Feedback open letter Pt.2
(06-04-2023, 12:34 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: Even so, design by democracy never really turns out well. Players should instead take the role of designers and contributors, and give constructive feedback before something gets merged.

I just want to make a quick note to this last statement here, regarding merge feedback being given before it is added: most of the controversial PR's have been made by devs who opted to bypass consulting the community before hand and merge the PR directly. This is not regarding any one specific PR, but is just a general pattern I'm noticing. Players are unable to provide constructive feedback before it gets merged because of this, and the only time controversial PR's are reverted only occur when an overwhelming and unignorable majority have voiced their feedback about it (see HoS cape PR). However in most cases once a dev makes a controversial direct merge themselves, it is locked in. Community contributors make controversial PR's too, and because they have to discuss with both devs and the community as to why their PR should go through, quality control is a lot more guaranteed. A solution for this could be to encourage developers to wait a day or two to merge a possibly spicy PR that might stir conversation after they create the pull request, allowing for more discussion on the pros and cons of said PR before merging it. It is not a big ask from the community for devs to leave a PR up for a day or two before merging it, and I think this simple request could negate a lot of unneccesary debate in discords immediately after a controversial PR goes through.

Messages In This Thread
open letter Pt.2 - by jckrfc03 - 05-31-2023, 02:22 AM
RE: open letter Pt.2 - by LeahTheTech - 05-31-2023, 06:31 AM
RE: open letter Pt.2 - by jan.antilles - 06-01-2023, 06:18 AM
RE: open letter Pt.2 - by stuck_in_void_HELP - 06-03-2023, 04:28 PM
RE: open letter Pt.2 - by ZeWaka - 06-04-2023, 12:34 PM
RE: open letter Pt.2 - by Jakson - 06-07-2023, 03:17 PM