HoS Application:Technature
Usual Character Name:Adam Nehaldo
BYOND Username:Technature
Recommended by (if applicable):Ed Venture
Times Available:Unsure at this point.  Job Searching's annoying like that.

Reason for Application (300 word minimum): The main reasons I am sending an application in for security are that Security is almost always empty and security itself itself never seems to be taken seriously when they are there, by other players and by security itself.  I believe the main reason security is empty is because people find it to not be fun, which is understandable.  

I feel it's not a role for everybody who plays the game simply because of how difficult it can be at times and, while it seems to have gotten better recently, the fact that the crew screws with security to an unrecoverable point disturbingly often.  I hope to pass off what experience I have as security down to players who are trying to get used to the job as well as to encourage people to work together when they are in the role.  

I also feel that, while US2 isn't meant to be taken super seriously, that the rules meant to be followed aren't as heavily enforced as they should be.  Under most circumstances it isn't a problem, but with the introduction of Spy-Thief rounds, it can make the game seem less entertaining than usual at times.  While I'm not sure how much an HoS would help the situation in that regard, I do feel that it would be useful in at least encouraging officers to stop people from breaking into places.

Ya know, BEFORE the place goes to shit.  It's understandable not to stop minor crimes after more important things pop up.

Security also tends to be better to work with when officers know there's someone they can trust to not be a shithead, especially when it comes to dealing with other officers.  Since not all officers are good officers, having someone who can teach them they're supposed to be not shit would probably be a good benefit.

Also, maybe it's irrelevant, but teaching officers to not harm baton with the stunner on repeatedly would probably be good too.

Security Experience (300 word minimum):I first started playing security around I think either november or december last year.  It was to be honest a rough start, but I think I've definitely learned the important things to being an officer

When it comes to dealing with problematic crew members, it's important to get as much information as possible.  This should take as little time as one can manage while being sure to actually arrest the right person.  Mediating arguments is also the quickest way to prevent people from going overboard when it's not necessary.

When it comes to potential bad guys, it's important to deal with them in a way that keeps them in the game whenever possible.  If they're doing minor things or their victims are consenting, the worst that should probably be done is a ticket and a stern talking to.  If they're actively going out of their way to harm people, they should be brought in non-lethally when possible and have potential problem gear taken away (traitor gear, potential traitor gear (pens, scanners, etc.), PDA).  Only when they're going on rampages of destruction should lethal action be considered top priority (and even then borging them at least let's them keep playing so doing that when possible would be nice).  Of course the mass majority for non-lethality should be ignored if the people aren't potential normal crewmen (Syndies, Wizards, Blob) since if they're being mentioned, they're probably doing that last bit.

Being security is less about fighting or killing bad guys and more keeping general order and being a hurdle for bad guys.  A good security officer I feel not only understands this, but also works together with their fellow officers to ensure they are reaching this goal and helping to make the round fun for everyone involved.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc): I have roughly equal experience with Cog 1 and 2 security, so let's split this up.

Cog 1big grinespite security's large size, the doors in the middle make it difficult for people who got out of an officer's grip to avoid them for much longer than a few minutes (assuming more than one person is dealing with them of course).  It also means people will have to break through several walls or doors in order to access all of security (assuming they want to).  A large amount of security is also surrounded by restricted areas, or public areas time consuming to reach without said access.  The general population brig also having doors down the middle also means it's possible to have several minor criminals without too many people being able to get together to attempt a break out.  The mini-brig is quite useful as an ultimately inescapable place without assistance or really dumb officers, and makes a pretty good back-up if the main brig has been damaged in some way.  The location of the armory also makes it difficult to invade it without the proper tools

Solitary confinement itself has a window to space, which while on its own is a great escape deterrent, is also problematic if anyone arrested has an accomplice to assist breaking them out, as it's the easiest place to escape from if there's a space pod there to assist them.  The Mini-brig also has accomplice issues as prisoners can break out and be gone before an officer can properly react to the situation.  While the public brig is SIGNIFICANTLY better than it used to be, it's large size makes it difficult to keep an eye on the entire brig at once without several officers keeping watch.  The Northern half has an easy way to leave via the bathroom or the package receiver/sender room (assuming they can survive the trip) while the southern half is connected to the half of security that has potential tools and weapons for prisoners to use themselves.  Along with that, if one needs two people to be in solitary confinement, one may need to trek half the station to do so.  The armory's placement in itself is a double edged sword, as while it's difficult to break into outside of security, it's difficult to stop once it's happening and damn near impossible to fix.

