Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Journalists should be able to write and submit stories that are shown at end of round
Journalists would begin each round with a PDA program/cart that allows them to scan a sheet of paper. The scanned text would then be displayed on the PDA along with a button that submits the story for approval. A Head or the Captain may approve the story and "send it to the press".

The end-of-round pop-up would be similar to Security tickets, but with newspaper flavor. 

Another fun use for the scanner would be to scan photos to be displayed alongside published stories.

Alternative story creation methods would be using a special typewriter that transmits stories to be published, or by requiring the Journalist to successfully bring a written story on a shuttle that makes it back to CentCom.

Options for abuse prevention include a minimum word count and/or limiting stories to one per round.
I love the idea but in practice, end of round is a mess and its often too rushed to appreciate much. Going off the Tickets theme, those get exported off server for posterity. Something with HTML forms could probably be mocked up to either submit the story to Web storage (more work, more risk) or make it easier for players to submit in the forums here, then curate Good Articles into the Wiki and in-game pool.
Other servers I believe have curated reports that give news - they're wall mounted, i believe TG's syndicate outpost has neat things where you can upload syndicate propaganda on it.

I'd personally love something like this, give a computer to the HoP (news reports/propaganda seems his niche) and another computer in an appropriate place for the Journalist to tinker with that would update these. I'd go so far as giving a PDA ping whenever something is uploaded.

NEWSFLASH: EVERYTHING IS FINE
Oh, what if there were some dedicated screens around the station that displays stuff? You could stick a piece of paper on, say, a board in the information room, and everyone could see it?
There are clipboards already, though those are single-location and nobody really uses them...
(06-12-2019, 04:12 AM)Cogwerks Wrote:  ...end of round is a mess and its often too rushed to appreciate much...

To prevent more clutter the story could be combined with Security Tickets and reduced to a single eye catching headline with a link to the story on Goon Hub. Good (Or clickbaity) headlines = more reads!

Quote:Technature

You could stick a piece of paper on, say, a board in the information room, and everyone could see it?

Noticeboards already exist but don't seem to be used regularly. Perhaps flashy news kiosks in populated areas, or areas where you need to wait (Medbay lobby, Cargo, HoP's counter), would attract more attention!

Quote:Zamujasa 

There are clipboards already, though those are single-location and nobody really uses them...

I use them to write reports when I play Security! I love them! Being able to put your paper and your pen in the same hand is the greatest.
Give them a PDA blog
Off topic but congrats Zam!
Would also be nice if there were some automatic news reports as well, perhaps the stock market news? Would make it feel less barren.