Poll: What do you think about the pulling change?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
REVERT REVERT DEATH TO THE FEATURE
25.00%
35 25.00%
Reduce the penalties across the board
7.86%
11 7.86%
Reduce the penalties for all but big stuff
15.00%
21 15.00%
Reduce penalties for just a few things
5.00%
7 5.00%
IT'S FINE AS IS JUST MAYBE SOME TWEAKS
9.29%
13 9.29%
Comedy option
37.86%
53 37.86%
Total 140 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Hey hey this item is really slow to pull! Fix it!
I like the stamina drain idea
I actually really like that idea of using stamina as a temporary windfall. I want to change my vote to do that for crates and downed mobs as Wire said.
The stamina idea is actually pretty cool, it also makes stamina boosting chems more relevant. Maybe we could see some actual stam chem use by people other than sec and traitors
Noah Buttes
the new misto of good ideas
I also like Noah's idea. But let's wait till the voting is done before making changes.
(03-15-2017, 04:05 PM)atamusvaleo Wrote: Noah Buttes
the new misto of good ideas

MORE STAMINA INTEGRATION YES
ALL QUARTERMASTERS NEED MANDATORY METH INJECTIONS
holy dance
(03-13-2017, 07:47 AM)Mordent Wrote: Anyone I've missed? I agree that the biggest new issue is getting people away from hazardous situations (depressurised areas, fires, antags dragging them off to be eaten/killed). In the last of those three cases: for medical, call in backup (it's not your job anyway); for security, deal with the dragger rather than trying to save the victim.

Just want to say real quick that you're wrong. It is security's job to protect the station and it's crew from harm and death and most officers will let a antag escape if it means saving a few lives. I rush them to medbay and let the doctors take it from there as I don't try and do two jobs at once. It's always easy to pick up on a antags trail anyways especially if you use the AI to your advantage. Granted if there are more then one officer playing in a round (lol) one can keep up the chase and the other can get hurt people to safety. A good way for Officers to have the crew on their side is to interact and help them when they are in need. This is pretty situational however and whenever an officer is at a impasse like that it's up to them to decide what to do as there is no wrong choice in either going after the antag or saving a victim as both choices lead to protecting the station and crewmembers.

EDIT: Security has access to Med-Bay for that and other reasons.
(03-15-2017, 11:30 PM)Ed Venture Wrote: Just want to say real quick that you're wrong...

Oh, good, you did read my post. Aside from this one case of "I'm a security officer and trying to help injured/unconscious folks who are in danger", are there any other situations in my list that you feel aren't adequately covered? The fact that you dialled in on "well, it is your job!" despite that not being the case implies to me that this is the one thing you have an issue with.

I'm not going to try to derail this topic with "what is the job of a security officer", though, but if you're going to flat out call me wrong in an attempt to discredit the rest of my post I'm happy to use actual information to back up my claim. I will concede that this is not about security officers specifically, but also applies to random crewmembers trying to get their friends out of the room that just depressurised/caught on fire/is filling with N2O. Let's drill down on that rather than the security officer thing.

You dialling in on this one part of my post and the majority of your posts imply to me that you dislike how hard it is to save people from hazardous areas. As part of the medical department, up your medchem game. As part of the security department, I still don't think it's your job. As part of any other department, it's not your job but I agree that saving Buddy McStaffassistant from the gaping hole that is the bar after being pipebombed is harder.

Options:
  • Get a cyborg to help (90% of the time cyborgs have nothing to do other than walk around looking for stuff to do); round-start ones are probably still light cyborgs so are fast. New ones are up to the whimsy of the roboticist, but many take some element of pride in their work so they probably have treads.
  • If this is a big deal for you (as either a random crewmember or as another burden you're taking on as a security officer): go to the roboticist at round start and get treads.
  • If you're a bit into the round: go see if genetics have a Musculature Enhancement/(Stabilized) Gamma Ray Exposure injector yet/trade them a stun baton to help deal with monkeys to convince them to find it.
  • If you want to play doctor, go see if scientists want to mix you up some proper medchems. Every time I've asked as a security officer they've given me something that's better than what I can find in first-aid kits. Turning the victims into ice cubes lets you push them (faster than dragging at the expense of less maneuverability). If you don't have the gear to survive in the environment you're dragging them from yourself, that seems mostly like a you-problem.
  • Go convince botany to grow you some lifeweed for omnizine (if you're security, this is trivial - "I'll look the other way for whatever else you want to grow if you get me some omnizine" - otherwise trade whatever you need to or just ask nicely to get it). Stick in pill form or hypospray form, put in the victim you're trying to drag. Congrats, most accumulating damage is now being cancelled out. If you don't have an epi injector while wanting to play doctor then you're doing it wrong. The two combined will give you ample time to get them to medbay.
  • In the case of the hazardous environment having injured you as well (e.g. blown off your legs), then yes it can be slow to drag someone else out. In all honesty, though, it was going to be hard even pre-speed changes. If you haven't got some cold resistance gear in your backpack to pop on in case an area is depressurised that just sounds like poor planning.
Since the drag-speed change I've found myself cooperating with other departments more, and noticed the same with others. Yes, relying on others is often tedious/disappointing, but I think it adds a lot to the game.
  • As a roboticist, I now actually have people asking for treads rather than getting no limb augmentation requests all round and really just being a doctor with my own office.
  • As a geneticist, people have come asking me for dragspeed-based injectors rather than me just sitting in my lab alone for most of the round.
  • As a QM, I actually get to use the fancy toys that were completely pointless prior to the nerf.
  • As a traitor, I've found myself coming up with more interesting gimmicks (and also noticed less folks doing the stun/drag/murder routine).
  • As a changeling, I've found myself planning my ambushes more carefully (neurotoxin sting is still a boring and cheesy thing, but it's the changeling's bread-and-butter and still works well if used at the right time).
  • As a security officer, I've found it easier to chase down careless antags rather than them just disappearing into a maintenance tunnel and me losing them in the darkness. They have to choose between escaping or getting their victim, and most choose to escape which means for increasing drama throughout the round as they make another attempt on someone's life.
TL;DR: I actually think the drag-speed nerf has improved many aspects of day-to-day life on #2. On #1 it has had no significant impact - if someone dies they can just sit in a cloner for a couple of minutes.
I'm honestly stunned by how many people like an idea that I just cobbled together while I was sitting on the toilet.
well, stamina does deserve more integration into the gameplay, to help make it a relevant and meaningful game feature. its worth experimenting with.
(03-16-2017, 07:33 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I'm honestly stunned by how many people like an idea that I just cobbled together while I was sitting on the toilet.

A literal shitty idea. Cackling Aloud With Gusto
(03-16-2017, 07:33 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I'm honestly stunned by how many people like an idea that I just cobbled together while I was sitting on the toilet.

Best place to think. That or the shower or in bed at night before you fall asleep.
Can I just that I'm super shocked at how evenly divisive this issue is? That graph is almost pretty.
I agree with the thing about stamina for pull speed, but here's a more codified version that I want:
Anything that is or can hold a corpse should have the stamina nerf applied to it.
Also, as long as we're messing with stamina: Using Empowered Midas Touch on your Stamina bar should somewhat increase your max stamina.
(03-15-2017, 10:24 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: I'd rather the feature just be reverted entirely, but if a compromise has to be made, consider the following:

What if pulling lockers and crates, and ONLY lockers and crates, rapidly drained your stamina until you became winded, at whuch point the slowdown kicks in? This would permit short distance hauling while encouraging the use of other systems for long distance transport.

This is a great compromise.