Cog 2: The public Brig in security is relatively easy to monitor compared to its older brother.  It also has less places prisoners can get out without the assistance of basic tools.  Outside of the bathroom, all of it can be watched by a single officer.  It also has very few windows, making it unlikely to break out without basic tools.  The Guard Quarters make it easy to assist security in medical problems without relying too heavily on medbay.  Both Solitary Confinement cells also have emergency window...thingies...to allow them to be usable even if someone breaks down the window.
Now that I think about it maybe I have more experience with Cog 1 than 2...

The entirety of security is surrounded by public areas or maintenance.  The only rooms not easily accessible breaking through a single wall or door is the interrogation room and, Ironically, the Package Sending/Receiving room, which itself can be infiltrated through the very obvious way (The main room can be invaded via beepsky's room).  The Solitary Confinement cells suffer from the same general problem as the mini-brig from Cog 1.  Finally, the general security area is particularly big, potentially making it difficult to deal with prisoners that got away before they could be properly dealt with.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will):Nope.

Note: Personally, I feel this is less "Make me HoS" and more "How can I be better at this?".  While it would be nice if everyone felt I was ready to try, please don't hesitate to give advice on how I can be better even if you feel I'm ready for HoS.

Though I must have learned SOMETHING after a year right?
I back Technature 100% on this application. This player is level headed, robust and whenever he was in a round I was in he always had my back and did whatever he could to help.I've seen him countless times try to defuse situations with non violence and waited for things to escalate to the point he had no choice but to use self defense. This showed me he has far more restraint then I in most situations. He is more than capable to be a Head of Security and I hope more people see that here soon.
As someone who doesn't really like playing security unless I know that there are some decent officers on, I can attest that Adam is one of the better officers to grace the station. Not the most robust person on the station usually, but not the least. 99% not shit guaranteed!

As for advice:
1) Girders are indestructible without tools and you can see through them like windows. Excellent for reinforcing the brig (strip toolbelts and toolboxes)
2) Carry a medkit or two, and an atropine shot. You never know when you'll need to rescue an underling from near death, and medbay can be far away.
3) Port-a-Brig. Use it. Love it. As long as you can high-tail it to sec in 30-40 seconds, they'll still be cuffed when you pop them out.
4) Will think of more things later, maybe
Adam is a good guy, but I don't think he's HoS material yet. He doesn't play sec that often, and when he does, he's overzealous. One example that comes to mind would be a round where he was a detective and got into a 20+ minute feud with a boxer (at least I think it was a boxer). He claimed that the wrestler had somehow injected (I think it was injected, correct me if I'm wrong) antihistamine at him, and thus was intent on escalating the conflict by trying to beat him up (and eventually shooting lethals), despite several people telling him to just drop it (due to lack of proof). Honestly, I would not be too comfortable as an officer if he were HoS.
Ehhh I dunno about HoS. I don't play as much as I used to definitely but i'm not sure i've seen Adam as a sec officer too much. You're not megahitler or anything but i'm not sure i've seen any HoS qualities and what flourish said doesn't sound very good. More neutral vote now but i'll probably wait to see other testimonies and possibly change my vote. If this was just a mentor app though I would back you 100%.
Yeah I would totally support him as a mentor. He's been quite helpful to people and I appreciate his earnestness.

Also, some corrections to my post (since apparently you can't edit); it was injected antihistamine in him, not at him, and I wrote wrestler instead of boxer (because they're sorta similar? I dunno) on accident.
(09-08-2017, 10:33 AM)Flourish Wrote: Adam is a good guy, but I don't think he's HoS material yet. He doesn't play sec that often, and when he does, he's overzealous. One example that comes to mind would be a round where he was a detective and got into a 20+ minute feud with a boxer (at least I think it was a boxer). He claimed that the wrestler had somehow injected (I think it was injected, correct me if I'm wrong) antihistamine at him, and thus was intent on escalating the conflict by trying to beat him up (and eventually shooting lethals), despite several people telling him to just drop it (due to lack of proof). Honestly, I would not be too comfortable as an officer if he were HoS.

