Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Want some Feedback
Thumbs Up 
Hey there! I'm trying my hand at mapping. I've always had ideas for stations, and while this isn't my first rodeo with byond's mapping tools, this is the first time I'm seriously pushing forward with a map. It helps that, beyond the clunkiness of the program, it's actually quite easy to wrap your head around.

Anyways, I just wanted a bit of feedback for this medbay I've been working on over this weekend. While I'm typically NOT a medbay person, I've been playing borg a lot recently and thus naturally found myself gravitated towards helping out medbay and trying out the medbay module. So I've been playing a lot of medbay rounds, and that inspired me to try and make a medbay I would enjoy.

Big-Ass Picture ahead:
[Image: uG8MLcR.png]

My general goals for "my" version of a medbay was to have a bit of privacy. On a map like cogmap, pretty much everything medbay related happens in one big room. Naturally, the department devolves into chaos very very quickly. While it gives janitor something to do, I wanted to sort of spread medbay out a bit to prevent this from happening. I actually added in a second OR with a bit of privacy, complete with blinds, so that doctors, traitors, and doctor-traitors can have a more one-on-one surgery. The only thing I'm worried about is the department being perhaps too big, meaning that if you need to drag someone from OR to cloning, you have to walk through the entire department with a rotting body. Plus the genetic's monkey pen being public facing, which might mean genetics losing all of their precious monkeys given a bombing or something similar. And perhaps me forgetting about some items essential to the medbay experience (as I said, I'm not a medbay person)
What do you think?
(01-24-2021, 02:44 AM)MedicInDisquise Wrote: Hey there! I'm trying my hand at mapping. I've always had ideas for stations, and while this isn't my first rodeo with byond's mapping tools
(01-24-2021, 02:44 AM)MedicInDisquise Wrote: byond's mapping tools

install StrongDMM

i also advise you join the Goonstation Discord and get the player role, this will allow you access to the #immapper channel - A channel specifically for making maps, getting quick feedback & responses ect ect.
---
[Image: d4Yu4qH.png]
This reclaimer is too far away from the cloner, you're just wasting biomatter, only have the one by the cloner.

[Image: rKaQQo4.png]
Use of wrong blinds. See offices on newer maps for the new version.

[Image: iyqZL0s.png]
Some of these railings are pixel offset, some aren't. Keep it consistent.

[Image: mK5U90N.png]
Why are these just placed infront of the Maint door? Why does medbay have security equipment?

[Image: EJ3KGkg.png]
As per the mapping guidelines, it is forbidden to use Thindows on new maps, as you have done here and near the Gene Vender.
"Non-full-tile windows (‘thindows’) should not be used, as they are being phased out."
Thanks for the feedback! Most of the feedback, such as the segways, thindows, and blinds are because I was keeping a second tab of cogmap1 open to ensure my medbay had everything it needed. So, for example, cogmap1's breakroom has segways, so I copied those over somewhat thoughtlessly. It seemed like they were there to help doctors wanting to be paramedics.
[Image: UlkIHI9.png]
The same goes for the thindows - since cogmap1 had them, I decided to use them in my map. Oops! Stuff like this is why I wanted some feedback now. The pixel offset is not in the map; it's a result of stitching together screenshots using paint. You can see everything on that axis is shifted over slightly. I'll definately get on discord and get that player role too.
(01-24-2021, 06:10 AM)MedicInDisquise Wrote: The same goes for the thindows - since cogmap1 had them, I decided to use them in my map.
I would generally advise against using Cogmap 1 as a guideline, it was designed almost a decade ago. I recommend using newer maps such as Oshan, Kondaru & Donut 3

(01-24-2021, 06:10 AM)MedicInDisquise Wrote: The pixel offset is not in the map; it's a result of stitching together screenshots using paint.
Use StrongDMM in future. It has a feature to exactly screenshot specific parts of a map, nullifying the need to stitch together screenshots.
(01-24-2021, 07:44 AM)Comrade f191 Wrote: I would generally advise against using Cogmap 1 as a guideline, it was designed almost a decade ago. I recommend using newer maps such as Oshan, Kondaru & Donut 3
To add to this, newer maps have plenty of cool design aspects you can borrow or be inspired by.