Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Tips N' Tricks & Little things you learned that are game changing.
(08-23-2017, 09:58 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 03:43 PM)ZeWaka Wrote:
(08-22-2017, 09:13 PM)Roomba Wrote: Don't worry, foam (and smoke) is now bugged and will never work properly again, so that's one vampire worry taken care of.

way to be negative dude

way to be vague about progress on the issue

Okay. I'll write this instead of working on a paper that is due tomorrow morning, or actually trying to solve this issue instead.

On Sunday night, I spent 3 or so hours of my personal time (that I really should've spent studying) attempting to debug the issue.
I tried multiple ways of solving the program and identifying the problem, such as going through all the commits within the past two years that touched files that might have affected this. For a few of these commits, I attempted reverting, to no avail.

However, I did identify the problem. It's caused by the location of the beaker that the reagents are reacting in. If it's on the ground, it works fine. However, if it is held/"inside" another object, the mixture only effects the source tile that the beaker is on.

This lead me to an idea. I thought that the get_turf() proc was not being used properly on the smoke. I thought this because of issues in the past where other objects would check their "location" which could be a human's backpack and not a floor.

Because that failed, I then thought that an external procedure call would be causing the issue. I thought this because within the past few years, the get_turf() proc was changed from an old variant to a faster new variant that was confirmed to work by LummoxJR. However, attempting to revert that change failed to produce any noticeable results in the smoke's behavior.

My current suspicions is still that an external procedure call or a reference to an external function is causing the issue, because none of the smoke code has been touched since this issue started occurring. My current idea to help solve the issue is logging the smoke_size and changing variables on the fly to nail down exactly where it's failing in it's spreading out, iterating through all the turfs in range that would be affected.

Picard Ughh

edit: bug fixed and paper done. it's midnight though.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tips N' Tricks & Little things you learned that are game changing. - by ZeWaka - 08-23-2017, 11:48 PM