Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remove or lighten the dim on sunglasses
Monitor calibration reminder: it's totally possible for brightness things to look a-okay for some folks and way too dark for others.
Cogwerks Wrote:Monitor calibration reminder: it's totally possible for brightness things to look a-okay for some folks and way too dark for others.

[Image: 82XtOUj.gif]
UrsulaMejor Wrote:
Walrus Wrote:Yes, please add transitions lenses. I need something to go with my sextacular fedora.
not transitions, adaptive lenses. there are lenses that darken in response to bright lights in order to protect your eyes, like certain welding helmets
Shutter shades now!
I don't like the dim myself, but honestly sunglasses just being this item that has no effect other than "you can't get flashed" is a bit silly. On the one hand, maybe you're just punishing people with bad eyesight, but I also appreciate the intent of trying to have at least some kind of barrier. Now just nerf galoshes!
Owlrich Wrote:I don't like the dim myself, but honestly sunglasses just being this item that has no effect other than "you can't get flashed" is a bit silly.
why? there are a billion items like that.

in fact the vast majority of items fall into the "does one thing" category
Well yeah, I was saying that semi-facetiously, galoshes don't need to be nerfed because their scarcity is what limits their power. Maybe that's the solution to sunglasses as well, so they're not just a thing that everyone tries to grab by default and puts on permanently with no adverse effects to consider. Or maybe there should be regular sunglasses that aren't 100% effective against flashes and ones that the captain and security gets that are? I don't actually have a good solution to this, but like I said, I can appreciate wanting to mitigate the effect of an item that is freely available that makes regular security tactics less effective.
Maybe have an audio equivalent of the flash (like the sonic grenades but a melee device) and then you can wear earmuffs, but obviously you won't be able to hear anything except over the radio. I don't think people would object to that effect.
Owlrich Wrote:Well yeah, I was saying that semi-facetiously, galoshes don't need to be nerfed because their scarcity is what limits their power. Maybe that's the solution to sunglasses as well, so they're not just a thing that everyone tries to grab by default and puts on permanently with no adverse effects to consider. Or maybe there should be regular sunglasses that aren't 100% effective against flashes and ones that the captain and security gets that are? I don't actually have a good solution to this, but like I said, I can appreciate wanting to mitigate the effect of an item that is freely available that makes regular security tactics less effective.

The adverse effect used to be "if you're wearing them you can't wear thermals which are 1000 times more useful" but now thermals are worthless.

Also security has access to tasers and stun batons and every sec officer these days arrests people by burst-tasering them until they pass out so "flashes don't work on some people" isn't exactly a big deal.
Really, security's doing just fine as it is. The reason flashes can be defended against so easily is because fucking everyone has them. Hell, assistants have access to them. The reason the item that protects you against flashes is easy to come by is because flashes are easy to come by. You really want everyone on the station to have access to 100% effective stun weapons?
Cogwerks Wrote:Monitor calibration reminder: it's totally possible for brightness things to look a-okay for some folks and way too dark for others.
Exactly. I was unaware that sunglasses made things dimmer until I saw this thread.
Dauntasa Wrote:Really, security's doing just fine as it is. The reason flashes can be defended against so easily is because fucking everyone has them. Hell, assistants have access to them. The reason the item that protects you against flashes is easy to come by is because flashes are easy to come by. You really want everyone on the station to have access to 100% effective stun weapons?
Honestly I didn't even think of this. I have to say I've come around to the other side on the issue, I didn't really think about all those staff assistants who try to flash you. Let's just pretend that in the far flung future all sunglasses are transition lens, for the sake of those of us without spyder monitor calibration dealies.
Well since they lowered the dim on sunglasses they have been alot better and no longer hurt my eyes.

But I am still left asking this.

Ed Venture Wrote:why do sunglasses need a realistic element added to them?

They say its not a nerf but it sure feels like it and its one I don't think was ever needed.
Also I would like to say this cause I forgot to in my post above.

Since they lighten the dimness on sunglasses they are alot better now then when the change was made. I would be fine if they stayed the way they are but I won't lie and say I would not be happy if they were not remove because I feel like this was and still is a dumb change.

I play on my Samsung TV with the settings on dynamic (meaning everything has more color and brightness then the normal mode)
and on the dynamic setting the brightness is at 50 and I could see a Different with the sunglasses. Thank you guys for lighting the dim by a large amount my eyes thank you.
Ed Venture Wrote:why do sunglasses need a realistic element added to them?

Same reason gasmasks have a green tint I guess. Why not?
Makes sense. Pay no mind to my dumb question