HoS App - xRev
Usual Character Name: Logan Wolfe (this is always my name)
BYOND Username: XRev
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Times Available: GMT +1/+2 (depending on summer time) from 11am to 11pm. I have holidays so a lot of available time.

Reason for Application (300 word minimum):
I think I can make the station more fun with me as HoS while being serious. I have a good sense of humour, and I think HoS is generally a very fun role on the servers. I always remain honest no matter what seeing that is the best way to approach situations (OOC ofcourse). On other server my favorite role is HoS, and I think I can do that very well on this community aswell. People have often told me I know my way with space law a great deal on other servers. Now I know there's no space law here (at least no at the wiki), but I know my way around quite well and always use my common sense. If this application does succeed, I will always do my best to be as serious as I can, and I will always follow the rules and guidelines given to me. I will make sure that the officers do the actual job of capturing traitors and other criminals, and that I will keep them in line, not the other way around. I think I'm well suited in holding responsibilities like these and I have held them before. I will also always perform the correct protocols when they're there, and if they aren't there, I'll make up a logical way of action and use that. I know the rules very well. If I would be HoS on this it would be quite a big deal for me and I would be honoured to do that. I have a lot of fun on SS13 so far and I want to enhance that with being HoS. I barely play other servers now. And though some people are just utter trolls and frustrate the crap out of me, I can find it very well with most people if they act maturely.

Security Experience (300 word minimum):
I have a huge load of experience with me on being security. Not only on these servers, but also on almost every other server (except for the ones not running basic code such as xenostations). HoS is my favorite role on most servers. Even outside of SS13, I have a huge experience of being security and/or police. I know how to keep people compliant within the boundaries. I know the boundaries, and I will never ever break them. I've played security on games like ArmA 2, ArmA 3, and other simulation games. I'm always prepared for anything to happen, and I think that's part of the job. Like I said before, my experience with Space Law (though this is unofficial, it will come in handy) is great. I've always kept my officers busy with stuff because I know that if I don't do that, they will just be messing around on the station, so I better keep them in check.
I know how to use all of the consoles on the servers, so there won't be any problem with that. I wouldn't really know what would pose a problem, I think I'm fine to do this. I've also played a lot of Jailbreak, where you're more or less a prison guard (I just count that in as experience). Now I now a lot of people got jobbanned from those positions, but I was never jobbanned from such position. I'm also capable of writing reports and organizing things. Keeping manifests serves no problem. I'm slightly autistic, which also means that I can focus on things very well (just as with most high-functioning autists). I'm fully willing to give everything in order to be HoS here. On multiple games incl. SS13 I know my way around well with weaponry. If there's a security option in a game I always play it and I'm likely to love it, so is the case with SS13.

In your opinion, what are the flaws and benefits of the current security layout (brig, cells, security room etc):

Benefits:
+ People are not likely to break in without being seen.
+ Important areas are easy to access.
+ When people are taken out of the Port-A-Brig, they're already in the Brig area, so they can't escape.
+ The design is nice.

Flaws:
- With the Detective's access to the Port-A-Brig, they're most likely to have it first, while it belongs more to an officer than to a detective, since an officer should arrest more.
That's the only flaw I could come up with, good job smile :P

Your opinion of Shrek (5 word minimum): He's a very nice guy.

Previous Bans (While this will not affect your application lying about it will): None.
Thank you in advance for reading my application.
I hope to get a reply soon.

xRev
How long have you been playing on goon servers?

Your app seems pretty good to me, although the focus on your experience in other servers makes me wonder if you're aware of the subtle differences between the role of hos here and the role of hos there.

I'll keep an eye out for you in game! I'll give my answer in a few days after I hear what other people think.
I can't say I've seen you around a whole lot personally, so my opinion is going to be mostly based on this application for now, though I will be looking out for you ingame more.

The first real problem I have is this idea that the job of the HoS is to uphold space law. Now I'm sure this is the HoS' main job on other servers, but I wouldn't really say that's what it is here. The job of a HoS is to make sure security is behaving, and that the antagonists are having fun rounds too. It's less about protocol and more about fun.

Now let me outline a few things here.

xRev Wrote:I will always do my best to be as serious as I can.
While this is good, being constantly serious as a HoS is not really needed, and actually could be detrimental as you become more focused on handling a situation in a serious way, rather than a fun way.

xRev Wrote:and I will always follow the rules and guidelines given to me. I will make sure that the officers do the actual job of capturing traitors and other criminals, and that I will keep them in line, not the other way around.
The first part of this is good, though I don't really know who would be giving you rules and guidelines outside of the actual rules and guidelines of the server. The second part worries me a bit as the job of sec really isn't to capture criminals, it's mainly just to keep order. Heck, I'm usually happy if I end a HoS round without having to drag a single person back to the brig. As for the last part, that's a good attitude to have when it comes to controlling sec.

xRev Wrote:Like I said before, my experience with Space Law (though this is unofficial, it will come in handy)
Although it's good to keep in mind, I'd try not to follow space law to closely. Here it's more or less up to the HoS what the law is. From what I understand space law encourages brigging for stuff like assault and theft, which I wouldn't advise here. (Though if you can make it fun for the involved parties there's no problem with it)

Other than all that I'd say you would be fitting for the role. I'll give a yes provided you understand the HoS isn't the upholder of the law, but the upholder of fun and isn't a super serious role. Maybe observe how some of the current HoS' play and you'll get an idea for what I mean.
Readster Wrote:I can't say I've seen you around a whole lot personally, so my opinion is going to be mostly based on this application for now, though I will be looking out for you ingame more.

