Thread Rating:
  • 61 Vote(s) - 4.15 Average
Ideas of questionable quality
Idea - One-way mirror/window?

The sprite would remain the same, but vision would be blocked from one side. Because of how windows work now it would be immediately obvious that something funky is going on, but might be useful. This idea came about as I was trying to think of places that a secret lab could be made.

Im imagining this working by applying silver to an existing window sprite. If someone was standing to the right of the window, then that is the side that becomes opaque.

If we wanted to go really crazy we could have it be based on light levels. If the light levels on the tile next to the opaque area is low, perhaps some visibility through could work.

Or it might just not work well in a game like SS13.
What do you need to do for it?
(10-23-2018, 12:38 PM)Recusor Wrote: Idea - One-way mirror/window?

The sprite would remain the same, but vision would be blocked from one side. Because of how windows work now it would be immediately obvious that something funky is going on, but might be useful. This idea came about as I was trying to think of places that a secret lab could be made.

Im imagining this working by applying silver to an existing window sprite. If someone was standing to the right of the window, then that is the side that becomes opaque.

If we wanted to go really crazy we could have it be based on light levels. If the light levels on the tile next to the opaque area is low, perhaps some visibility through could work.

Or it might just not work well in a game like SS13.

on the same note of probably difficult to implement window variants

frosted glass windows
  • you can only see a set distance through them, being closer increases how far you can see through them
  • light passes through without issues
forum idea: clicking the little arrow next to a thread with an unread post should open it in a new tab, rather than in current tab. its easier to close the current tab than it is to open in a new tab, especially without an actual mouse
(10-25-2018, 05:15 PM)NateTheSquid Wrote: forum idea: clicking the little arrow next to a thread with an unread post should open it in a new tab, rather than in current tab. its easier to close the current tab than it is to open in a new tab, especially without an actual mouse

*right clicks*
*clicks "Open in New Tab"*
.........yup.  That still seems to work.
If you hold down Ctrl and click a link, it opens the link in a new tab. On mobile, most mobile browsers let you hold down a tab to get a right click menu.

Besides that, opening pages in unexpected ways if pretty iffy web design.
there should be discount dan brand potato chips
(10-25-2018, 01:07 PM)Wisecrack34 Wrote: What do you need to do for it?

Not sure I understand the question or if my first post was unclear; my initial idea to make this was to have a normal window, and then you could apply a beaker of silver to one side. This mimics in a very lowtech fashion the idea of silvered or halfsilvered windows. This depends on the tile your character is on. If you are on to the tile to the right of the window and apply the silver there, then that side is the one that blocks vision from the upper right, right, and bottom right tile.

If the question is why do I want this; to make secret labs or to create tactical advantages by allowing vision for one person while restricting it for the other
(10-26-2018, 07:23 AM)Wraithcraft Wrote: there should be discount dan brand potato chips

Discount Dan's Reconstituted Potato Granules

"Hey u pop and see the stop"
Athletic Dan's Sport Drink! It has electrolytes and toxic waste!
(10-26-2018, 09:11 AM)Lord Birb Wrote: Athletic Dan's Sport Drink! It has electrolytes and toxic waste!
have u heard of dan's kafe kick
(10-26-2018, 09:23 AM)Wraithcraft Wrote: have u heard of dan's kafe kick

Coffee is for wimpy office workers! This is for only the swolest of spacemen!
(10-26-2018, 09:59 AM)Lord Birb Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 09:23 AM)Wraithcraft Wrote: have u heard of dan's kafe kick

Coffee is for wimpy office workers! This is for only the swolest of spacemen!
oh its industrial runoff flavoured legally distinct crocodile aid gotcha gotcha
(10-26-2018, 05:25 AM)CandleCandleCandles Wrote: If you hold down Ctrl and click a link, it opens the link in a new tab. On mobile, most mobile browsers let you hold down a tab to get a right click menu.

Besides that, opening pages in unexpected ways if pretty iffy web design.

ill be honest i didnt know about ctrl clicking for some reason, but holding down on mobile is a pain in the dick. i agree could be iffy design though.

technature: i know you can right click, you donk. trackpads just suck
Stop using your trackpad and get on your computer LIKE A REAL MAN!

Yeah I don't know how track pads work so i dunno bro?