Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
[MERGED PR] Plate / tray smashing nerf
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
* For mob critters and humans smashing a plate or tray applies 1 second of weakness, down from 2 seconds. Attacked mob falls down and stands back up which disarms them,
* helmet protection - wearing a helmet will instead apply a disorient effect. Targets receive 150 stamina damage, are disoriented for a second, weakened for 0.1 seconds, and fall over dropping their weapon if they have insufficient stamina to withstand the blow.
* All other mobs (borgs, wraiths, ghosts, the aeye) that you manage to bop are disoriented like mobs with helmets
* refactors a little bit of the weirdness of this code, not much.

Why's this needed?
* make plates and trays worse

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Sovexe
(+)Reduced stuns from plates and trays. Plates and trays respect helmet protection

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Ehh I dunno. Was plate smashing being abused or something?
(03-14-2021, 04:41 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Ehh I dunno. Was plate smashing being abused or something?
Plate smashing as is is an instant, what, 2 second stun that can not be countered other than running away and not getting in melee range. You can knock down a fully armored syndicate trooper with a plate and steal his gun. You can knock down a security officer with a plate and steal their stun weapon which typically takes 2+ hits to stun. All of this for the measly cost of 2 glass shards in a glass recycler.

Good change, imo.
I do sort of like the Jackie Chan movie style of combat that things like plates offer.

Could this melee nerf be paired with a thrown buff? Being able to toss the plate from a distance would be nice.

Maybe blocking with a plate could stun if the person tries an unarmed punch as they punch through the plate and hurt their hand?
Make it so plates are too large to put in backpacks. Opportunistically grabbing a plate in the heat of a barfight = good. Running around maintenance hunting valids with 5 plates in your backpack = bad.
(03-14-2021, 04:41 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Ehh I dunno. Was plate smashing being abused or something?

yes always, i plated a nukie and took his lmg and sprayed him to death in like .2 seconds.
Hmm well this PR is still going to knock people down so they drop their guns it seems
I don't like this. Plating to me has always been one of the dark arts. A lot of tools have been getting nerfed recently, and soon there wont be much left to be robust with.
(03-14-2021, 10:50 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Hmm well this PR is still going to knock people down so they drop their guns it seems

Only if they aren't wearing a helmet, if they wre wearing a helmet it will only make them fall if their stamina was low or if they get plated twice wich will do enough stamina damage to them, if their stamina was low be it because of running or trying to fight I think it makes sense they would get stunned easier.
I think there's really no difference in ability to double plate someone other than the pressing of the switch hands hotkey... and a single plate is still going to hurt them.

I'm with klutz on this one, plates aren't really that good unless you know how and when to use them. Like I've legit swiped an entire stack of plates out of someone's hand before and smashed them with it without them landing a single one and they had the jump on me... I'm also just not a fan of stamina based stuns in any capacity, especially since shoving can stunlock now and plating is an instant open door to being shove stunlocked with this PR.
Worth noting that plates can not put you below zero stamina with this change

As for being able to use two plates, that’s kind of the idea. We could easily adjust this to not stun helmets at all, just apply a move slow, or require even more plates but that would be a pretty big change compared to this.

Also please note that a normal crew members posses 200 stamina, meaning it’s incredibly easy to get below the 150 limit by even a minor sprint.
I agree with Froggit. But I do like the changes to plating people with helmets.
I think helmets nullifying plates is a good idea but ONLY helmets. Not hats. Stuff like the syndie helmets, sec helmets, welding helmet, and safety helmet.
(03-15-2021, 12:33 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I think helmets nullifying plates is a good idea but ONLY helmets. Not hats. Stuff like the syndie helmets, sec helmets, welding helmet, and safety helmet.

Yea if plates were to be nerfed, the only nerf they would need is a counter; like that^ but what this PR is doing is just taking a decent weapon and making it basically useless.
(03-16-2021, 12:43 PM)Froggit_Dogget Wrote:
(03-15-2021, 12:33 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: I think helmets nullifying plates is a good idea but ONLY helmets. Not hats. Stuff like the syndie helmets, sec helmets, welding helmet, and safety helmet.

Yea if plates were to be nerfed, the only nerf they would need is a counter; like that^ but what this PR is doing is just taking a decent weapon and making it basically useless.

this PR already only applies to items of the type /obj/item/clothing/head/helmet

It does not include all /obj/item/clothing/head subtypes.

as far as I can tell the nerf you are suggesting is far more significant so I don't understood your complaint. You would have helmets provide complete immunity rather than the current implementation which offers zero immunity, where as my PR offers only partial immunity.

Code:
            if(ishuman(M))
                var/mob/living/carbon/human/H = M
                if(istype(H.head, /obj/item/clothing/head/helmet))
                    M.do_disorient(stamina_damage = 150, weakened = 0.1 SECONDS, disorient = 1 SECOND)
                else
                    M.changeStatus("weakened", 1 SECONDS)
                    M.force_laydown_standup()