Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
NSS HORIZON: The NT fleet's longest and most lengthy cruiser.
It's probably time to make a thread for this ship, since it's safely past the "bad idea"/experimental stage. 

It's now a fully fledged error, an enormous blunder, a fiscal and metrological nightmare. It's a long boat. 

Current Features™: 
- Very Long!
- Horizontal widescreen room design, to take better advantage of 16x9 aspect
- Tubes what takes you from here to there! 
- No mail system. tube yourself instead. 
- Off-Limits QM warehouse on the port nacelle, away from pranksters- QM front office up front near EVA & Customs! (use tubes to get there u eg)
- Quiet low-lying starboard nacelle for medical research which doubles as a secondary medbay, protected if the main bay is bombed. 
- Vacuum-Isolated burn chambers for long-round comfort, and safe hellburns for RP. 
- Patented luxury automatic trial & processing system: never touch a dirty con from bail denial to execution! 
- Sports Bar & Boxing Gym combo. 
- Asteroid Belt Salvage setting, bits and chunks 2 explore. 
- Clown Emporium
- Independant AI power grid
- Most important asteroid field bits have power grids
- Test Chamber far enough from the ship to actually test a bomb without YellingAt™

map image:
(debris belts now moastley filled)
[Image: horizon1-26-2019.png]

Please take a minute to leave scathing reviews so i can get all the stupid shit steamrolled out of it.
I feel that having a TP pad in the QM area near customs would be large QOL enhancement for getting crates there, unless you can shove them in the pipes. Do the pipes have a normal repressurization timer as disposals or are they faster at sending multiple things? Very fun map when I played the other day but didnt think to check these things big grin

I really like your disposals setup, the little exhaust chute with stuff coming out behind the ship is neat
Adding a TP pad to he front-office is absolutely on my list of improvements, need to go add that in the code so I always forget to get around to it. Making a note here to throw that in. 

I'm not sure about how to go about adjusting the repressurisation speed myself, but it's also up there- 
in fact, Kyle made a handy patch specifically for this setup, Right Over Heare, so that's going to be a thing in the merge. 

I'm fairly certain crates cannot be shoved into industrial chutes, but that could also be a hilarious patch- entire closets and refrigerators flying out of tubes.
(12-04-2018, 08:42 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote: I'm fairly certain crates cannot be shoved into industrial chutes, but that could also be a hilarious patch- entire closets and refrigerators flying out of tubes.

There's floor chutes which you can empty crates into! You might be able to suck the crate into it as well.
Why exactly, on the isolated (as in you can't walk from the ship to it unexposed) AI nacelle, are there manually controlled air valves which supply air to various parts of the ship, as well as just one reserve tank?

It would appear as though spacewalks are necessary to repressurize sections of the ship, as the AI can't manually control the valves. As a suggestion, it may be worth removing one of the telecommunications dishes, moving the remaining one to just in front of the ship (to the left of the Mineral Magnet), and filling the empty space with emergency repressurization equipment. Another dish could also be added at the stern of the ship, between the two lattices in the space between the two burn chambers.

Also, the PTL is pointed directly at the pod navigation/teleporter beacon at the stern of the ship.

It's a very nice design so far, but those are two flaws I've noticed.
You have a good point about the fore repressurisation equipment being in kind of a shitty spot. I Think I'm gonna go with your suggestion and move the com dishes around to accomodate that.

The way the dishes are curently inset actually just stems from a much earlier draft of the ship, where the nose was a restricted area, so bottlenecking there made a lot of sense, but now, less so.

Probably going to put the primary dish directly ahead of the magnet, behind the rock shield.

Secondary might end up in the space between science and engineering, or directly on the AI nacelle (and so technically not connected to the ship's network, would need to have the catwalk cable mended, or have commaster installed on a computer on the nacelle.)

PTL / beacon interference is a total oversight, thank you, fixing that now.
Some things I noticed that could be changed/added/removed:

Quarantine blast doors for Virology and the Monkey Pen (for RP and also when monkeys go berserk because the geneticist looked at a monkey the wrong way)

There is no mop bucket in either custodial closet. The Janitor's Union is displeased and will lube your floors until this is rectified.

Blast doors probably should be added to Telescience

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be, but the Toxins Pump Control Computer isn't actually connected to the network via cable.

Also I'm not sure if the power monitoring console in the Chief Engineer's office is connected to the network either.

There are no document scanners in Science. This oversight will result in much paperwork from the Counsel of Bureaucracy until rectified.

Maybe a table/rack of spare tapes, networking guides, and other networking-related stuff should be added to the computer core?

