Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
[MERGED PR] Cyborg movement speed rebalance
(01-06-2024, 01:11 AM)Lord_earthfire Wrote: but i think heavy borgs are too tanky to get a significant buff in movespeed. And going from 3.2 to 2.5 is quite much.

Important to note this pr nerfs heavy borgs with treads a good bit (1.9 to 2.2), so your average heavy borg setup will be slower. The main reason for reducing the gap is for #17555 and making heavy borg w/ s. legs not completely miserable. If this pr and #17555 get merged, heavy borgs will be worse in every scenario.

(01-06-2024, 02:45 AM)Spyritdragon Wrote: I'd love the other options than treads to be more viable, but having to go everywhere slowly is just no fun - the main reason that I tend to play with light parts is that running anything that either has no threads or is standard moves around significantly slower than a human, and it just feels like a pain to move about in. A speed module is faster, but should be considered a 'sprint' if you ask me, and is both clunky to use and drains significant power.

I'd still agree treads could use a bit of a nerf on light borgs, but gauging a lot of the borgs I play roboticist for regularly, I think the solution to the 'stale' meta lies a lot more in making the standard or heavier parts feel more viable.

For some additional context on my intents regarding this pr, I consider this bare minimum foundational work to begin to make heavier borg parts viable. I think no matter how much more stuff you give the heavier then light borg parts, if they feel sucky to play as, no one will play them. Additionally, if light borgs w/ treads are significantly faster then the other options, then everyone will use those as speed is useful in every scenario. This pr makes light borgs w/ treads no longer faster then a sprinting human, but instead ~ 20% faster then the average speed of a human when you account for sprinting. Base light borgs are still slightly faster then your average human for distances greater then traversing a department.

I do want to rework speed upgrade as well (and oil), but Ill need to make a design doc for that. I think certain borg builds (heavy meleeborg), have a need for burst speed to be viable (and also burst speed is just fun). However currently the speed upgrade allows you to traverse the station incredibly quickly and in some cases (ie janitor civborg or medborg w/ speed and artcell) can be incredibly oppressive to people just trying to do their job as they can get to anywhere faster then any human can.

For my future plans on how to make heavier borgs more viable outside of this, my main plans are 1. Make heavier heads have increased resistance to ejecting brains and 2. Give borgs thermal interaction (ie they can overheat) and make heavier borgs better equipped to deal with heat. Also Im very much for roundstart borgs being able to choose their body type (no treads though and probably no heavy).

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PR] Cyborg movement speed rebalance - by Ikea - 01-06-2024, 06:25 AM
RE: [PR] Cyborg movement speed rebalance - by Cal - 01-29-2024, 04:02 AM