Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I can't see anything out of Arrival / White Screen Bug
Everything out of the arrival ship is block by white and grey squares, I can't play the game cause I can't see anything

http://postimg.org/image/pwd5t7zkz
You're running byond in software emulation mode. Either you don't have a graphics card or you've told byond not to use it. Check your settings
I think the problem is that my graphic card is on the fix to the point where I can only run my computer on safe mode. SO thing so giving me some answer, I try using my laptop tomorrow.
also my broken computer will play any other SS13 server just fine.
I've heard of people reporting similar bugs and this seemed to be the solution:

Open up BYOND.
In the top right corner, Menu > Preferences > Games.
Enable Use graphics hardware.
So, this should probably stay under open bugs as its byond shittery as opposed to ss13 shittery, and thus not fixable by the coding staff.
Hi Crew!

I've looked everywhere, but couldn't find any answer on this... this is "feature" i experiencing on all goon servers.
After I log into the game, i can see my HUD, hear the sounds, I can even right-click anywhere to pop out menu, but I can't see any in-game icons/sprites. Instead of that, I see white screen.

I'm running BYOND in Virtual Machine (byond doesn't work on linux), but other servers working fine, so I think it isn't the case.
[Image: 0niJzqo.png]

Can anyone help me here? I really wish to play with goon's

Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news!
I successfully installed BYOND through wine on Debian.

I follwed these steps from winehq:
Quote:To get everything good make sure you use these from a terminal before installing from the same terminal:

export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine32_ss13/
export WINEDEBUG=-all
wineboot
winetricks wsh56 wsh57 jscript mfc42 vcrun6
winetricks ie7
winetricks ie8

And then finally install byond with whatever installer:

wine byonds.exe

Bash file to start BYOND:

#!/bin/bash
export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEDEBUG=-all
wine "C:/Program Files/Byond/bin/byond.exe"

So, that's the likely solution if somebody experience same problems as me.
Thank's guys all input on this topic! Problem solved!
Have you made sure you have hardware rendering on? That's generally what causes this issue.

Type .configure graphics-hwmode on in your command bar, see if that helps. If not I'm afraid one of our more linux-seasoned folks are going to have to give their input.
I double checked, and yes - unfortunately it's on.
That's an artifact of the new lighting engine, that places (as far as I can tell) alpha-transparent blocks over every square and recolors them darker to simulate dimmer areas. Unfortunately unless you can play on a real windows machine, you're stuck -- none of the VM stuff I've tried can handle it right.
As someone who experienced BYOND on non-Windows platforms before: your options are limited. I'm not sure how VMs are these days but as far as I remember both vbox and vmware are quite shit when it comes to any sort of graphics.

Instead, I would (with a hearty shudder) suggest using Wine instead. The setup instructions on the winedb worked perfectly for me and several other people.
Thanks guys for response.
Now case became clearer for me.

As I remember, I've tried to install BYOND using wine on Debian, but it failed. Let me check once more with Ubuntu, and eventually post here any results.

Marquesas Wrote:I'm not sure how VMs are these days but as far as I remember both vbox and vmware are quite shit when it comes to any sort of graphics.
And nothing changed in here, as far I know.
Good news!
I successfully installed BYOND through wine on Debian.

I follwed these steps from winehq:
Quote:To get everything good make sure you use these from a terminal before installing from the same terminal:

export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEDEBUG=-all
wineboot
winetricks wsh56 wsh57 jscript mfc42 vcrun6
winetricks ie7
winetricks ie8

And then finally install byond with whatever installer:

wine byonds.exe

Bash file to start BYOND:

#!/bin/bash
export WINEARCH=win32
export WINEDEBUG=-all
wine "C:/Program Files/Byond/bin/byond.exe"

So, that's the likely solution if somebody experience same problems as me.
Thank's guys all input on this topic! Problem solved!
Stickying this one. Thanks.

Should probably write this up on the wiki and link it from the front page, the white screen issue is pretty common and not very well documented.
I've noticed that this mostly seems to happen when I try to launch SS13 with another game that uses the video card heavily running in the background (Metro Last Light in particular produced issues with this). It also happens if you try to install a new video card driver while SS13 is running.

So basically, anything that fucks with your display drivers can cause this, somehow. :byond: