Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Make the tranquilizer rifle less lethal
Right now, the tranquilizer rifle is rarely used, and with good reason, the thing deals high amounts of brute damage, bleeding, and causes projectile embedding. A bit much for a supposedly non-lethal weapon, don't you think? I suggest that we remove the bleeding and projectile embedding, and reduce the brute damage it causes by a sizable amount. If you think it would be balanced, I would also like to see the brain damage caused by haloperidol to be reduced.
yeah brain damage from one tranq dart can kill you. im surprised grifflez didnt make this thread he haaates the tranq rifle. it could do with a little bit of a nerf
And don't forget you can load it with .308 rounds, so a MD who knows where to get the fairly easy to find and get clip of .308 ammo, they now got themselves a hunting rifle without any of the trouble of using telescience or getting a surplus crate.
It doesn't help that the people who use it most tend to hit you with 3-4-allthe darts for even minor shit.

It's almost like it fires mini-buzzsaws instead of hypodermic needles.
I usually play Mdir, The reason I posted this was so whenever I empty the magazine into criminal scum, I get to bring them to the brig instead of bringing them to medbay.
(01-05-2017, 07:41 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: I usually play Mdir, The reason I posted this was so whenever I empty the magazine into criminal scum, I get to bring them to the brig instead of bringing them to medbay.

Just for the record, I wasn't talking about counter-antag use.

I mean just yesterday (or day before) I got shot with 4 or so darts for 'talking back to the Medical Director'. I was already injured, so I almost died because they just left me there.
Ive never understood why the tranq rifle has been this way. It's stupid and dumb and not even how darts work
(01-05-2017, 08:39 PM)poland spring Wrote: Ive never understood why the tranq rifle has been this way.  It's stupid and dumb and not even how darts work

future space-age darts
(01-05-2017, 07:54 PM)Vitatroll Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 07:41 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: I usually play Mdir, The reason I posted this was so whenever I empty the magazine into criminal scum, I get to bring them to the brig instead of bringing them to medbay.

Just for the record, I wasn't talking about counter-antag use.

I mean just yesterday (or day before) I got shot with 4 or so darts for 'talking back to the Medical Director'. I was already injured, so I almost died because they just left me there.

Aaaaaaaaa adminhelp this kind of thing!! 

But yeah seriously this makes the tranquilliser rifle sort of pointless in its intended use to be used to take people down non lethally.
Yeah it needs a nerf so it's non-lethal and does not leave you with brain damage
Yeah so we can hide in a bush and wait for staff assistants to come by, shoot them, tag them, and release them back into the wild
reasonable request. tranq dart rifles are designed to inject their payload with minimal fuss, keeping valuable zoo animals alive for example. the darts are brightly colored and are intended to cause minimal tissue damage, and typically do not require surgical care to be plucked out

it is reasonable too, though, that the heavy doses caused by multiple darts would have adverse health effects on a person. presumably these dart arre designed on a 1 human 1 dart 1 takedown basis.

maybe the deep embedding and bleeding can be retained as a point-blank shot on harm intent feature

frankly though it is a weapon that is lacking a good niche right now because tasers/eguns and stun batons do its job generally as good or better and can be recharged. i feel tranq is still a good choice against wily wizards and lings though, even if they often run off to a safe spot to recover from the drug
I would argue it isn't the brain damage, it's the massive bleed damage from one dart and the fact that most MD's will shoot you four times.

The way the darts currently hit and cause bleeding is basically:

1st dart: Target is bleeding heavily

2nd dart: Target is bleeding profusely, overdosed on antipsychotics from the dart

3rd dart: Target is bleeding out and unconscious from tranqs.

4th dart: Target is out of blood
The "Intended" Purpose of the tranq rifle is for dealing with people who are on too many drugs to deal with normally, as haloperidol negates the effects of stimulants and causes them to drain faster. In practice, basically nobody uses the rifle unless they are intending to kill someone, and trying to use it nonleathaly turns into a hassle of dragging them to medbay to stop the bleeding, administer mannitol, and cut out the darts in that order.
Code:
        medical/haloperidol // COGWERKS CHEM REVISION PROJECT. ought to be some sort of shitty illegal opiate or hypnotic drug
            name = "haloperidol"
            id = "haloperidol"
            description = "Haloperidol is a powerful antipsychotic and sedative. Will help control psychiatric problems, but may cause brain damage."
            reagent_state = LIQUID
            fluid_r = 255
            fluid_g = 220
            fluid_b = 255
            transparency = 255
            var/remove_buff = 0
            value = 8 // 2c + 3c + 1c + 1c + 1c

on_add()
                if(istype(holder) && istype(holder.my_atom) && hascall(holder.my_atom,"add_stam_mod_regen"))
                    remove_buff = holder.my_atom:add_stam_mod_regen("consumable_bad", -5)
                return

on_remove()
                if(remove_buff)
                    if(istype(holder) && istype(holder.my_atom) && hascall(holder.my_atom,"remove_stam_mod_regen"))
                        holder.my_atom:remove_stam_mod_regen("consumable_bad")
                return

on_mob_life(var/mob/living/M)
                if(!M) M = holder.my_atom
                M.jitteriness = max(M.jitteriness-50,0)
                if (M.druggy > 0)
                    M.druggy -= 3
                    M.druggy = max(0, M.druggy)
                if(holder.has_reagent("LSD"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("LSD", 5)
                if(holder.has_reagent("psilocybin"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("psilocybin", 5)
                if(holder.has_reagent("crank"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("crank", 5)
                if(holder.has_reagent("bathsalts"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("bathsalts", 5)
                if(holder.has_reagent("THC"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("THC", 5)
                if(holder.has_reagent("space_drugs"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("space_drugs", 5)
                if(holder.has_reagent("catdrugs"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("catdrugs", 5)
                if(holder.has_reagent("methamphetamine"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("methamphetamine", 5)
                if(holder.has_reagent("epinephrine"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("epinephrine", 5)
                if(holder.has_reagent("ephedrine"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("ephedrine", 5)
                if(holder.has_reagent("stimulants"))
                    holder.remove_reagent("stimulants", 3)
                if(prob(5))
                    for(var/datum/ailment_data/disease/virus in M.ailments)
                        if(istype(virus.master,/datum/ailment/disease/space_madness) || istype(virus.master,/datum/ailment/disease/berserker))
                            M.cure_disease(virus)
                if(prob(20)) M.take_brain_damage(1)
                if(prob(50)) M.drowsyness = max(M.drowsyness, 3)
                if(prob(10)) M.emote("drool")
                ..(M)
return
- I'd like it to retain it's utility as a nonlethal anti-fun-gun. Just sans the bleed. The brain damage I haven't really had a problem with, but it could be ditched since it's mostly flavor.