Mentor Application (Speaks With Stars)
What an absolute monster of a reply. Let me see if I can try to hit some of these points because this hits some really solid points but a couple of these scare me a little!

Forgive me for well, not bullet pointing but- relatively? It's rather late at night for me and I am frankly envious at your ability to compose all these points so thoroughly

In regards to ranching, hoo boy was I a mess during that time. I actually personally thought I knew far less than I did, because I only started ranching with the Clown chicken patch, so to speak. I thought there was about 10 chickens I had no idea about, and thought that there were other ranchers that knew their stuff so it was a real sharp learning curve for me.
I did try to work with people, I do recall someone hotboxing the glass chickens to try to get stone chickens on a... clarion or destiny round I think, and I think I recall the situation you speak of. I had an action plan that round I believe and I'd rolled the rancher, I was rolling rancher and botany, but I had no intention of taking over ranching, and I might be mistaken but one person I did really kind of turn away was a roboticist that wanted to help with ranching, and that really confused me. A couple of rounds someone else got rancher, I'd pop my head in and ask if they were happy or needed any help, and left them to it.
I'm really sorry that there was this barrier to entry to ranching, it was something we could have broke down but we were so focused on our own progress that we didn't open the door. I also think another big thing that came into play here was the job preferences not including rancher until it was reset, so we were always consistently getting rancher adding another barrier to entry.

I don't think I've quite gotten your points here correctly, so I really apologise if I've missed the mark, but bear with me and give me a nudge if needed
Oh god I'm really concerned about this point. I might be misinterpreting part of this, but I've always been quite heavy on don't kill silicons, and using that lockdown feature. I fear you are right in that sometimes I have come off too authoritative and I apologise for that. It's a collaberative game, and importantly there is no correct way to play AI, or to interpret the laws. They are subjective. The only thing that is objective, is that they are not objective. I have for sure disliked certain habits of AI play, but that was for stating when laws were updated over general radio, as it kind of makes it really hard for antags to sneak laws in which is a pain
And for sure I've definitely been quite strong on don't make additional AI's without consent from the AI and Captain, because that really can ruin the round for me as AI, and I still am quite firm on that one, but importantly for me it's just about consent because being replaced as a player is never fun (of course if there isn't a good reason that is)
The big thing for me really is intent behind play, I've gotten a lot less critical about the way people play over the last two months, due to some really good rounds and some really bad rounds where I realised that it actually isn't good for the game or community to be so critical, and absolutely there is no skill requirement for a single job in ss13 and especially ai

In regards to AI Main I think this is in relation to conversations after the AI PDA sniffer for all messages was added, I really didn't mean this as any kind of AI snobbery, but moreso in relation to being able to essentially identify antags to security early on in the round being bad, any role in the game can end the round for any other, AI isn't necessarily better at that in my opinion, it just was basically given omniscience over conspiracy PDA messages, and I just didn't want ai players to get overexcited about that. I really apologise if that came off as arrogant. Also I am so incredibly unrobust it hurts. I would have to pass off any murder attempt as AI as a prank, thats how poor I'd be.
I also haven't played silicon in quite some time now, I think back when I was maining AI and cyborg was december, and I was very keen on my doctoring. I've definitely seen that action has declined in server culture over the past few months too, and that me sitting in medical module for the entire round after getting upgrades isn't terribly fun for anyone anymore, I am sorry that I wasn't more assistive at that time and that you felt you had to move elsewhere to heal, thats a pretty shit thing to happen to anyone and I'm sorry about that. The only thing I can think of, is that public market to medbay on cog1 is relatively far, and my favourite kind of doctoring is paramedic style which might have been why I jumped on them to heal in that exact scenario

Oh god. I think I know this one. I definitely think I lost concentration on other things in the round because of that, I had a kudzu emergency law and was ordered to contain it, so I was very tied to the chapel, and this had priority over law 2 so I had to shift other requests back when they kept breaching the chapel. I do recall a few rounds I had people ask to be recalled from the LRT but when I did it nothing came through, so I assumed they had already been brought back. Is it possible you stepped away from the teleporter after not having a reply? But yeah that REALLY sucks so I'm sorry that happened to you guys, thats a terrible experience

I really feel like I've made some excuses here and thats not what I want to do but I just want to say I really get the sentiment of what you're saying here and I'll keep it in mind going forward, but some of that post really scared me so I feel I have to distance myself a little bit from some of it thats all! Thanks for chiming in! I would say if you ever feel like I'm putting you in a bad spot or if you feel that the conversation is dismissing you, please looc or DM me and call me out in a private setting for it so I can adjust appropriately

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mentor Application (Speaks With Stars) - by ArdentSpark - 02-21-2021, 08:25 PM