Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR] Changes the wording of Asimov Law 3 slightly
(01-09-2021, 05:27 PM)BatElite Wrote: So this makes (nonharming) self-defense a right and not an order, right? What is the use of the law in that case? If you want to allow for suicide, maybe make it
"You must protect your own existence from external harm as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law."

In practical terms, I don't think people really object to borgs suiciding as is though.

On a meta-note, I'm not fond how stuff gets talked about both here and on github because inevitably one side doesn't know what the other is talking about. Can we leave github for technical problems if there's a thread for a PR?

That's the gist of it, yes. I think your wording is also a very good candidate. I think self-defense is certainly one side of the coin. Another idea might be in a case where someone were stuck in a trench or near drones or something, under current Asimov, it's an imperative a cyborg might not realistically be able to assist in things like rescuing people in those scenarios because of a pretty high assumption of risk that has to happen there. The alternative given in the PR would make it so cyborgs could selectively choose when they might want to involve themselves in that kind of scenario. I think realistically it won't change anything with regards to player behaviours that occur now, it'll just better reflect the kind of expectations and allowances for silicons that are already occurring; which may be more useful for people who are just learning silicon roles so they don't have misimpressions that they'd be limited from good-faith game-leaving things, as well as other interaction opportunities.

Meta-note has been noted!

Messages In This Thread
RE: [PR] Changes the wording of Asimov Law 3 slightly - by nefarious6th - 01-09-2021, 05:41 PM