Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 2.59 Average
Removing Urine
For all that people are going 'there is absolutely no way this will lead to the removal of other things, slippery slope, let's all pretend precedent isn't a thing', the 'it's creepy and weird' side hasn't presented much actual evidence to go on. It's taken as a given that it's inherently creepy and weird, and if stronger evidence is needed it's "and some unnamed people have been particularly creepy and weird about it, no I won't go into further detail".
I'm neutral on that matter (as I don't use that emote/function at all), but if it's a problem of people being excessively gross or creepy with it I feel it should be an ahelp issue instead of nuking?

I agree that some new players will probably find it weird, but space station 13 IS a weird game in the first place. It's part of what drives people to download an ancient game platform like BYOND and try a 2D spaceman game for themselves - It doesn't have to be a sanitized gaming experience.
-----------------------

There should probably be a poll in this thread to get more player feedback - not everyone would want to wade through page after page of discussion or get into the thick of it.
I'd be fine with its removal, or at least the kidney damage compromise, to be honest.  I can't say its a deal-breaking thing to have around, but I also don't find it all that humorous either.
This seems like another one of those things that don't actually matter and that if anyone is being really shitty with it repeatedly they should be treated the same way as anyone who is being really shitty with anything repeatedly.
I think piss is fine. Its a great tool for making sec angry, especially if your character is an anti-authority shitter. I find vomit, personally, 10 times more disgusting than piss. The sound of it splashing, the color, the chunks, sometimes it actually makes me gag and horribly uncomfortable. I am also very squeamish. I know if I saw someone puke in real life I AM DONE FOR. HOWEVER, I think it has a place in the game. Not all comedy is for everyone, but I think its more important as a form of expression.I used to find pissing annoying but have evolved into seeing it as an amazing tool. I spent 50 minutes in the brig today for instigating fights with sec. I was able to taunt them into my cell by pissing on the floor and that allowed for an escape. I would not have been able to do that without piss.

Pee being removed will impact my enjoyment of the game. As a very pro piss, I am okay with kidney damage as a compromise but even then nobody wins. I think the "creepy pee people" are so far and few between that i think a case by case basis is the best option.
Others beat me to it a bit, but if we replaced every instance of urine/piss in this thread with 'vomit' instead, we'd have a nearly identical thread. They're so close in function/space. Gibs and gore as well. They don't exist for much other than to be evidence of something and make a horrible, gross, sometimes shocking mess. Vomit has ways of making others involuntarily do so with the green stringy puddles. We have the port-a-puke. Are these more or less acceptable than piss? The overlap is severe and removing one is a strong argument for removing the others and vice versa.

(06-02-2021, 07:30 PM)zjdtmkhzt Wrote: Exactly, Urs, we don't notice them much anymore, but newer players do, and they are *weird*.
This is such a great game with loads of depth, but if you showed it to someone who's not already familiar they'd just be weirded out by all the farting going on.

Has this game ever reached anyone as 'This game where you roleplay as perfectly normal and functional person and nothing zany or weird happens'? It's a weird, niche game on a weird niche engine. Putting on a suit and tie and trying to hide the pissbottles under the bed (but not the more acceptable vomit and several yards intestines evidently) doesn't do much of a service to anyone.

I feel a good question to ask, since I haven't been ingame much recently: Has anyone heard of others having a problem being grossed out by the existence of piss, and the other gross things I suppose. Specifically outside of instances where someone is being abusing it for grief or as in-character things prior to this thread.

Also, a thread about removing piss getting so much constant attention and activity compared to other threads here is probably the funniest thing I've seen in a while.
piss and vomit are not interchangeable. They are mechanically similar, but have incredibly different cultural implications.

this is totally random and not really evidence, but I've been watching a lot of shows lately and seen like, 4 vomit jokes that I remember. I don't remember any piss jokes. that's not really proof of anything, but I think it might be enough to get you thinking about the difference.

I don't really care if it's in the game or not, but I whatever is decided, I'd like that decision to be made for good reasons, if only so there will be less follow up arguments later.
(06-02-2021, 06:23 PM)GORE Wrote: The next PR discussion might be:"I am grossed out by gore and gibs! The sight of blood disturbs me. Replace all the gibs with toys and the blood with confetti.".

This but unironic. Sounds like silly fun to me

Have a player based toggle that just does this and more. Maybe filter out curse words or whatever.
(06-02-2021, 08:27 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(06-02-2021, 06:23 PM)GORE Wrote: The next PR discussion might be:"I am grossed out by gore and gibs! The sight of blood disturbs me. Replace all the gibs with toys and the blood with confetti.".

Have a player based toggle that just does this and more. Maybe filter out curse words or whatever.

Finally the clown can be attacked for confetti and candy, its a living piñata.
(06-02-2021, 08:27 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:

Best input I have heard in this thread.

100% more toggles - perhaps even this as a trait.
Gross stuff will be exchanged for a child-appropriate variation of said gross thing.

Blood ---> Confetti
Vomit ---> Ranzid Butter
Piss ---> Melted Crayon
Gore and Gibs ---> Plastic Toys
farting should damage your intestines also
my opinion is worthless but if there are a few people pissing everyone off with piss, then rather than removing piss we should remove the people who run it into the ground constantly.

rather than turning piss off, we should tell them to piss off
Don't get why you would want to remove piss or how you could find it disgusting, it's just yellow water. Seems like from what i've read this is more of an RP problem, I rarely see pissfloods on main and when I do it's amusing.
(06-02-2021, 10:25 PM)N0no Wrote: Don't get why you would want to remove piss or how you could find it disgusting, it's just yellow water. Seems like from what i've read this is more of an RP problem, I rarely see pissfloods on main and when I do it's amusing.

Honestly I think this is accurate. I play around 6-9 hours a day 4 days a week. I see maybe one piss flood a day. I think its an RP issue and honestly, its not pee's fault. Its the players.
On the SS13 subreddit and some other SS13 discords I have seen people saying that all the piss and farts made them decide against playing goon. Would removing them really cost us more players than it would gain us?

reminder: tradition is the enemy of progress. "it's a part of goon culture" is not a valid argument.