Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
this is a controversial opinion: auto-menders aren't very good
The bumping into them analogy doesn't really hold water. People aren't using menders in direct combat. You run to some begotten corner which on the station is aplenty and just do it there.

The issue that I have with meders is the muted interaction, you stand still and use mender and just stand some more. It's not very engaging. Whatsoever. 

I would approve of lowering the internal size.

Edit: The comparison kind of highlights the problem. While the time + consumption for patches and menders are equivalent (20 seconds and half their consumption), the replacement for them is not so comparable.
To replace your mender, all you have to do is refill it.
To replace the patches, you either have a spare pack of patches or have to get more patches, either by medvend, raiding the health pack (both of which can be in limited supply) or by making your own patches.

Also inventory space is a massive plus for the mender too. Your example you used 5 patches which were likely inside a box. On your belt, you could fit 5 patches, or 1 mender. It's a clear winner here, but I don't think that this is something to be removed, just considered in the wider picture.

Lowering the internal size will make the mender is a little more finicky but I think it may be more engaging to keep it topped up and switching to alternative methods if running low.

Double edit holy shit: As a balance suggestion, lowering the internal size but balancing this if not used on yourself reduces the current wastage by a factor would make the mender more unique vs patches.
Patches would primarily used to heal yourself and others in a more combat oriented scenario or EMT (i.e doctors patrolling), while menders are used by doctors in Medbay HQ primarily to heal others, with refill options on hand.

Messages In This Thread
RE: this is a controversial opinion: auto-menders aren't very good - by Sundance - 08-26-2020, 08:50 AM