Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
[Feature] Rockbox Ore Cloud Storage Device
(02-21-2020, 09:19 AM)Mordent Wrote: I am personally not a fan of this idea as I believe it will even further remove interactions between mining and the rest of the station. With this, they just need to stuff ore into a thing and that's it.

I'm speaking as a player rather than a coder at this point, I've not looked into the technical side of this patch.

Much like genetics, mining is doings its best, most effective work when they're, well, working. The most fun and dynamic experiences for mining are in the trench or otherwise off station, and given the choice between managing the incredibly annoying and, frankly, inconvenient process of sorting the piles, packaging them, and distributing their goods to the station manually vs just... not doing that... well, they choose not to, and I don't really blame them.

this is essentially the mining analogue to the genebooth. it allows mining to do their best work **and** positively contribute to the station, easily. it also solves several issues with sorting and managing the hundreds and thousands of ores they might mine over the course of a round by providing a nice, easy, menu based way to get exact amounts of ores.

it'll even split stacks you accidentally combined into single ore chunks, if that's what you need (a la erebite or miracle matter)

There's a cost for all this convenience, and it presents a dynamic where the QM has some level of control over that convenience, increasing mining-qm interactions where they negotiate prices based on the cut mining wants and what the station will actually pay for.

overall, I think that not every job **needs** to be defined by interactions with other players. in fact, I think the presence of jobs which benefit or take advantage of limited interactions help ss13 keep a wider appeal, and it makes it really hecking funny when you force an interaction with these jobs (insert picture of nuke in genetics here)

Messages In This Thread
RE: [Feature] Rockbox Ore Cloud Storage Device - by UrsulaMejor - 02-21-2020, 11:58 AM