Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 5 Average
State of the Goonion - Underwater Tidings
Long time no see. I haven't written one of these in a while. Just over a year, in fact. Time to write a bit about the current status of Goonstation and what's going on currently.

Oshan Laboratory
I'm sure most of you have seen the trailer for Oshan Laboratory. Its really different, and exciting. We've been working hard on this, and we can't wait to share the fun experience with y'all.

Fun Stuff in store:
  • New power generation mechanisms
  • A deep trench to explore and find forgotten places.
  • Fluid mechanics interacting with the station
  • Lots of updated sprites and visuals
  • And much more!

Current projects
We've been working on other stuff during the development of Oshan as well. Things like the recent Solarium content, such as the Japanese-themed workshop, or previews of a mysterious glove you may have seen. We always strive to constantly provide engaging content, and a fun server to play on.

Things to improve
As per the last thread, we talked about randomizing the diner Z-level and some other suggestions given there. We've found that it's already quite laggy to generate our current asteroids on Z5, and the placement of the randomized structures takes up most of the time. Therefore, randomly generating the diner Z is not feasible currently. We're also looking at improving different mechanics of the game in the future, such as the economy system and cyborg modules.

Finally, a little thing by our amazing artist Gannets: [Image: amxdxc6bt4h11.png]
im a big fan of splish splash and swish slash
I am a bit worried how deeply Oshan will cut into the main station/server's dev time. Is there any info on how one affects the other? Will it be its own server or a 'map' equivalent?
(08-19-2018, 11:14 PM)Erev Wrote: I am a bit worried how deeply Oshan will cut into the main station/server's dev time. Is there any info on how one affects the other? Will it be its own server or a 'map' equivalent?

Oshan has been under development for the past 10 months or so. It's going to be its own map, albeit completely different from the others. Currently, most of the new underwater mechanics will be confined to just the Oshan map. So, it won't really cut at all swing as it's pretty much done. The majority of the project was only done by a small team as well, so it's not like every single coder has been working on this and nothing else.
(08-20-2018, 05:33 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: Oshan has been under development for the past 10 months or so. mechanics will be confined to just the Oshan map. every single coder has been working on this and nothing else.

I'm hype as fuck for this. 
it's scuba time.
(08-20-2018, 06:40 AM)John Warcrimes Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 05:33 AM)ZeWaka Wrote: Oshan has been under development for the past 10 months or so. mechanics will be confined to just the Oshan map. every single coder has been working on this and nothing else.

I'm hype as fuck for this. 
it's scuba time.

Oh totally. New maps, new mechanics, new stuff!
(08-19-2018, 09:46 PM)ZeWaka Wrote: Long time no see.
you missed a valuable opportunity here! smilie with a protruding tongue
[Image: 82a4d6634e.png]
Someone asked this on the Discord, so I'll ask it here. Will there be underwater nuke ops?
All currently occurring round-types will also run on Oshan. I'm sure there's bugs that'll crop up due to that, but that's to be expected.
Will the map be released before launch, at launch, or after launch? Will there be different Oshan station maps? Can vampires leave the station without poofing. For thar matter is day and night a thing?
Oshan is currently the only underwater map. It will be released on saturday, with all that entails. I imagine vampires take damage in the ocean, same as space. There is no night cycle currently.

All of this can change!
Vampires are stuck on the station. You see Abzu has blessed seas. Holy water
(08-20-2018, 05:12 PM)Readster Wrote: Vampires are stuck on the station. You see Abzu has blessed seas. Holy water

So we can flood the station to kill off vampires and wraiths? :P Sweet!
Classic vampires often suck with moving water, anyways.