clown. Just them alone. And idunno, you could probably do something with medical if you tried. Install some bike horns in the clown's chest!

An event organizer to me feels like a staple-gun solution to people not doing anything interesting. We have so many roles that have such capability to make interesting rounds. I've hosted events as Captain, chaplain, bartender, chef, etc. I didn't need to be an "Event Guy" to host an event. I'm also aware that sometimes you'll have rounds where just no one bites to your gimmick or you die before you can do it, and I think that's just the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. I encourage those who have that happen to not be discouraged and keep trying, but I also encourage anyone who passes by these events to make an effort to interact with people who seem to be trying to do something fun. Don't get too sucked in, there will be another round!

I'll say I know this is all easier said than done. Some days you just don't feel like being the center of attention or putting in a lot of effort at risk of losing all the effort to death. And I also think extended should probably be rarer, or at least non-consecutive. It's just from what I've seen in discussion occasionally in Discord that some think this game is just completely boring if a round doesn't have an antag, but I also think there's so many underutilized mechanics that people can use to facilitate interesting moments. That's just my few takes as someone who primarily plays civilian and captain. On a personal note, don't get attached too much to any ideas you have. SS13 is a goofy game where chances are you'll die randomly or have a vital piece of your gimmick stolen. Be ready to be malleable and remember that you can almost always do what you want to next round

Plus, if extended only had Event Organizer, that would be easy instant metagaming as you'd know it was extended by them joining.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The relevance of Extended rounds on RP - by Largeamountsofscreaming - 02-23-2024, 11:23 AM