Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
On the subject of RP Security Officer access
I like the idea of a system tied to alerts, but unless there is some alternative way that allows lowpop sec to enter departments this would just be crippling all sec on lowpop 4. It can already be incredibly frustrating to play against a skilled antag on 4 who will get AA within the first ten minutes and then do crimes you can barely track and sometimes aren't even aware of due to lack of personnel to inform you. With this nerf you now can do literally nothing against an antag with AA without outside assistance or resorting to hacking your own stations doors. Frankly with the improvement I've seen over time in security behavior this doesn't seem super needed to start with, tbh.

If we do implement this though, I would honestly recommend tying it to armoury auths (Or a similar authorization system) (Which should have the threshold lowered according to secpop IMO) That way RP sec A) Has an incentive to actually auth the armoury, something that seems to almost never happen even when shit has fully hit the fan and B) Can get access to every department when it is needed.

All in all I think it's an unnecessary modification that could potentially significantly damage the average round experience for a significant amount of players if implemented incorrectly, and I have my doubts that it will actually have any benefit when it comes to creating new RP, though theres is some potential to implement it in a more functional way.

Oh an additional idea that I've just gotten from working security IRL: give sec access to more general departments with their IDs, (like the main part of medbay, but not robotics or surgery, science but not any of the actual work rooms, etc etc.) And then provide them with something like a physical master key or override (or just an ID with upgraded access I guess) that allows them to enter departments in an emergency, but theres just the one for the department. That way a lowpop secoff who really needs to still get into departments in an emergency can do so, but not every secoff can walk into any room they want at any time.

(This is inspired by the fact that security personnel at the hospital don't have card access to the pharmacy or drug storage, but the larger sets of keys issued to the Team Lead and Assistant Team Lead [Or Acting Team Lead, if neither of the former is present, which is the important thing here] still have a physical master key which can open the door im the event of an emergency.)

Messages In This Thread
RE: On the subject of RP Security Officer access - by Carton - 10-18-2023, 03:35 AM