Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Aetherion: an atlas pop alternative
I can already say this... Atlas is way more condensed then this. Security alone is way too big.
And feels.... like one of the biggest security wings I seen.

Look at the Atlas one.. it's way too small yes.. but this is the opposite. WAY TOO BIG.
And this is for a low pop one? This feels medium population.

Atlas security should feel like 3-4 members max with 2 prisoners.. but room to cram in more. This feels more like a 8 member security team with room for even amounts of criminals.
Also is that a clown room in command??

The hallways around the ranch and botany feels way too lengthy. That feels more like something I'd see in donut. There is also this unnessarcy maintance shaft between ranch and botany. Remove that.. Botany and the ranch are always joined at the hip at every station cept oshan.. and even I find that annoying.

Anyhow.. I also notice there is no sec podbay.
Botany and the ranch feels about the right size.

What I think is command center is also WAY TOO BIG.

But let's review the needs of low pop and where you succeed and failed.

1: Fast access to other departments.
FAIL. You have the most complex way of ranch talking with botany then any station. Even high pop it's less steps.

2: Combining departments.
FAIL. Since you haven't done this yet.

3: Optimal amount of room for each department.
FAIL. Security is too big.

4: Enough maintance shafts.
FAIL. To be fair this one is hard to do in general. In my opinion Destiny has some of the best maintance shafts as they both serve as maintance and shortcuts.

5: Is it small?
FAIL. The 3 wide corridors aorund botany and ranch says enough.

6: Can you get everywhere without using a maintance shaft fast enough?
FAIL. Sorry bud but again... ranch to botany comparrison but also ranch to security.. where the short cut is "Go through the courtroom."
Never do this..

What I recommend:
Look at the defunct Manta, look at Destiny, Look at Atlas.
You intend to add more maintance shafts wich I approve since Atlas's maintance shaft's are so minimal some might not even exist (infact one basicly is 1 square wide and so short why do we need it?)

I recommend doing what Manta and Destiny do.. and go for a maximum shape 1st and try to fit most of it in it.
Also combine the detective's room with security. I already hate the det's office is in maintance in atlas.. but just combine em.
Have the det have a small storage room. (No sectech and such) and a desk next to sec's front desk.
Shorten the travel time between departments but allow maintance shafts to become shortcuts or outer rims.
Main hallways can be long, but don't make em loop around unnessarcily like you are doing now.

Also try to connect maintance shafts in a way that you can jump from shaft to shaft. A lot of the best stations have this where you can litterly loop around the stations using only shafts and spending less then seconds in hallways. Wich you did half succeed at.

It's very early so don't be discouraged. Command can be easily shrunk down and remember, you don't need to put the heads rooms in command, they can also be attached to their departments. Infact the best idea is to have Command be central and each head room in each corner that indicates their sector as they naturally will flow into engineering, security, science, medbay. With HoP and Captain being part of command.

If you build a station around command being central and each corner of command leading into those, sectors... you will have a perfect low pop station.

Messages In This Thread
Aetherion: an atlas pop alternative - by Tyrant - 05-10-2023, 09:04 PM
RE: Aetherion: an atlas pop alternative - by Kotlol - 05-11-2023, 06:00 AM