Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Minor] Shambling Abomination should absolutely be able to be used when incapacitated
Star 
Currently right now if you get knocked unconscious whether it be through stun or through poison you are unable to use any of your active abilities.

This is fine.

Apart from Shambling Abomination ability. This is not fine and this is a recent enough change, whether it be intentional or unintentional due to the stun change, as before you were always able to go abomination mode if knocked unconscious, and for good reason:

1. It has always been a defacto "panic button" for changelings. Right now if you knock a ling unconscious, they could have absorbed 25 souls and would still would be completely wrecked if someone gets the drop on them. It should be that easy if a ling is caught early - they can't actually do it unless they've absorbed 2 players.
It's not a "P2W" button either, going abomination is not without its caveats - such as alerting everyone to what you are (especially borgs who might be restraining themselves due to their default laws) and if used early (say you only absorbed 2 players) you can't remain abomination for very long as you'll burn through it fast.

2. It (and most importantly) completely eliminates changeling v changeling fights, which are incredibly entertaining to watch in the hivemind and fight in. Basically before if you got stung by a fellow ling you could go abomination and immediately rise to your feet. The opponent changeling can
A) run the fuck away and/or rat you out and shapeshift to cover it's tracks.
or 
B) also go abomination mode and hulk it out for the sweet sweet DNA

Right now if a fellow ling gets the drop on you it is game over for you as a ling. This is incredibly lame. And no, before you suggest - Neurotoxin should absolutely affect other lings, otherwise you won't get the scenario as suggested above. 

So please, make abomination mode actually be used outside of doing a grand reveal on the shuttle.
Honestly should also be pasted in bug fix, this is a big detriment to changelings
I would go so far as to say that going into Abomination should be a hard reset on your health and chems. Nothing is more horrifying than thinking you put the ling down only to have it suddenly spring back up, pissed off and snarling
Sundance understands the concept of shambler being a PANIC button. This is correct and Ive been saying it since I came back to SS13.
Also shamblers should never be able to be stunned. Thats just dumb. Right now a bunch of nerds with flashes and batons can just stun the shambler into KO.
Speaking of abominations, I might as well mention that this terrifying thing should splatter blood everywhere when you transform. Honestly a lot of Changeling abilities should splatter a bit of blood around.

Anyways yeah with how costly shambler is, I was able to essentially solo one just by beating it with a stun baton a couple times and tossing it in a grinder.
very good idea for sure.
Actually on second thought, Regenerative Status should also absolutely be able to be used when incapacitated also. The reasoning behind this is that it's meant to play possum to those who're not sure you're a ling yet, so the guy caving your head in notices you letting off a death rattle and leaves you alone. If you're knocked unconscious, you literally can't do it, which pigeonholes regen status to only being useful when you've spawned your limb critters. Very silly.

Still not as bad as Shambler ability. 

Quote:Kiki ~
Also shamblers should never be able to be stunned. Thats just dumb. Right now a bunch of nerds with flashes and batons can just stun the shambler into KO.

Just so we're clear, Stunned =/= Unconscious  although the stamina system now blends this altogether with some unfavorable results such as this. Abomination has a massive stamina regen, it's should be very marginally vulnerable to stun (like if you unload a taser into it, that should buy you a small amount of time before it gets back up, 2-3 seconds later). It should not be vulnerable to being knocked unconscious, that completely defeats the purpose of going Shambler.

So to summarize:
1. Shambling Abomination should be able to be used when incapacitated (unconscious) 
2. Regen Status should also be able to be used when incapacitated 
3. Shambling abomination should be able to be stunned ineffectively, but should not be incapacitated. 

I realize this is all a result of the stamina system. If a coder is looking at this, you might want to copy the code from Werewolf, whose certain abilities can be used when incapacitated, such as Defensive Howl. With regards point 3, would it be possible to create a threshold where abomination cannot go under 0 stamina, i.e: where unconsciousness occurs (that might be -100 stamina, I always forget)?
Can I also add that I want it so when you pop the shambler button all your limbs fly off and become spiders? Make it a TRUE panic button.
(04-05-2019, 02:29 AM)Sundance Wrote: Actually on second thought, Regenerative Status should also absolutely be able to be used when incapacitated also. The reasoning behind this is that it's meant to play possum to those who're not sure you're a ling yet, so the guy caving your head in notices you letting off a death rattle and leaves you alone. If you're knocked unconscious, you literally can't do it, which pigeonholes regen status to only being useful when you've spawned your limb critters. Very silly.

Completely agree on this front. Playing dead should be something Changelings are capable of doing, and at the moment it's a bit impossible when you're only able to do it when standing. You may worry about Changelings spamming the ability but I think thematically that makes sense, Changelings should be hard to kill without a lot of damage very quickly, or gibbing.

Let me also mention in addition to regenerative stasis, let people choose when to get up. As it works at the moment, you press the button, fake death -> 30 seconds later and you pop up, no input on your end. Instead of automatically activating when the timer runs out, you should be able to fake your death indefinitely until you press the regeneration button again.

Let Changelings stage ambushes, play dead - get dragged to medical, and other situations.
You should also be able to shamble as nonhuman bodytypes, as while it makes sense for monkey, not being able to shamble because of the pigmentation of your skin being mutated is a bit ridiculous.
(04-08-2019, 05:37 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: ...not being able to shamble because of the pigmentation of your skin being mutated is a bit ridiculous.

...what?
First Ive heard of that
I think the pigmentation thing was a mis-type, Magolor do you mean as in being a fishman or ant-man via genetics?
I'm guessing that has to do with the melanin overdrive/shutdown/rainbow mutations technically counting as body types a-la fish man coding-wise.
I really want to be able to regen while stunned, horror form I don’t mind. I just want to play dead and choose when to rise