Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MERGED PR] Adds the Security Assistant job
Thumbs Up 
PULL REQUEST DETAILS

About the PR
This PR adds the security assistant, a lower access and lower stakes security role that allows newer players to learn and get acclimated to security play without being bombarded with a bunch of responsibilities. The role emphasizes communication and investigation skills, rather than combat.

The security assistant role has a minimal timelock (5 rounds) to serve as a very low barrier of entry, in order to encourage newer players to try out the role. However, the timelock for regular security officers has been raised (30 rounds, though this number can be debated and lowered if need be) so that people's introductions to security aren't so high pressure. There are two security assistant slots every round, which should hopefully enable a synergy of officers teaching assistants and trainees assisting officers where they can, without either party getting too overwhelmed.

The security assistant:
- Receives a special security token that is redeemable for a barrier, a forensic scanner, and a special security ticket writer device (sprite by Flaborized!)
- Receives a special security pouch with two pairs of handcuffs, two flashes, a whistle, and a frosted donut
- Spawns with a special security assistant jumpsuit (sprite by Flaborized!), fingerless gloves, and brown shoes
- Like regular security officers, spawns with security trainee, a clone disk, a badge, secHUDs, and a security headset
- Like regular security officers, cannot be an antag, and has been blacklisted from gamemodes such as gang and rev
- Has access to the security department, the brig, maintenance tunnels, and weapon and contraband permits
- Has lower pay
- Unlocks a special medal when they escape alive to Centcom

This PR also:
- Adds a paragraph on guidance for security assistants and their expected responsibilities in Space Law book
- Adds a special security alert module that now spawns in all security PDAs. When used, this module sends a "backup requested" PDA alert to the entire security department from the user's PDA
- Adds the special security ticket writer device to all maps' security departments
- Cleans up some weapons vendor code

ToDo
These are thing I hopefully want to do but would greatly appreciated if others assisted.
- Add wiki page for security assistants
- Add possible Security For Beginners guide book

Why's this needed?
To provide an entry point to players interested in the security department without starting off in a high pressure job like security officer, while also expanding the security department to be more of a department and less 5 dudes with electrified sticks governed by a guy in a cape with a speaking gun.

Changelog will be updated to reflect what changes are currently considered finished
Changelog

Code:
(u)Carbadox, Flaborized, and Flourish
(*)Added a new permanent security role, security assistant. This role will provide an entry point to players interested in the Security department without having to start off in a high pressure role like security officer. Please be nice to them!
(*)Security PDAs now spawn with a special security alert module. When used, this module sends a "backup requested" PDA alert to the entire security department from the user's PDA.  
(*)Security departments now have a couple ticket writer devices laying around, which allow officers to issue tickets (and only tickets) without having to wrangle with their PDA.

PULL REQUEST DETAILS
Yes. No brainer for me, sec timelock needs to be raised, I've seen so much need for better understanding of round flow, manner, and responsibilities recently on RP1. Excited about the backup call on PDA. Batonless and taserless specialty loadout that still leaves the player with some utility items seems super cool!
I think 50 rounds might be a bit high, especially for RP1. Still, this is a generally positive change.
I like it, seems Good To Me! I don't know how easy to implement it would be, but having the sec assistant count as More Rounds towards the sec officer roundlock could be good? I'm also curious to see if two slots is too few, though I think we'll only really be able to tell through playtesting and seeing how players react to the role, and if it feels like an 'always full' sorta job.
I love it! I also like Flaborized's idea that "training rounds" could help reduce the overall wait. It shows commitment to learning the role before diving in as a full Sec Officer.

Thank you so much for all the time and effort that has gone into this PR!
Seems good to me! I'd love a lower barrier of entry into playing security.
Good PR. Whoever made this was clearly a very smart individual!!

On a serious note, I think it'd be good to bump up the job slot to 3, apart from Manta. 2 is just barely enough and 3 would be a good inbetween IMO.
(01-23-2021, 10:19 PM)Flaborized Wrote: I like it, seems Good To Me! I don't know how easy to implement it would be, but having the sec assistant count as More Rounds towards the sec officer roundlock could be good? I'm also curious to see if two slots is too few, though I think we'll only really be able to tell through playtesting and seeing how players react to the role, and if it feels like an 'always full' sorta job.

I personally hate the 50 being the cap, but having the trainee role speed it up makes that much more bearable.
50 rounds? Jesus that's almost 50 hours of play time.
I think 2 slots is good. Also, yea, 50 rounds is way too high. Maybe just keep it at 13?
In favour of 50 rounds! Finally, an actually sane amount of rounds needed!
If people disagree that 50 is too high, I think lowering it down to 30 would be a good middle ground.
Having the sec assistant count as more rounds would be really neat, but right now, with the code that we have, it's not possible. I could maybe do something where you get job XP as a security assistant, and if you have enough XP, you can bypass the security officer timelock, but that would be in another PR. If most people think that 50 is too high, then I can also just change it to 30 for now!
I think it should be based on your hours played, not rounds played. It should be possible now since we have playtime tracking? Because otherwise you'll end up with a situation where RP players have to spend more than twice the time playing the game than goon2 players. And I think 30, even 50 hours is reasonable. You need to let the new player get to know at least some game mechanics, and more importantly, the server culture.
30 is reasonable, 50 is a whole load on RP. 13 is why I have to help people with basics of using their hands.
I think the 30 round compromise sounds great. Overall really like the idea of a training role and raising the reqs though. Theres been some major issue with sec quality and teamwork some recent rounds and I'm sure this will help.