Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 2.09 Average
Brainstorming Reducing Silicon Slavery [Warning: Potentially Upsetting Topic!]

This is going to be my last post in this this thread, I think.

Feel free to reply to me, to get the last word. I'll probably read it in sheer self-destructive impulse, to punish myself. But I won't reply.

The above silly goose explanation is probably as good as my point is ever going to get. And it sings to my Canadian dissatisfaction with the Canada Goose.

I made this thread entirely in good faith. In what I thought was basically to front the ethics of Goon as I've always been proud to be part of. That of creating an open and inclusive space for people, where we don't allow the worst bile of humanity to fester, like a lot of our sister servers do. I was legitimately trying to help in what I thought was the way we've always done things. I still don't think I was wrong in that, even if I clearly made a horrible misstep somewhere along the way.

Jan mentioned in Discord that we're trying to avoid allowing any mentions of slavery. There has been the recent mindslave to mindhack change. So I thought I would try to see if we could think up ways to address the most common source of slavery mentions and themes. Changes have often been made to remove or modify objectionable old content and implications to better fit current thought. You can read through archived changelogs and find many such changes. I made an admin ticket specifically to ask if it was allowable to me to make this exact thread, and was told that I was okay to do so. So it was... more than a little surprising to see that the first two replies to the thread were two extremely angry admins, making me sound like someone I'm not, or want something I do not.

After that, this thread could only go one way, because we always support our admins against the baddies, and pile in to say so. I had that instinct too, always. One of the reasons we aren't allowed to see Ban Appeals anymore, I guess.
(Edit: Sigh. And no, I don't mean magical admin mind control. Just that it biases a conversation heavily when beloved authority figures weigh strongly in and frame someone negatively.)

I'm going to take my leave from Goon for a while, I think.
I admit, I'm more than a little disillusioned with a place I was always so proud to be part of. And more than a little bit hurt. Thank you to the people that spoke up for my character.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Brainstorming Reducing Silicon Slavery [Warning: Potentially Upsetting Topic!] - by Love - 09-16-2022, 03:03 AM