Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mining is dead, but it can be revived!
(You can skip this to where the ideas start but I wanted to get off a reason as to why I am making this pitch)

So I am gonna start by explaining a bit where my thoughts are before I pitch this idea so people don't call me as a troll. Back in 2014 when I first started SS13 I joined goon as my first server. I didn't know anything about anything back then and cogmap 1 was still fresh and new and exciting. My learning experience came from me picking mining as my starting profession (I wanted to do engineering but I didn't know dick about how to work the engine or could figure it out) With mining I learned a lot about the game, how devious it is, abusive, cruel, but also rewarding and fun. How you can blow your arm and leg off in a mining accident with a exploding space rock and dragging your self, bleeding out across from the mining outpost to the station just to die in front of engineering and the clown farting on your face just as you croak. It helped teach me how to fend for myself against the NPCs or antags that were up to no good snooping around the mining outpost or in the diner, or trying to pick fights with me out in the field. Overall I feel like I had a good solid start in SS13 because I picked mining to learn the game to.

After awhile with some experimentation, the semi-randomized set ore zones turned into the mining Z level being completely randomized by a coder. I forgot which one. This brought on an issue that back then the codebase was really unstable (It's a lot better now but you can only do so much with BYOND) so this caused rounds to take FOREVER to render and start since all the asteroids in the mining Z was being rolled for their ore spawns. Thus a problem solver was invented, the mineral Magnet. At the time the thing was good, but then the admins removed the mining Z level and condensed space exploration to only 1 other Z level. This not only condensed mining down to just 1 little area on the station but also restricted the kind of fun you can have in space as well. Sure we had cool telesci zones and mysteries other stations couldn't compare to, but we lost a lot of use out of pods in this process.

So after all this the admins came to another decision that mining is too easy. Since all it boiled down to know was you get a pod, you put all the mining upgrades into it, then you kill rocks in the same 9x9 square with no fear of anyone harming you, dump all the ore out, make a buncha cool shit, sell the rest for a bunch a bucks, leave the station. It became mindless. SO they started to take away our key tools as well, they nerfed the industrial armor. (which was understandable it was a little too OP) and they took away our mining pod drills. At least with the drills we could work efficiently, and have a little fun and possibly defend ourselves.... But now? The drills were completely removed, plasma cutters can only be made and not started with. So now, we turned mining from a somewhat easy and at least moderately enjoyable job, to an absolute boring chore that no one likes doing or gives up like 10 minutes in because the stupid picks we have are useless against most of any hard rocks and to get better tools, like the laser drill, requires the hard rocks you can't mine.

(After Story skip, ideas down below)

So I present to you suggestions of how to fix mining and space exploration.
Number 1 (And no I am serious) Figure out in some capacity to bring back a new and improved Mining Z level. Split at least a good chunk of the overcrowded POIs in the debris zone to the new mining Z, making it less cluttered with more areas to explore.
Add more syndicate drones to make things more interesting (hide them in some asteroids that they pop out when a rock is mined as a hazard, maybe a new type) have some more EMP drones (They don't do damage like the orange faced ones that shut down pod systems these just stun pods all together)
Add a syndicate automated drone factory that is an explorable area, deadly to move around in, but is built into an asteroid and actually DOES make syndicate drones and deploys them where other drones were killed, that is... Until the facility is shut down. (It never goes over a certain limit of how many drones there can be in the Z level.)
Re-add starter plasma cutting systems for pods (At least 1 or 2) Re-add pod drills (In Fabricators only)
Remove starting mineral magnets (If this causes an issue with the server than create a small 5x5 magnet that you start off with) You can earn to build new ones or expand the ones you have by either getting the rare materials need to make it outright or make enough money with your local QM to just outright buy mineral magnets.
Mineral Magnets SHOULD BE A REWARD for hard work done to streamline your workflow and make it less dangerous than going out and getting possibly killed or maimed by the shit out in the mining Z level (But you still need to put in the work to get one)
Mineral Magnets should come in small, normal and large variants (Or extra small, small, normal and large variants) going from 7x7, 9x9 to 13x13
Give us more interesting ship debris to pick through using the quantum telescope (actual ship sections designed to be mini dungeons for the 13x13 magnet with all sorts of hazards and dangers in it)

TLDR-----> Add a new and improved mining Z, split up debris zone POIs with it to make debris Z less cluttered, make mining Z deadly, add syndicate drone factory that makes drones, add more in asteroid hazards. remove starting mineral magnets, make them a reward for mining job well done. add more rewards for mining and exploring. Add build-able or buy-able mineral magnets with different sizes, add a larger magnet that can use the quantum telescope to pull in custom made mini dungeon debris to explore and loot.

Messages In This Thread
Mining is dead, but it can be revived! - by Silvercloud29 - 12-24-2017, 06:17 AM