Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Casual conversation thread, post whatever. (Number 14 woo)
i'm sleepy!
im on my break and the only thing i can think of doing is looking at the goon forums. sad
(11-17-2017, 02:32 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: im on my break and the only thing i can think of doing is looking at the goon forums. sad

Been there.
i live in constant fear of hawks eating my chickens frown
[Image: T3mHsgv.png]
[Image: WP_20171117_20_01_00_Pro.jpg]
Guernsey Biscuits, speciality of the region, wishing you a happy Homemade Bread Day and a merry Casual Conversation!
must edit more wiki pages

foss i swear i'm going to get to formatting the checklist

also i found my abandoned urge to rewrite the genetics tutorial
thx studenterhue
i have significant unhappy concerns for the health and hope of human civilization but thats kind of an unfun discussion topic.

my laptop is nearing 8 years old so if any of you have any recommendations for good games around that old or older please give some, if you like, because they have to be about that old or older in order for this poor old thing to be able to run them
Depends on what you like and what you've played. I never had the problem since I like games like CK2, M&B: Warband, X3, Stardew Valley and roguelikes like Cataclysm: DDA. Yay for open-ended games.

Also like occasionally replaying classics like Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, Morrowind, System Shock 2, and Deus Ex. Usually just a nostalgia rush through though.
i have morrowind filed away in my steam wishlist. i dont know about system shock 2 because i wont have nostalgia power because i never played it back in the day yet also have absorbed thru osmosis moderate knowledge of the game over the years so neither will it hold surprise power. recently completed a run of baldurs gate and had a fairly good time. hurm.

i always feel like im missing something when discussing old games. we all know the "big famous names" the goodgames every nerd thread talks about, but so much time has passed that overlooked rarer gems may be doomed to remain overlooked
Not a old game but kerbal space program is amazing and works well on old computers
More obscure? Mmm. Space Rangers 2. Silent Storm. Pirates of the Caribbean (2003, w/ mods). The 'Gothic' series. Divine Divinity.

Not sure how obscure those are. Less obscure: Titan Quest. Sid Mier's Pirates! Jedi Academy.

Dumb free time waster: Puzzle pirates. I'm still salty as fuck that Sony's Infantry died. As good as planetside 2 is, I'm really too cpu-bottlenecked to play it well.

Naturally these are just games I've enjoyed. My tastes are mostly shit so YMMV. Read on em' first.

edit: More free roguelikes/lites if your like those: Unreal World, Prospector, Elona, Spelunky, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
Ooh, games for old computers! Time to take a look into my library...
From my gog library: FTL doesn't take too much to run, Tryian 2000 is a fun arcade shooter (vertical scroller), shoutouts to Papers Please and Spacechem for deceptively challenging games.
From elsewhere on my shitty PC: Nethack is a classic, ToME is a more modern and RPG-styled roguelike, and if you can find a copy of Myst, play it. It's good.

Edit for more games: If you want IF, Counterfeit Monkey is one that I really enjoyed; Freespace (2) for a space dogfighter; Black and White(+sequel) is another neat game that you should be able to run if you can find it.
(11-19-2017, 08:51 AM)misto Wrote: i have morrowind filed away in my steam wishlist. i dont know about system shock 2 because i wont have nostalgia power because i never played it back in the day yet also have absorbed thru osmosis moderate knowledge of the game over the years so neither will it hold surprise power. recently completed a run of baldurs gate and had a fairly good time. hurm.

i always feel like im missing something when discussing old games. we all know the "big famous names" the goodgames every nerd thread talks about, but so much time has passed that overlooked rarer gems may be doomed to remain overlooked

I feel like System Shock 2 holds up well, coming from someone that played it for the first time only recently

One of The things I liked about it is there's a lot to be gained from learning your way around the station. 
I plotted out the best paths for avoiding enemies, created caches where I left excess ammo and items, and would cross reference chemical manifests for different floors to further the research tiers.

Made me feel very immersed in the environment compared to something like BioShock
You want a good old game?

Dungeon Keeper.

Either game.

Fucking fantastic games to sink a couple hours into at a given time.

Shit, I'd play some DK2 multiplayer if anyone knew how to set that up.