Head of Security Application - [Nicholas Drake]
Usual character name: Nicholas Drake
BYOND username: MDIPurple
Discord username (if you are on our discord): Purple [Nicholas Drake] #8268

Recommended by (if applicable): Slazenger [Gunnar Gustafsson]
Goon servers you play: Mostly Sylvester, sometimes Morty (whenever it has a decent amount  players)

Reason for application: In many of the rounds that I have played on Sylvester, ever since around very late August of 2020, many of the rounds that I had played while starting out as a simple Security Officer had a lack of a Head of Security. A lack of a HoS means that there is a lack of leadership for Security. Whether it be someone to be able to depend on at any time, or just someone to learn from while starting out, having a kind and understanding Head of Security is an invaluable asset to any round. To be this kind of HoS is what I want most.

Security experience (300 word minimum): Since the start of my time playing on Goonstation, I had almost always played Security. And in the time that I have played, I have learned many things.  Always trying to be interactive and fair when seeking out arrests, and trying to give a peaceful option to each engagement that leaves the culprit feeling like they were given a chance to talk their way out of an otherwise dodgy situation. Roleplaying and having fun is more important than strictly enforcing laws and being a buzzkill to someone’s fun time. I try to play Nicholas a stern but fair enforcer of the law, that makes jokes in the face of extreme pressure and stress, who puts others wellbeing before his own, whether it be a lowly staff assistant or the Captain themself.

Being understanding and forgiving is what I’ve learned to do best, if someone accidentally pushes me over in the middle of the hallway, I’m not going to instantly pull out my stun baton and go after them just for a harmless prank. It’s better to laugh along with them, rather than get angry and seek immediate vengeance. To always stay calm and rationalize the decisions of a suspect, and give them a fair sentence is what I have learned to do.

The third thing that I have learned as a Detective is to be respectful of the enjoyment of your fellow crewmates. Everyone has a place on the station, and everyone should be able to enjoy what they want to do, no matter what it is that they want to do. (Up to a point, of course.) If I know someone is a spy, and they have equipment that barely has caused any trouble to the station, I will let them keep their PDA, to continue to enjoy their experience as a rare agent of chaos, until they start getting really out of hand, because it’s boring to just take away their ability to be an antagonist at the start of the round. Removing anyone’s ability to have fun is just not the way to play the game, at least for me.

Answer two or more of the following:

• What advice would you give to other sec players? Security Officers need to be the backbone of the station, an arm to lean on and a group of people that can be depended on. And sometimes, if you make a mistake, you might be berated severely for that mistake. To understand the grievances of your other crew mates, and own up to your mistakes is important. Stay calm, and if the advice is good, take it to heart! Learn from your mistakes to create a better experience in the future, rather than lashing angrily back.
  • What was one of your favorite security moments? (Either playing as a sec officer or interacting with one) [b]One of my favorite security moments was when I was able to take down a Changeling all by my lonesome. No backup, a fight for my life. To be the shield for my crewmates, to protect the station against this great threat. I had learned about the Changeling from the neurotoxin that had still been slowly filtering out of the Chaplain’s bloodstream as I injected him with a small dosage of charcoal. Quickly talking to the drowsy Chaplain, I headed slowly and carefully around to the maintenance tunnels of the Chapel. Opening a door in a dark corridor with only my PDA flashlight to light my way, a random crewmate sprung out at me with no warning, no time for even small talk as they injected me with neurotoxin. Quickly injecting myself with calomel to counteract the effects, I landed a couple of shots with my trusty .38 Special revolver before I fell to the ground. Both of us were out cold, with both of us slowly recovering from our ailments. When I anxiously woke up, I screamed into my Security headset “NEED BACKUP AT CHAPEL NOW!”, before I headed into the backroom once more, reloading my revolver as I turned the corner, face to face with the monster. Quickly unloading my entire cylinder into it as I was stung once more, I woke up before it had a chance to recuperate from the damage. Dragging it over to the cremator that was just next to us, I hauled its body into the machine and turned it on, eliminated the silent but deadly threat to the station, just as reinforcements arrived to help.[/b]
  • Describe any differences in your playstyle when part of a full security team and when being the only security officer. Whenever I’m part of a full Security team, I’m either the point man that deals with threats as their called, or I sit at the desk, quickly entering information to help the officers that are roaming the station, springing into action at a moment’s notice whenever I might be needed, or the only one that can currently help. I also enjoy helping people who need to locate a friend or turn in found contraband. But, whenever I’m alone, I immediately get the equipment I think that I will need while I’m alone. Stun weaponry, more access, and most importantly, letting everyone know that I’m ready to help, even as the only defender of the station.
Answer one or more of the following fun questions (because it's important for the HoS to be fun):

• Write a poem to convey your thoughts on security/NanoTrasen/space/bees/anything related to SS13.
Lizard detective
whatever will he do next
slip on banana
Previous bans (while this will not affect your application lying about it will): I don't think that I've been banned before!
Drake has been one of the consistently good members of Sec since the beginning of the tide.  Understanding you took a break for a few months, it's good to see you back!  Drake's excellent at communicating, responding, and being a general help around the station.  He works to ensure other people's RP goes smoothly all while contributing to situations with his own bit of personality.

While he has primarily played Detective, something I typically iterate as not being analogous for SecOff experience (which he has plenty of as well), I think the Detective role allows you to utilize your character-building and personality in more interesting ways than SecOff does.  Additionally, you have been consistent as a Sec-adjacent Detective, working with the team and focusing on your duties as a Detective when they are needed. I think as a Hos, you'd be able to bring that personality and depth of character to the forefront while being a great contributing member of the team; helping to coordinate and encourage.

I think he'd fit the beret well, but the red and black color scheme will take some getting used to.

+1
I've had some time to observe Drake for a while now that he's been back, and I think he'd make a great HoS! I appreciate his commitment to RP and look forward to having another lizard HoSsss around!

+1!
yes. nicholas is a good officer, i’ve had nothing but good experiences with them both in and out of sec. +1
I've seen Nicholas play Security a lot more lately. Earlier I had two shifts back to back as HoS/NTSO and they had my back the entire time, constantly checking in with me/the HoS on comms and being fair and friendly to antagonists. +1 from me for sure.
I've never seen Nicholas Drake do anything questionable as a SecOff and his presence always makes me excited. He's always ready to RP and chat and doesn't overstep or shit on antagonists for no reason, so he's got my +1.
+1 I've recently played a few rounds with Nicholas and they were a delight to be around. They are able to take change of bad situations (like sec offs and detectives doing questionable things) and makes the round better for all
+1! I like Nic! Good officer, good detective, good antag! Talks on comms and PDA, tackles things headfirst, and is nice and funny to talk with! I can't believe it's almost been a year of you playing Sec on Goon. I think after one year of impeccable Security work, it's high time that you take the next step on the journey.

Knows when and how to scale back, both as an officer and an antag; I trust you to keep rounds fair for everyone.
Have been impressed with your sec play, great focus on teamwork and communication, I reckon you'll do great. +1
I've been playing sec more often again lately, and Nicholas has been a character I've shared several sec shifts with now. They are definitely one of the Security regulars that I know has my back. They are great at defusing situations, and from what I have seen, they are very fair when it comes to sorting out antagonists. Very active on comms too, always happy to reply/update me on situations when I latejoin. Also not afraid to join in with both silly and serious RP! I'd love to see Purple in the beret! +1