Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Porta sci program removal thread
Solid change. Some AZones might need adjustment so you can't get stuck forever maybe, but even then you decided to venture into the unknown so you should be risking not coming back. Will absolutely encourage more GPS usage, so maybe add a few more in maps as well, especially in public tool storages or hangars. I already encourage GPS usage, it lets people very easily recover you from the Trench or Space and its a lot more fun than a magic locker. Plus Telesci will get a lot more work to do, having to rescue people every now and then. Finally some decent work for you nerds.

The Port-a-Sci is extremely cheap and has shut down far, far too many interesting and fun situations due to how simple it is to just teleport back to the station. Kidnap the AI? Too bad, it can Port-a-Sci the HoS to you. Someone lost their sub in the trench? Sorry no rescue mission, they're already back. It's definitely an important feature for Telesci, but the app trivialized it and it became less Science and more "anyone who wants it". Eventually the station wouldn't have any pods because people would fly them out and Port-a-Sci back, really annoying. Soloing AZones became dead trivial too, at least this way you'll need the remote to do so.

I think the AZone loot isn't the big problem, it's probably how trivialized risky situations became with the Port-a-Sci and how anyone had access to it. It makes sense for the RD to have the Port-a-Sci as their equipment and the remote makes it a lot more RD and Science focused. Sure, people can mass produce print them still, but I'm even up for the brave choice to make it unscannable without the Syndicate Scanner. Not like you can scan and print the MDir's Syringe Gun or Tranq or the RCD-C anyway. That'd make it a lot more risky to go out on adventures. Your remote carrier died and their remote is unreachable? Time to start a life out in the unknown, you chose to come here.
I find it to be an awful change, the port-a-sci should be a public module for scientists, and is practically essential in many a-zones or when people are lost in space. It gives the rd something unique to them, true, but it shouldn't be exclusive to them, being practically a essential part of doing a-zones. The change wont hurt power gamming tele science people, but it WILL make the RD be harased from the get go, or force people to play RD so they can do the adventure. Essentially, it will only hurt people who AREN'T power gamming. Are telescience powergammers a problem? Yes. Is this the way to solve it? No.
The only input I've got here is that game design needs to be oriented around the idea of fun.

Take it how you will, just please keep that in mind.
Sure, while a daring rescue mission may be fun for the rescuers, for the person who is stranded it just means more time sitting on their ass doing fuck all. One player's enjoyment should not come at the expense of another.
If you're out venturing in the asteroid field or trench without a GPS and your pod/sub explodes, of course you're not gonna enjoy it. It'll at least enrich the round to rescue them rather than the Port-a-Sci removing all risk and consequences. Bring a GPS so Telesci can scoop you up if you don't want to risk waiting for rescue!
(05-03-2021, 02:21 PM)Varali Wrote: If you're out venturing in the asteroid field or trench without a GPS and your pod/sub explodes, of course you're not gonna enjoy it. It'll at least enrich the round to rescue them rather than the Port-a-Sci removing all risk and consequences. Bring a GPS so Telesci can scoop you up if you don't want to risk waiting for rescue!

I'm just going to point out, on RP a lot of times nobody would help you even if you call for help on the radio and provide cords many times. While it is a lot more likely on RP, its still hard for that to happen. On main you will be left to rot forever and literally nobody will care. I actually do like the adventure of trying to get back to the station from an incident like that but having the port a sci as a backup I really prefer so you can get back to where stuff is actually happening and rejoin the actual RP and station. Also, I think someone said to remove the AK in this thread which I do agree with that as the AK is basically only for power gaming.
Can't you just use the teleporter?
(05-03-2021, 04:50 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Can't you just use the teleporter?

If you mean the telesci teleporter, that requires someone that cares about your survival or dwaine and mech comp fuckery.

If you mean the hand tele, then I have to steal that and people fuck with the locations and can get you stranded somewhere worse sometimes. If you mean the regular teleporter I'm a bit confused as to what you mean.
(05-03-2021, 02:21 PM)Varali Wrote: If you're out venturing in the asteroid field or trench without a GPS and your pod/sub explodes, of course you're not gonna enjoy it. It'll at least enrich the round to rescue them rather than the Port-a-Sci removing all risk and consequences. Bring a GPS so Telesci can scoop you up if you don't want to risk waiting for rescue!

We're basically trading an infinite amount of ruined rounds for the tiny benefit that occasionally, someone will help you, and it will be fun.

But I've been stranded when there was no RD or AI, and the fact is that most of the time you don't get rescued. You can yell and cry correctly offset chords over the comes for the entire round and no one will ever help you. I've had my portal shut behind me leaving me in this situation, so it's even worse: they won't just not help, they'll screw you
Shouldn't we make some more interesting, if more difficult, ways to get back when you get stranded?
Instantly recalling people from anywhere via PDA is just so boring!
As much as I will miss it, I agree with this change. Port a Sci made exploring or getting trapped way too trivial.
It's almost like doing adventure zones was supposed to be a cooperative endeavor or something.
I heavily disagree with nobody caring about you on RP, I've had 10 people rush to rescue stranded people starting with Pilot or lost miners and it's hard to find rounds where nobody cares on RP in my experience. That said if you're experiencing that nobody cares, it's probably because Port-a-Sci exists and hopefully with this change people will care a lot more. Be the change you want to see, rescue people!
would've been more interesting if there was a cumulative failure % that wound up warping you somewhere else instead of going back to the station, based on if it's used on a non-station z-level
(05-04-2021, 10:37 AM)Mouse Wrote: It's almost like doing adventure zones was supposed to be a cooperative endeavor or something.
they're cooperative yes. are you suggesting that removing the port-a-sci makes people cooperate more? because that sounds good in theory, but its not fun to have to make someone wait at the computer/rely on someone on station instead of both people being able to go and all pack in the port-a-sci.