Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Space helmets/hoods should block hair
Many people have hair that pokes through hats(myself included) and it kind of messes with the aesthetic of a spacesuit/biosuit/radsuit/balding cap when your massive hairdoo is still visible. It would look better if your hair just went invisible temporarily while wearing certain hats, stuff like spacesuits and biosuits that you're supposed to keep your hair inside of at all times. 

I'm not a coder or anything so I dunno if implementing this is actually a lot more tricky than one would initially think. It's not a game ruining thing or whatever so it's not a huge deal.
Idea for a new critter: A mimic that disguises itself as hats and eats your hair after a while of being worn
Good idea. Some hairstyles look super weird with a helmet.
they do though? there's a flag on helmets called BLOCK_HAIR iirc

EDIT: okay nevermind they don't, but I remember seeing something in the rendering code along those lines
some hairstyles wouldn't make sense to be 'blocked' by a helmet. stuff like facial hair or long hair. I think this would have to be a specific per-hairstyle thing, or maybe someone would have to go through each existing hairstyle and draw a new 'with hat' image with the helmet area masked out / hair redrawn to fit.

also i like it when afros poke out of helmets. a large part of what helps me recognize other crewmembers on sight is the hairstyle

edit: if only restricted to FULL SEAL helmets like space helmet and biosuit, the suggestion to just make the hair invisible is probably fine. I think most hairstyles should still be visible through things like a sec helmet - those things make you look ugly enough as is
How am I supposed to know to mess with Drago if I can't see his neon mohawk at all times?
(10-08-2018, 07:42 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: How am I supposed to know to mess with Drago if I can't see his neon mohawk at all times?

yeah this is exactly my concern
Are you saying that Heruld's glorious beard shouldn't flow from his helmet?
(10-08-2018, 07:36 PM)mbc Wrote: edit: if only restricted to FULL SEAL helmets like space helmet and biosuit, the suggestion to just make the hair invisible is probably fine. I think most hairstyles should still be visible through things like a sec helmet - those things make you look ugly enough as is

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Sec helmets and the like should keep having hair be visible under them.

(10-08-2018, 07:42 PM)Lord Birb Wrote: How am I supposed to know to mess with Drago if I can't see his neon mohawk at all times?

(10-09-2018, 03:28 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: Are you saying that Heruld's glorious beard shouldn't flow from his helmet?

Isn't the cool aesthetic of spacesuits that they hide all of your features? Everyone would look the same in a spacesuit. You shed your individuality and your humble spaceman becomes simply a man in space. 

Also the hair poking through makes it impossible to be someone without actually being them. You can kill Drago five minutes in, get a voice changer and a space helmet and slap his ID on but everyone would know right away that you're not Drago because you lack the blue nerdhawk.
(10-09-2018, 07:59 AM)Flaborized Wrote: Isn't the cool aesthetic of spacesuits that they hide all of your features? Everyone would look the same in a spacesuit. You shed your individuality and your humble spaceman becomes simply a man in space. 

Also the hair poking through makes it impossible to be someone without actually being them. You can kill Drago five minutes in, get a voice changer and a space helmet and slap his ID on but everyone would know right away that you're not Drago because you lack the blue nerdhawk.

Agreed. When I wear a space helmet to be stealthy, it kinda defeats the purpose when people can tell who I am by my hair poking through.
Strong agree on leaving regular helmets alone but making space helmets and similar obscure your hair.