Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Brobocop needs some love
From a design standpoint, I think that Goonstation's Brobocop is the perfect implementation of the SecBorg concept: Able to fulfill it's purpose of serving as a valuable asset to Security, without being at odds with the Asimov lawset. As you had mentioned, there is little incentive for Security to actually work with a Brobocop, but the changes you listed would go a long way into helping them realize their potential as a support-role for Security. Brobocops already have access to most of the equipment for conducting investigations and surveillance (forensic scanner, camera monitor, and tape recorder), and cyborgs were recently(?) given access to the ticketing program on their PDA. 

(08-13-2019, 05:17 AM)Sundance Wrote: There are a few issues I have with it, I've put them in order of merit:

1. Brobocop needs security channel

YES. Departmental channels have been on the cyborg wishlist ever since the AI was granted access to them. Aside from machine translator implants, humans and cyborgs belonging to the same department lack a convenient way to communicate and coordinate with one another. Due to module swapping,I'm not sure if tying channel access to the module is the right way to go about it, but at the same time I don't think borgs want to hear radio chatter from every department. Perhaps a way to toggle active channels you're listening to via the Radio panel?

Quote:2. Security vision needs to be the starting upgrade, rather than Self-Repair

Agreed, docking stations already allow fast repair. The most problematic injury for cyborgs is losing their limbs, which the self-repair module doesn't fix, making it somewhat useless. Tangentially related to Sundance's suggestion: Allow the Securitron-5000 to set people to arrest; In it's current state, the Securitron can only set people to incarcerated, paroled, and released. Giving cyborgs (and humans) a way to set people to arrest in the field and without having to sit at computer to open Secmate would be very useful.

Quote:3. Replace the cardboard tube with a WiffleBat.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this to be honest. I might come back to this later after giving it some more thought. 

Quote:4. Brobocop requires an Vape. 

Cyborgs can smoke actually, they even set off fire alarms and ignite plasma! You need to find a cigarette and light it with your zippo, then insert it into a docking station and equip it. Though you need to be quick as the lit cigarette will ignite the welding fuel inside the dock. 

Quote:5. Brobocop could do with a cuff dispenser

I like this idea, it encourages Security Officers and Brobocops to work together as partners.

Another change I'd like to see is adding coffee and donuts to the Brobocop's food synth, two incredibly useful consumables for Sec Officers. The idea of a Sec Officer's cyborg partner brewing up a cup of joe and some donuts during a stake out is damn cool.

A sound synth option for "Halt!" would be pretty entertaining as well

Messages In This Thread
Brobocop needs some love - by Sundance - 08-13-2019, 05:17 AM
RE: Brobocop needs some love - by Superlagg - 08-13-2019, 10:22 AM
RE: Brobocop needs some love - by Sundance - 08-13-2019, 11:05 AM
RE: Brobocop needs some love - by SimianC - 08-13-2019, 11:39 AM
RE: Brobocop needs some love - by Sundance - 08-13-2019, 01:01 PM
RE: Brobocop needs some love - by Frank_Stein - 08-13-2019, 01:09 PM
RE: Brobocop needs some love - by OMJ - 08-13-2019, 03:07 PM
RE: Brobocop needs some love - by Studenterhue - 08-13-2019, 09:07 PM
RE: Brobocop needs some love - by Sundance - 08-14-2019, 03:54 AM