The first real problem I have is this idea that the job of the HoS is to uphold space law. Now I'm sure this is the HoS' main job on other servers, but I wouldn't really say that's what it is here. The job of a HoS is to make sure security is behaving, and that the antagonists are having fun rounds too. It's less about protocol and more about fun.

Now let me outline a few things here.

xRev Wrote:I will always do my best to be as serious as I can.
While this is good, being constantly serious as a HoS is not really needed, and actually could be detrimental as you become more focused on handling a situation in a serious way, rather than a fun way.

xRev Wrote:and I will always follow the rules and guidelines given to me. I will make sure that the officers do the actual job of capturing traitors and other criminals, and that I will keep them in line, not the other way around.
The first part of this is good, though I don't really know who would be giving you rules and guidelines outside of the actual rules and guidelines of the server. The second part worries me a bit as the job of sec really isn't to capture criminals, it's mainly just to keep order. Heck, I'm usually happy if I end a HoS round without having to drag a single person back to the brig. As for the last part, that's a good attitude to have when it comes to controlling sec.

xRev Wrote:Like I said before, my experience with Space Law (though this is unofficial, it will come in handy)
Although it's good to keep in mind, I'd try not to follow space law to closely. Here it's more or less up to the HoS what the law is. From what I understand space law encourages brigging for stuff like assault and theft, which I wouldn't advise here. (Though if you can make it fun for the involved parties there's no problem with it)

Other than all that I'd say you would be fitting for the role. I'll give a yes provided you understand the HoS isn't the upholder of the law, but the upholder of fun and isn't a super serious role. Maybe observe how some of the current HoS' play and you'll get an idea for what I mean.

Hey, thanks for replying!
Let me get a few things straight.

1. With 'I will always do my best to be as serious as I can.' I mean that I won't be acting as a clown.

2. What I mean with the second part you quoted of me, is that I won't be doing the officers' job.

3. On the third part you quoted of me, (though this is unofficial, it will come in handy), which exactly states what you say. I won't handle everything of it, but I can take parts of it that come in handy.
FrontlineAcrobat4 Wrote:Dude i'm just glancing at your application and it does not look like you wrote down 300 words on either part of the application
307 and 322
Sorry about that then, I'll see if I can catch you for a shift to see how well you play!
Hey no problem for the mistake with the amount of words.
I suppose it's very frustrating if you look at others' application and you do not see the required amount of words, but those are indeed fine.

Yeah we'll likely play a shift together if you're at GMT +1/+2.
Liked the application, seems like a decent guy. Haven't seen him playing online though, much like the other commentors here. Would like to see him in a few rounds playing security before he gets HOS.
Played around 3 or 4 hours this day. Hard to miss me. smile
I didn't refuse to play a mindslave, I actually even posted an adminhelp regarding it!
I didn't get a response. You can check it up.

After that, my parents told me we had to go, which I really had to, so I didn't log out due to that.

You can either believe it or not, but this is the way it went.
So, I'm the mindslaver in this situation, and you were a stupidly big jerk as an HoP. I was a roboticist traitor, hanging around the HoP's station, trying to find a way to kill you, since you were my target. You complained about the captain giving everyone genetics access, saying that all engineers were turned into geneticists, or something to that end, at which point I stepped up to the plate, saying that I will get the engine running, all the while planning to get my hands on the gloves and other stuff and just play it by the ear from there. You took my ID and stated that you will take away my robotics access, and I asked you multiple times not to do it, but you were entirely adamant that I don't need it - something that I found to be extremely dumb, unfun, and petty.

Quite naturally, I got a little mad, welded down the table separating us and mindslaved you, at which point, I ordered you to make me an all access. You did that, then I ordered you to kill yourself in no uncertain terms, since I was a bit peeved and you were, after all,my target. (Ordering mindslaves and subverted AIs to kill themselves is an unfun thing, but I thought you warranted that at the time) You replied "I cannot, Master". I stated again, without any uncertainty, I want to point out, and you replied, yet again, "I cannot, Master", like some sort of weird AI, who was looking for a loophole in the laws to get out of his death. At this point, I think I told you to do it a third time, while trying to come up with another way to coax you into getting killed such as rampaging in genetics with nothing but your bare fist, but the AI started chattering on the machine channel about us and I had to scram, so I only found out later that you logged off.

To be honest, I'm more annoyed by your behaviour as an HoP, since when a player tried to step up to the plate and perform the duty you actually thought was needed to be performed, the first urge you had was to penalize him for it by limiting his access when he specifically asked you not to do so - you being a baby about the mindslave was the icing on the crap cake.
If you didn't know that a mindslave has to kill him- or herself upon being commanded to do so by the mindslaver, you clearly haven't been around long enough and are not knowledgeable enough to be an HoS.
Nope.
Definite no from me. Not only have I never seen you. But you appealed a day ban, then said it way fine because it was not under 24 hours.