Also I really like the ship in general, but these are just some nitpicky issues I saw.
Looking at the wiring for the AI boat, it looks like the wiring is not connected to the main ship. Is this intended? On the plus side it means that the AI ship would be immune from any powersinks on the main ship, but would the QM and medical ship solars provide enough power on their own to the main ship if no one set the engine up?
(12-07-2018, 07:09 AM)Recusor Wrote: Looking at the wiring for the AI boat, it looks like the wiring is not connected to the main ship. Is this intended? On the plus side it means that the AI ship would be immune from any powersinks on the main ship, but would the QM and medical ship solars provide enough power on their own to the main ship if no one set the engine up?
Yes it's totally intentional, to keep the AI independantly powered (and very overkill-ly so) but the leads reach out onto the catwalk to make it easy to wire in, if necessary. 

The nacelle solars, even with the starboard array in a damaged state, are more than enough to power the idle ship if configured correctly. With the SMES configured as-is at roundstart, they only trickle power, and the damaged array requires a spacewalk, or cooperation from medbay to access. I feel like these are appropriate hurdles to make powering the ship a non-zero activity, but also make it very friendly to multi-hour RP rounds. 

Being heavilly concentrated, with power flowing to the main body though the potentially vulnerable nacelle hallways I believe also adds an acceptable level of risk, If an enterprising young traitor wants to turn out the lights they could do so with two pipebombs and a wirecutter fairly reliably, from space. 

@Aft2001 i'm in the process of correcting a few issues you pointed out and will reply when i've got the new image to show for it
very cool, glad to see the level of thought youve put in!
I currently spend at least a dozen hours mapping for every hour of actual spessmanning this has taken over my entire leisure budget.
(12-06-2018, 06:10 AM)aft2001 Wrote: Some things I noticed that could be changed/added/removed:

Quarantine blast doors for Virology and the Monkey Pen (for RP and also when monkeys go berserk because the geneticist looked at a monkey the wrong way)
i gave this some thought and i'm not feeling it. seems heavyhanded for something thats already electrified.

There is no mop bucket in either custodial closet. The Janitor's Union is displeased and will lube your floors until this is rectified.
are you sure? 

Blast doors probably should be added to Telescience
and thus it is done. 

I'm not sure if it's supposed to be, but the Toxins Pump Control Computer isn't actually connected to the network via cable.
doesnt seem to need it in '16 

Also I'm not sure if the power monitoring console in the Chief Engineer's office is connected to the network either.
good catch, it was not. it is now. 

There are no document scanners in Science. This oversight will result in much paperwork from the Counsel of Bureaucracy until rectified.
scannerissimo existo! 

Maybe a table/rack of spare tapes, networking guides, and other networking-related stuff should be added to the computer core?
wish granted

Also I really like the ship in general, but these are just some nitpicky issues I saw.

Thanks for the feedback, please feast upon the updated image.
Some general thoughts:
  • The ship looks nice and pretty polished, and it definitely has good character. I appreciate the small things and the attention to detail.
  • I'm not a fan of the ugly brown/grey carpeting in places, but I understand sometimes it's used intentionally.
  • It looks like it's not possible to traverse some areas of the ship without going into the main hall or having access. This might prove an issue if there are bombings or there's a blob or something. However, I do see lots of external airlocks and windows and emergency suit sets. Maybe add a few more of those suits I guess? 
Sizing/placement issues I have:
  • The crematorium by the chapel is pretty big in comparison to the chapel itself. Maybe move the coffins into maint or a recess somewhere and expand the chapel a bit, making room for a confession booth?
  • I like medbay's size, but the entrance and the room directly after it seem a bit cramped due to how rectangular they are. 
  • The long hallway in security would make chasing prisoners pretty difficult, while the area in its top left seems kinda small. 
  • Genpop is pretty big. Resizing it could provide some extra room for sec affairs.
  • Research and engineering are both pretty big. I see that QM has been given its own mini-ship, which I'm not a fan of; personally I think it should be more in your face to encourage crew interactions. Maybe whittle down the former two departments a bit to make room for QM on the main ship? Or do some reshuffling (e.g. move the PTL and disposals to the mini-ship)?
Miscellaneous questions/issues I have:
  • Are bathrooms/showers purposefully tiled with normal tiles rather than their usual tiles?
  • Where do some of the random flushers go (e.g. botany, the bar)?
  • A packet sniffer in tech storage would be good.
  • Mining could use a couple windows.
Some of the things I really like:
  • Botany. It looks very nice and feels comfortable. A front desk would be a great addition.
  • The bar and the kitchen. I enjoy spacious bars and kitchens and this one looks good for interactions. 
  • Again, all the cute little extra things and details you've added (e.g. the three different buttons and flushers in the prisoner's room in the courtoom). As mentioned before, I think your map has good character, and I think these things definitely help make it feel special and distinct. 
also wizship is no longer on station maps
Wanna start by thanking you for your feedback, and giving my thoughts before cracking open a new version, to try and get a sharper image of where I'm going here! 
  • I'm not a fan of the ugly brown/grey carpeting in places, but I understand sometimes it's used intentionally.
    I'm somewhat aware that i've used it excessively, it's a little bit of a stylistic crutch that i'm trying to replace as I continue adding "character" to those rooms. It's a simple way to make a space feel dirtier, but ideally I'd want to maybe make a couple new types of tile to better get that feel without overusing the grimy carpet.
  • It looks like it's not possible to traverse some areas of the ship without going into the main hall or having access. This might prove an issue if there are bombings or there's a blob or something. However, I do see lots of external airlocks and windows and emergency suit sets. Maybe add a few more of those suits I guess? 
    I guess i'd need to ask exactly which chokes you're worried about, because while I tried to provide more go-arounds in high-risk areas, I also didn't want to leave the ship completely unbombable.
    The most obvious one I could see is where the hull maint tunnels end, near the forward nacelles, but there are hidden doors leading to the sports bar and mechanics, which gives a tad more wiggle room. The crematorium is another awkward blockage, perhaps a catwalk outside the ship would help.

