Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Donut 3 Mapping Thread
Welcome to the 3rd giant donut masquerading as a "competently designed" orbital research facility!

Though Donut 2 is not as much a part of my nostalgic memories of SS13 as it is for others, I am very fond of the iconic station shape. I'm making a new Donut map from the ground up, taking the basic shape of Donut 2 and would like to improve on its problems as much as possible. This way we can get a donut map that avoids the pitfalls we've learned of from our experiences with its predecessor.

Please give any criticisms, ideas, feedback, etc. you may have here!

Donut 3 Roadmap:

DEPARTMENTS
  • Bridge: Done!
  • Security: Done!
  • Medbay: Done!
  • Research: Done!
  • Cargo: Done!
  • Engineering: 75%
  • Civilian: 15%
OTHER
  • Maintenance: 75%
  • Medical Asylum: Not Started
  • Hallways: 55%

Here's a picture of what I have as of: 1/16/2020, 1:20PM
[Image: WP3VJCO.png]

I hope I can make something you'll all enjoy!
It'd be neat if there was maintenance and stuff in the center to give blobs a good shot.

The security design is very nice. I really like the pod bay having a proper walkway between the two pods.
Update time whee!!
Here's a pic as of: January 23 @ 10:58AM
[Image: TfAEsG3.png]

Mainly what I've spent time doing is polishing up maintenance and Research a little, as well as adding the last two rooms: The Buddy Zone, and Pathology!

Here's Patho:
[Image: GG7YWbT.png]

(01-22-2020, 08:41 AM)Leeanei Wrote: It'd be neat if there was maintenance and stuff in the center to give blobs a good shot.

The security design is very nice. I really like the pod bay having a proper walkway between the two pods.

Thanks! I'll take that into consideration as I don't know what I want to put into the donut hole yet.
WOOHOO 2020 UPDATE LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Here's a pic as of: February 17 @ 1:18PM
[Image: et4WsjS.png]

We got 2020 stuff! We got... FANCY LIGHTING!!!!!!!!!111!!one!!!!

I wanted to bring a bit more color to the station lighting, so I'm using slightly tinted colors appropriate for each room! And with the greater importance of each room, the lighting hue becomes more saturated!

For instance, here is the Bridge:
The colors aren't too pronounced, but there's a subtle bit of blue!
[Image: YrM4jZG.png]

Here's Sec:
For Sec there is naturally some red!
[Image: 7BXDrXQ.png]

And to show a more pronounced hue, the Armory:
Because this is a Very Important room, it gets even more red!
[Image: WanZZZR.png]

The 2020 release has really opened up a lot of possibilities for mapping, and I am really excited to use as much of it as I can to achieve a really cool aesthetic!
BEEG update!!! I've finally gotten out of my burnout and got back onto this! I got another week of not as much to do thanks to the quarantine
We got Supply (mostly) done! Lighting for most other places are done too!!!

Here's a progress pic as of: March 17, 2020.
[Image: NwLdg8O.png]

Here's the screenies of Supply ingame!
Bottom part:
[Image: 855jm9l.png]

Top:
[Image: lstheS2.png]

I'm going for some weirder map shapes for Supply. The placement of the QM consoles aren't final as I'm gonna find a spot closer to the conveyor belts to move them to.

I also got...
An escape shuttle!!
This is juuust west of the Clarion's shuttle.
[Image: HnnD3jv.png]

A little highlight of every new feature in this shuttle!
(there's a few more chairs in the final products, dw)

[Image: 6Vu3vPw.png]
I tried to make the new features unobtrustive as possible (aside from the donut hole, that is very deliberate.)

Now, I retreat to my mapper cave!!! swoooce
Looking really good so far! Amazing work!

I agree with Leeanei, though - additional maintenance and low-traffic areas would be nice to have. Think Cog2's maintenance shafts - IMO they are the pinnacle of maint design.

Regardless of how you would like to take this, new maps are always nice! big grin
(03-17-2020, 07:08 PM)aft2001 Wrote: Looking really good so far! Amazing work!

I agree with Leeanei, though - additional maintenance and low-traffic areas would be nice to have. Think Cog2's maintenance shafts - IMO they are the pinnacle of maint design.

Regardless of how you would like to take this, new maps are always nice! big grin

About maintenance...
I'm taking a new spin on maintenance as you may have noticed...!

