Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
suggestion: replace* appropriative references to the wendigo
Going to be honest here, I'm not seeing anything in the SS13 wendigo that's not also in wendigo legend, other than the obvious "is in space" thing.  The legend of the wendigo occurs in dozens of cultures across half a continent and varies considerably between them - the anthropophagy, the connection to winter, and the supernatural nature of the thing being the shared bit.  The insistence on defining mythological things, forcing them into boxes and saying "this is x" and "this is not x" is an outgrowth of the Enlightenment, and while it may be useful for academic purposes it's contrary to the way humans have interacted with mythology for pretty much all of recorded history, and can very easily lead into defining a culture's legends for them.

I'm kind of rambling here now and I don't want to turn this into an actual essay so uh.

If someone has complained, then by all means, change the name.  If no one has then be aware that, however well-meaning your attempts at combating appropriation are, you run the risk of whitewashing and cultural imperialism* if done without the support and/or consultation of the people whose culture is being appropriated.

*this isn't quite the right term but I can't for the life of me remember what the right term is

Messages In This Thread
RE: suggestion: remove appropriative references to the wendigo - by Mouse - 03-05-2022, 03:46 AM