Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Borg Pronouns In Robotic Comnands
(07-28-2023, 06:22 PM)Retrino Wrote: I only brought it up as it seemed to be a somewhat common sentiment that having their identity changed on a whim could be uncomfortable. at the end of the day it is a game, but it could still be worthwhile of a meet in the middle thing.

as for the second thing… i don’t really see how something like confusion over someones pronouns couldnt just be solved via communication? a simple “hey, i noticed you were using X set of pronouns but are now X. which do you prefer?” could just clear things up right then and there.

My first point about game mechanics that change your appearance/identity was more about those mechanics add unique and fun effects that aren't just "this kills you". Yeah, nobody likes getting stable mutagen'ed, but it's not supposed to feel that way, much like other poisons. I'd rather add an IC way to deal with such things as forced identity changes than an OOC way that lets you slightly change one aspect of it like the proposed verb to change them whenever you click it. You are not your character, you shouldn't feel such attachment to it not being completely to your liking every round, this game has a not insignificant amount of murder after all, and there are few things that can happen to a person that are less pleasant than that.

As far as confusion that might arise from it, I didn't mean talking with someone and trying to find out their pronouns to address them, you can do that simply by holding alt. But the general interactions with people around the station that you see or get logged in chat like combat logs and whatnot. Making it be an OOC verb just doesn't make internal sense, it should be a physical thing that you have to do like by your ID, PDA, or using a Genetics console.  It would make sense as an ooc verb if it was something that only affected the player who pressed it, so that all chat logs they see that reference their character appear the way they want. 

That said, I really can't imagine why someone would care to edit their pronouns frequently enough in a single round that having to do it IC in-game is so onerous that it makes more sense to give everyone a verb so you can chang it on a whim. I think I said the same thing multiple times here and took too long writing this.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Borg Pronouns In Robotic Comnands - by pali6 - 07-28-2023, 12:34 PM
RE: Borg Pronouns In Robotic Comnands - by kyle2143 - 07-28-2023, 07:40 PM
RE: Borg Pronouns In Robotic Comnands - by JOELED - 07-28-2023, 08:51 PM
RE: Borg Pronouns In Robotic Comnands - by Kotlol - 07-29-2023, 08:11 AM
RE: Borg Pronouns In Robotic Comnands - by Kotlol - 07-29-2023, 09:44 AM
RE: Borg Pronouns In Robotic Comnands - by Kotlol - 07-30-2023, 05:55 AM
RE: Borg Pronouns In Robotic Comnands - by Kotlol - 07-30-2023, 02:07 PM