I am aiming to make maintenance less... safe, in a word. More labyrinthine, more dark, more easy to get lost in... and yes, plenty of low-traffic spots to go with it!
An example:
[Image: vFVWDyY.png]

In here, you have two different ways to enter the hallways to the south, to the northeast is Medbay, and just above all this is the path to another dead end room. And to the northwest is a closet behind a door.

This section of maint is more or less what I'm going to design everywhere else like wherever I can!
Oooooh, I quite like the idea of maint being a messy jumble of halls and compartments with plenty of nooks and crannies to get lost in, explore, or do naughty things!

Keep up the good work! The design is looking really good so far!
Back with a new, mini-update for a thing I meant to get on since I started making the map! I finally got to it and finished them last night: Railings!
[Image: onSIqvV.gif]

They layer , they block stuff off and can be colored whatever you want!

[Image: 2zgvCel.gif]

They're mainly gonna be used in maintenance tunnels, like so:

[Image: f6pHpeR.png]

You can shoot stuff and toss stuff over them! If a thing/mob can go through a table, it can go through a rail! I'll work more on their interactivity (construction/destruction/etc.) later, but for now they will do well as map elements and things that block off certain spots.
Maybe rails could be a thing that can be flipped over by normal crew? We don't currently have an object like that

Also, I'd love to see skateboards eventually be able to grind on rails
Supply is complete!

Current progress as of: March 20 @ 12:30PM

[Image: vewPQQw.png]

And, some ingame scrots of Supply!

I am already making plenty of use of the new railings! Also, The upstairs break room in Supply has randomly spawned snacks that spawn on the plates.[Image: 9OFggHo.png]
[Image: iNPlsyb.png]

Next up, just across the hall of here... Engineering! I am scared.

(03-20-2020, 06:07 AM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Maybe rails could be a thing that can be flipped over bymal crew? We don't currently have an object like that

Also, I'd love to see skateboards eventually be able to grind on rails

Yeah, I'm gonna be adding functionality to the rails like that once I'm done with the map. Great ideas though, make maintenance a cool skating challenge!
Engineering is nearly done! I'd say it's about 3/4 now.

Lord Singuloth's throne is fully assembled!
[Image: MeggM9Z.png]

It is fully compatible with the engine computers now, complete with a PTL connected to it!
Video of both in action here:
https://puu.sh/Fp211/46b0543854.mp4

Also, I uh... may have gone a little overboard on the CE's office.
[Image: 1LDIq2o.png]

Sooo, I am going to retroactively cool-up the other heads' offices and quarters... starting with the Captain's!
I just kinda took the idea of the cap having a bonsai tree and ran with it...
[Image: xiyqtlR.gif]

And yes, every other head will be getting a makeover like this!
this is so cool!
I've been starting to fall back into irl obligations, but that isn't gonna stop me from finishing this gosh darn donut!

I don't have any fun screenies to share this time around because I have been mostly wiring up the parts of the station together... Okay maybe I do have a couple fun screenies if you, engies, can forgive me for the atrocity I am unleashing on you all.

To show you what i mean... Behold the travesty that is Donut3 maintenance wiring!

[Image: 67S9aq5.png]

The craziest part? It's actually all functional. I tested it ingame and this crime against Engineering actually works.
Don't worry too much though, the wires become far more readable and less loopy once you actually get into the departments.

[Image: T2xFpEX.png]

You may also have noticed that the majority of the station's wiring runs through maintenance, and not the main hallways like they do in most other maps...!
Because maint is unusually bigger, and structured more like an actual proper maintenance system, they're going to be functionally used as such too!

Also, a word to the wise... don't put cable knots on the maintenance catwalks. It electrocutes them since they're like grilles.

Before I lose my mind over wiring by cable instances, I'm gonna stop the wiring for the time being.

Next up on the chopping block: The AI core! The working idea at the moment is that the AI core will have the honor of filling in a part of the donut hole. I'll have to see how it looks in practice first, so expect a post on that soon!
Good news, everyone!
I have finished the AI Core!

[Image: hRXhECF.png]

Ingame screenie:

[Image: COOBJw2.png]

EDIT: Also worth mentioning!!!
No, that's not the AI upload, this is only the chamber. The upload itself is going to be much more on-station.