I think I remember something like this?  It may have been a while ago?
It was definitely shit and I think either I didn't know what was going on at the time (my understanding on a lot of chemicals can be...questionable at times) or I might have been particularly annoyed about something that day.  I'm usually pretty good about keeping that out of the game, but I know I can get salty and knee jerky at times.

Either way, it was pretty shit and probably shouldn't have escalated like that in the first place.

(09-08-2017, 11:34 AM)Musketman12 Wrote: Ehhh I dunno about HoS. I don't play as much as I used to definitely but i'm not sure i've seen Adam as a sec officer too much. You're not megahitler or anything but i'm not sure i've seen any HoS qualities and what flourish said doesn't sound very good. More neutral vote now but i'll probably wait to see other testimonies and possibly change my vote. If this was just a mentor app though I would back you 100%.

The main reason is because Security is on the same level of more than half the jobs in preference.  I'll see if I can't do security rounds more often for a little bit though.
technature is a cool nerd and i remember adam nehaldo being a pretty cool nerd too. mentor definitely, hos, i trust you with but i haven't seen you as sec much. then again i haven't been able to play much lately.

purple yes hos probably!
Yes for mentor, no for HoS in my opinion.
I've seen them a lot before and they know stuff so yes for mentor, but I stopped playing for some time right as they started up sec so I have limited knowledge of how they play sec. From what I have seen, I do not think they should be HoS. They are as Flourish said, overzealous. I joined a round around 60 minutes in, and he had set a timer for someone for 5 minutes for daring say they had killed 5 people with no evidence whatsoever (Don't think they turned themselves in over it). They later suicide and he permabrigged the body before I told him to go clone it (I joined as HoS). This just blatantly contradicts what he wrote in his application about letting people have fun and stay in the round.

No for HoS yes for mentor
I seem to recall you a few times as sec, but you either didn't make much of an impression or it was a while ago. Either way, it's probably time-zone differences on my part. I seem to recall you as being not-terrible, though.

Cog1 Solitary having a window to space is awesome, and I once witnessed a traitor miner breaking out their compatriot from it and escaping via pod, which lead to a cool pod chase.

A very definite maybe on big secman. Mentor he yee.
(09-09-2017, 01:12 PM)cgrn10 Wrote: I've seen them a lot before and they know stuff so yes for mentor, but I stopped playing for some time right as they started up sec so I have limited knowledge of how they play sec. From what I have seen, I do not think they should be HoS. They are as Flourish said, overzealous. I joined a round around 60 minutes in, and he had set a timer for someone for 5 minutes for daring say they had killed 5 people with no evidence whatsoever (Don't think they turned themselves in over it). They later suicide and he permabrigged the body before I told him to go clone it (I joined as HoS). This just blatantly contradicts what he wrote in his application about letting people have fun and stay in the round.

I think I remember something like that?  I know my first month or two wasn't the best and I didn't have a feel on what was completely acceptable at the time (I remember it being common to get incredibly frustrated at what was happening during that time).

I know better now and avoid the "5 Minute" thing when possible (Pretty much repeated murdering is all I can think of to deserve getting that).
(09-09-2017, 05:29 PM)Technature Wrote:
(09-09-2017, 01:12 PM)cgrn10 Wrote: words

words
This was today actually.
Wait, seriously?

I think I remember that person being particularly dumb and it was mostly other people saying things.

I felt 5 minutes was too harsh personally, but everyone else said it was reasonable so I didn't really say anything. I never even mentioned a time for the timer...I think...
(09-09-2017, 09:36 PM)Technature Wrote: Wait, seriously?

I think I remember that person being particularly dumb and it was mostly other people saying things.

I felt 5 minutes was too harsh personally, but everyone else said it was reasonable so I didn't really say anything. I never even mentioned a time for the timer...I think...

Cgrn10 watches security players closely from what I know of him. He even looks at all the small details by examining them. So even if you never said anything about the time he most likely examined the timer on his own. Once you put a App out you got to assume everyone is watching you so you got to give it your all. You will be highly criticized for any and all mistakes till a decision is made.