Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[Feature] Functional Organs, also some Cyber Organs(updated)
OK, for real this time, this is going to probably be my last update to this patch. 

This isn't so much an update, there are two things I changed:

- Surgical Scissors handle colour is a random colour whenever one spawns. 

- I reverted my changes for effecting respiration types of humans based on lungs. Cyberlungs still can let you breathe in lower amounts of oxygen and higher amounts of plasma and CO2. But now I'm not fucking around much with the breathing code. It's current form is not actually complex, but my proposed plan to change it to make it more modular so it would be easier to change what people need to breathe in the future was sort of beyond the scope of this project. 

---------------------------------------

So not too much changes, mostly just an un-change. I've only really bothered with this stuff because it's been so long that I've considered it ready but it has not been merged. But with this, I think now it takes care of literally everything I wanted to do with this patch at the outset. 

Certainly there are more things that can be added in relation to this, I even have some ideas for those, but those are more ambitious and involve changing the backend for how some systems currently work. And this project was never really meant to be a rewrite for those types of things, just a layer to add onto the current medical system.
how changeling regeneration was recoded is funky, the current code regenerates eyes which are organs

so when you use the create_organs proc, there's no messages at all. I mean i guess it's not visible, but eh

resolved by saying fuck it and no messages for eyes or any organs, also some of the code was not necessary since super heal step already regens organs
Yeah, I really phoned it in on that one. I was tired or something with all that stuff at a time and just made it create any missing organs on a low prob for regen, and 100% for the changer regen.

If there already is an organ regen proc used in production, then just add the new organs.

Really I shoulda have it make one new organ/limb at a time for the regen genetics power with a simple loop and break, but I wanted it to have a more dedicated way to make it more modular for use in anything on the organ holder. 

But then I forgot about it and here we are.
I am haunting this thread like the ghost from Christmas past.

What's the hold up, exactly? Is it balancing, spriting (if better sprites are needed, I can rework these!!) or is the coding on this raise some red flags in terms of implementation?

This has been pending for quite some time, and more wonderful organs is badly needed for medical to keep it fresh (pathology too, but that's another story). 

We've fallen behind other servers in this regard ...and I know "don't hold standards to other servers", but it's hard not to look at yonder hills. With the addition of these organs, this will breathe life into medical like never before and I'm not romanticizing it here. Being able to experiment on monkeys to figure out whats the most efficient method of organ transplantation, figuring out new perfected chem mixtures to keep players alive with organ failures, and then of course there's robotics. Like the implementation of the heart organ alone added so many new aspects to medical, so imagine what potentially 7 organs could do.

I hope i'm not being too negative or emotive, this post is made with the best intentions.
I can explain a bit here now that I have code access.

Several months ago, Zewaka started on merging some of the patch, but it's quite large. I think it adds a couple thousand lines of code across a couple dozen different files. It's probably the largest patch made on the forums by that metric and looking back, it might have been premature to make such a large patch. That makes things very difficult/tedious to merge since it's really two different code bases, 2016 and prod. You can't easily just click the merge button and resolve conflicts as they appear, you mostly gotta do it by hand.

So that's real slow going to merge, especially when it's code you didn't write in areas you haven't looked at in a while.

The good news on that front, is now I am able to merge my own patch into prod, but it will still take some time plus I have a couple other things I'm doing at the momemt. No one wants to see this in more than me, but I can't yet make it my number 1 priority in terms of ss13 stuff. Hard to give a time estimate at this point, but I think maybe within 2 months or so.