Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motives discussion + feedback
For reference, with current motives the chance of a dropped click scales between 0% if your average motives score is 50%, to 100% if your average motives score is 0% (i.e. all at 0%). We should probably cap that at 90% or something to stop the "so hungry, thirsty, and stinky that I literally cannot self-care" effect for e.g. geneticists who haven't had to interact with anything for ages so haven't realized their motives got so low or something.

Once you treat 50% as your personal target to avoid (i.e. treat motives dipping to 50% as a fail state, not when you start caring) they're not really a problem. We could probably improve communication of this.

If you need to click 3-4 times to take a single bite of a food item, you're either very unlucky or have just not looked at your motives until you're dropping most of your clicks (to have a 50% chance of dropping 3 clicks in a row you'd need an 80% chance of dropping a single click, meaning your average motives score is 10%). I'd consider this a non-issue as "oh no, it took me 5 clicks to eat something" is hardly a huge inconvenience when you're moments away from fixing it. A couple more seconds isn't going to change anything.

I solve the problem personally by carrying a bottle of water and a snack with me, and chugging/chomping whenever I get a free moment (then restocking when I next have a chance). I only really get into noticeable dropped-click territory when I'm playing a doctor and medbay has been popping off for an extended period, and stepping out for a minute to "catch your breath" between cases is perfectly fine. The cloning machine exists for a reason.

I think we could probably cap the effect at a less obnoxious 50% or something (i.e. chance of 0% at 50% average motives, and 50% at 0% average motives) as a bandaid "fix" to make it a little less annoying while still rewarding those who take the time to reap the benefits of the chef's labor. I think random stuns/dizziness/lower stamina would actually be far more obtrusive and annoying. If we went that way, we absolutely should add a motive readout to health analyzers so that doctors can see the reason you're falling over is because you thought spending time staring at engine-numbers-go-up was more important than popping by the cafeteria.

Messages In This Thread
Motives discussion + feedback - by Azungar - 02-16-2020, 10:59 AM
RE: Motives discussion + feedback - by Mopcat - 11-02-2020, 03:16 PM
RE: Motives discussion + feedback - by Mordent - 11-02-2020, 04:48 PM
RE: Motives discussion + feedback - by Lady Birb - 11-02-2020, 05:15 PM
RE: Motives discussion + feedback - by Ion Mage - 11-02-2020, 07:29 PM
RE: Motives discussion + feedback - by Kamades - 11-03-2020, 01:26 AM
RE: Motives discussion + feedback - by Technature - 11-03-2020, 07:19 AM
RE: Motives discussion + feedback - by Sundance - 11-05-2020, 10:10 AM