Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NetID Pinpointer
This sounds like a really cool idea, and I'd love to see it implemented.

That said, I think it'd work better as a form of pinging, similar to how you can ping a pda to get the owner's name. So you could send a packet to any device, and it would respond with its location. Then potentially there would be a way to override the location auto-reply with something else for the ultra-nerds who are worried about being tracked.

I also had a couple of ideas that I'm not super sure of, but might as well share. First idea is that the coords could be offset in the same way as telescience (so you'd need the calculation to actually figure out where the device is) and this would also make messing with the location in a believable way much more difficult. This could potentially also only apply to pdas, to allow them to be more secure than other devices, while still being findable.

Second idea is for a cargo orderable pre-built mechcomp device that has an easy system to put in a net_id and find the location of it. It could also include a guide of what it is doing and how it works. This could be immensely useful for players trying to get into mechcomp, as well as making locating these devices not locked to packet-nerds. This would require some thinking about logistics of delivering it, and making sure that it all comes properly hooked up. It could require some assembly from the user, with a guide to that, or maybe could all come in a mechcomp cabinet, though that would then become the only way to produce mechcomp cabinets, which is a beast of its own.

Messages In This Thread
NetID Pinpointer - by Garash - 02-16-2022, 09:48 AM
RE: NetID Pinpointer - by UrsulaMejor - 02-16-2022, 10:01 AM
RE: NetID Pinpointer - by pali6 - 02-16-2022, 10:06 AM
RE: NetID Pinpointer - by getbrecked - 02-16-2022, 11:39 AM
RE: NetID Pinpointer - by pali6 - 02-16-2022, 11:42 AM
RE: NetID Pinpointer - by Marksman - 02-17-2022, 03:52 AM
RE: NetID Pinpointer - by pali6 - 02-17-2022, 03:54 AM
RE: NetID Pinpointer - by Garash - 02-17-2022, 04:09 AM
RE: NetID Pinpointer - by AmazingDragons - 02-20-2022, 07:40 PM