Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
We are in the golden age of SS13
Star 
Seriously, lets take a second to appreciate what we have right now.
  • 80-90 players at any given time
  • Fluid, lag-free movement and interaction
  • A myriad of hilarious, wonky, an interesting features to play with, that all have synergies with each other (Matsci & the TEG now for example)
  • A strong community that understands how to put fun first
  • Beautiful & clean sprites
  • Lighting with actual shadows
  • MAP ROTATIONS!!!!!
  • A stable and continuously evolving code-base with the means for players/community members to contribute at will
Man let me tell you, back in 2010 the future did not look this bright for SS13. We crawled out of a poop-smeared gutter into something so fabulous. Even when all the incredible things started to emerge (Chem as we know it today, Telesci adventures, etc...) there was a period (still not all that long ago) where goon was basically 'dead', and a high-pop round consisted of 40 players, while an average round was closer to 20-30. Now 40 is considered lowpop.

We're all gamers, right? We all have those games that stay near and dear to our hearts. No matter how old we get, how much time goes by, etc... we always come back to that specific game. For me, that game is SS13. There is no other game like it. I just want to thank everybody involved over the years who made this game what it is today. We are truly in a golden age of it ya'll. Remember these days. Post what else you LOVE about the current state of Goonstation
Call me the buzzkill I guess but iunno, golden age don't sit right with me considering only a year and one month ago we had a complete division of the admin team and leak of the codebase. Iunno I think the golden age has come and passed imo but I'm probably just too reminiscient of the past and not a fan of the current way things are going.

Eh but that aside there are some features we have now that I like, such as chimkens or non-telesci adventure zones. Open source code is also pretty nice for stuff too as well as a shift of the community towards being nicer and friendlier. Also a lot of the new HoSes, mentors, and admins are pretty cool.
I guess you're not wrong. That was a pretty bad situation though I was in the middle of one of my hiatuses when it all went down. I guess I'm looking from a purely player-perspective.
I gotta agree, the game is pretty sick, even if I don't play that much right now.
But it's very fun to code stuff, and it's nice that both rp and non-rp servers have such stable playerbases now!

All in all, I am pretty happy with the way things are going!
(Must be because we finally got rid of pathology...)
this game only ever gets better over time
oh sweet summer child
the golden age of goonstation was actually donut 2 infinite poo smoke foam grenades
(03-28-2021, 04:44 PM)shotgunbill Wrote: the golden age of goonstation was actually donut 2 infinite poo smoke foam grenades

Just code it if you liked it so much!
(03-30-2021, 06:49 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 04:44 PM)shotgunbill Wrote: the golden age of goonstation was actually donut 2 infinite poo smoke foam grenades

Just code it if you liked it so much!

you didnt hear it from me but magic mountain (allegedly) has a repo of it
(03-30-2021, 08:48 PM)babayetu8 Wrote: you didnt hear it from me but magic mountain (allegedly) has a repo of it

Zamujasa does have a repo of it. Or, atleast, an early implementation of poo when it was on trunkmap still in 2010.
Maybe one day they'll host PooStation with the very last commit including Poo instead of one of the earliest....
Unsure on Magic Mountain having a repo tho
listen, don't tell anyone, but