Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
[MERGED PR] Makes Securitrons unable to see through cloaks.
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

[BALANCE] [INPUT WANTED]

About the PR

Makes securitrons stop targeting anyone who is invisible or becomes Invisible be it either trough a cloaking device, a genetics ability or the vampire ability, also makes them not target wizards that are in the middle of their doppelganger and phase shift abilities, as it is right now they can even baton the wizards while they are in the middle of those. there are probably more situations where it will occur but I can't think of them all.

Input wanted label because some people were against the change when I talked about it.

Fixes #2609
Why's this needed?
Still being able to be seen by them does not make sense and confuses new players and beepsky is way too strong and will still be if this gets merged, just a little less.

Changelog

Code:
changelog
(u)Arthur Holiday
(*)Securitrons don't target invisible people anymore. This includes those who are using a cloaking device or a genetics, vampire ability.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
If it do get merged Beepsky should be a special case. They can smell crime
Could also just be reasoned that Beepsky has thermal imaging, much like the AI. But yeah this is a solid change, especially if Beepsky is an exception.
Ive always assumed it was on purpose that robots can see through cloaks in general. AI and Borgs can so it stands to reason Securitrons could too.
(03-09-2021, 07:45 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: If it do get merged Beepsky should be a special case. They can smell crime

Obviously.
(03-09-2021, 08:22 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Ive always assumed it was on purpose that robots can see through cloaks in general. AI and Borgs can so it stands to reason Securitrons could too.

Same. I don't like this change if only because the little robots are one of the few counters against cloakers that I'm aware of:

- borgs/AI
- thermals (only for HoS / detective)
- construction visualizers (due to a quirk in the engine)
- t-ray scanner (only a single tile of range)

This seems like it'd make cloakers exceedingly good.
As a potential tweak, perhaps just limit a bot's detection range to maybe half a screen, about 3 to 5 tiles?
Cloakers do cost 6 TC, so I think it is fine for them to be strong, they can also be countered by flashes, unless the cloaker has sunglasses or other types of eye protection I could add thermals to the utility options sec officers get to make them more common if balance Is a big concern, I could also raise it's cost to 7 TC, but, imo, it isn't as strong as a c saber or katana and is fine costing what it costs right now, wich is the same as an EMAG or predator revolver.

Should the balancing changes ( if needed) extend to wizards too? I am pretty sure it hitting them while they are in phase shift/doppelganger is unintended, but if you think that it will make those abilities too strong I could raise the cooldown on them, the vampire cloak is pretty bad already and requires a big ammount of blood so I think it is fine, on the cloak gene I am not sure as I have never used it or seen it used to escape someone or something, maybe it will get used more after this.

(03-11-2021, 05:31 PM)aft2001 Wrote: As a potential tweak, perhaps just limit a bot's detection range to maybe half a screen, about 3 to 5 tiles?

Yeah, could probably also balance it that way, if you walk really close to them makes sense that they can sort of feel you near or something. Only concern is it hitting wizards that are close to it while in phase shift/doppelganger but I guess the wizard could just run away since it makes them faster.
(03-11-2021, 05:13 PM)Zamujasa Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 08:22 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Ive always assumed it was on purpose that robots can see through cloaks in general. AI and Borgs can so it stands to reason Securitrons could too.

Same. I don't like this change if only because the little robots are one of the few counters against cloakers that I'm aware of:

- borgs/AI
- thermals (only for HoS / detective)
- construction visualizers (due to a quirk in the engine)
- t-ray scanner (only a single tile of range)

This seems like it'd make cloakers exceedingly good.

Does clicking on a flash no longer help you see cloakers?
I did not know securitrons could see through cloaks, securitrons are already annoying as hell, I don't want them attacking me when I'm invisible.