Sizing/placement issues I have:
  • The crematorium by the chapel is pretty big in comparison to the chapel itself. Maybe move the coffins into maint or a recess somewhere and expand the chapel a bit, making room for a confession booth?
    I like the idea, I'll see about moving the coffins, perhaps into a conveyor to really condense them. Confessional is absolutely something I forgot about!
  • I like medbay's size, but the entrance and the room directly after it seem a bit cramped due to how rectangular they are. 
    I'm not entirely sure I understand this one. Is it that they're too gridlike, or that the lobby is crushing / flattening the upper room? I could pull the windows south one tile, but i'll admit medbay is #2 on my list of rooms I might try to redo from scratch, if it gets too messy.
  • The long hallway in security would make chasing prisoners pretty difficult, while the area in its top left seems kinda small. 
    In my opinion, my security layout is by far the weakest department in this map. The more I rework and re-cram bits and features people want to see in it, the stringier and more awkward it gets. I'm thinking I may abandon the front-door symmetry with medbay and totally re-hash it for better flow, but I'd really appreciate some more HoS input on how to sec good (easilly my least-played role)
  • Genpop is pretty big. Resizing it could provide some extra room for sec affairs.
    noted
  • Research and engineering are both pretty big. I see that QM has been given its own mini-ship, which I'm not a fan of; personally I think it should be more in your face to encourage crew interactions. Maybe whittle down the former two departments a bit to make room for QM on the main ship? Or do some reshuffling (e.g. move the PTL and disposals to the mini-ship)?
    Putting QM on its own was a big risk and it's required a fair bit of bargaining, but I knew from the start it might be a no-sell.
    As far as interaction it is effectively a black hole, yes. The cozy brown & purple room east of customs is meant to be their "front desk", with the cargopad out there for delivery and tubes for the quartermasters to commute.
    I think I could refactor research & ditch the intra-departmental hallway symmetry that I had set up with engineering, and with that, stuff the warehouse into the spot where telescience & disposals are. Move disposals and another minor warehouse to the nacelle. I'll fiddle a bit.

Miscellaneous questions/issues I have:
  • Are bathrooms/showers purposefully tiled with normal tiles rather than their usual tiles?
    oh, yeah.... uh... oops? fixed!
  • Where do some of the random flushers go (e.g. botany, the bar)?
    Here's the network!
    Mining contains flushers to QM nacelle, and the aft smelter
    Sports Bar contains a chute to the crew module
    Crew Module contains flushers to the courtroom, and to the aft hallway (near research) as well as morgue chute
    Courtroom has a chute to the aft hall as well
    In Botany: chutes to the kitchen and to the loafer- the loafer tube is of course biofiltered. The flusher goes to the QM nacelle and is also biofiltered.
    In crew quarters A: chute to the crew module.
    In the Bar, flushers go to the courtroom and to the aft hallway.
    Flushers in QM go back and forth to the office.
    Chute in chemistry goes to the pharmacy
    that's about all the weird ones.

• A packet sniffer in tech storage would be good.
    there's one in maint/storage near research, one in the computer core, and one in maint near the AI. that last one is technically no-id accessible via spacewalk
  • Mining could use a couple windows.
    will do
Some of the things I really like:
  • Botany. It looks very nice and feels comfortable. A front desk would be a great addition.
    I'll see if i can futz with the foyer to accomodate a windoor desk

(01-05-2019, 07:40 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: also wizship is no longer on station maps
So i've heard!
I kinda just tossed it there "in case" for testing on '16, but I deleted it earlier tonight, and instead moved the salvage-station bit into that corner (the wreckage to the east of the ghost drone shuttle, near the listening post)

send tweet