Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[PR] Consistent and Fun Surgery Improvements
I agree with some of your ideas, though I have a few quibbles with the methods of improvement.

Messed-up Messages: I do not like the current way in which the feedback only says that a step is failed or that you messed up, but for a different reason than you state. The current messages are somewhat vague; while it is hard to put oneself in the mind of someone who does not know much about the system as a whole, I believe both new and experienced surgeons would benefit from the messages being more clear that you should just try the same thing again. I do like the idea of adding why the messup occurred. My preferred substitution would be "Step needs reattempting - failed due to [patient consciousness/lack of medical training]. This maintains the passive voice; generally messages caused by an action either state what you did or what happened as a result - directly telling the player to "try again" runs counter to that.

Hand Importance: I agree that it should be more consistent, but I disagree that only the last cut should matter. It doesn't really make sense that you can spoon out and cut one eye to do the finishing spooning on the other; while it does make sense that you would need to focus on a particular side of the chest to remove an organ. Indeed, until now I thought it already was consistent in requiring the same hand to be used for left/right organs!

Bleeding: I disagree with the player being given those explicit instructions. Clamping is helpful but not necessary, so I believe the source of knowing that they help should lie in the instructor - whether it's the surgery textbook or another player teaching you. If I'm not mistaken, there is already a message for when you do use the hemostat, which is good feedback.

Fail Chance Explanation: Redundant with improvements to the messup messages.

Intents: I assume by able intent (in the section about limb surgery) you mean harm intent; if so, I agree. Not just for consistency with head and butt removal, but also to help a beginning surgeon be more mindful of intents from the start.

Eye Surgery: Per above for handedness. As for the spoon, I don't really see much of an issue with it having a unique surgery item. The Cog1 lack of spoon just sounds like a mapping error. In defense of the spoon, it also completes the trifecta of utensil tools - where you can use knives for scalpels and forks for saws. I also find it strange to extend the scissors to a function outside of the chest organs, though that might just be an artifact of my personal experience of being around for the update that added said surgeries.

Chest Item Surgery: I agree up to the scissors part. If anything, it being a scalpel job neatly separates help-intent scissors and lack-of-scissors along organ vs. external stuff lines.

Thank you for making your post. I may disagree at some points, but overall it has given me a fair bit to think about, and I hope improvements can be agreed upon and implemented as a result of it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Consistent and Fun Surgery Improvements - by saccharineChampion - 11-10-2021, 02:34 PM