Mentor Application
Usual Character Name: Benny J Platnum (Or anyone with the last name of Platnum)
BYOND Username: CaptainToonLink 
Recommended by (if applicable): N/A
Times Available: Most mornings and afternoons

Reason for Application + Game Experience (300 word minimum):

Oh boy where to start… Firstly, something that doesn’t apply to this, Platnum is not spelled wrong. It’s not “platinum” it’s platnum. Yes it is odd.

NOW TO THE REAL STUFF! 
In SS13 I have observed, and am going through, the stages of the usual SS13 players life. This metamorphosis of an SS13 starts as them being a new player. Often they will be spotted asking the question of “HOW DO I USE MY HANDS?”. Sadly many, I have seen, do not make it past this stage. They die due to a rampaging traitor and rage quit the game due to it ‘being too hard’. The few who make it past this stage become your usual SS13 player. Slightly robust and a basic knowledge of the games mechanics. From there we go to the rebellious faze. In this they seem to push the limits and see what they can get away with. Often getting a ban and finding new fear any time an admin contacts them. From this they often turn into an experienced player, aka descent clowns. Most stay in this stage, but there are a few more paths that can happen. They, from there, can become so robust that they become a legend. Or perhaps ascend to godhood by becoming an admin. But, perhaps the most common spurs from their concern. They realize that the game they love so dearly is like a endangered species. The new players often leave due to how complex some of SS13’s mechanics are. This path is mentorship. They want to help the new bloods blossom into farty 2D space men. 

Through this confusing part of my rant I’m trying to convey something that I have realized. SS13’s population is slowly being depleted. New players are often confused by this games mechanics. After a few months on TG I have completed my pilgrimage and returned to the place of my fledgling. Goon. When I returned I saw something… A new player, a geneticist struggling, I had happened to roll traitor. This made me remember long ago when I was in this literally exact situation. Someone, I regrettably forget who, taught me many things about SS13 in, about, a three hour round. Near the end they gave me an emmag and told me to use it to protect myself. I had no idea what it was or how it worked. They I saw over the radio “(Insert the name of the person here) HAS FUCKED WITH THE ENGINE EVERYTHING IS GOING TO SHIT AICALLSHUTTLE!!!!!” And then from there somehow security found, checked me, and hulled me off. Now when presented with this exact situation I attempted to teach the new geneticist how to play SS13 . I, at the end, gave him an emmag and told him to use it to protect himself. Also I told him how it worked and not to show the people in red or green it. Point in case, I want to help new players. My gathered knowledge of this game should be put to good use. This is why I want to become a mentor… So SS13 won’t die on me. So new players can thrive and become devious littl’ staff assistants who steal everything that isn’t bolted down.

As for game experience, I know most of everything but engineer and some of scientist. The one thing I can’t seem to learn is engineering. As for science, I can whip up basic chems. I have no idea how artifacts work and at one point I was a wiz at telescience. Sadly I lost my special formula, I made for telescience, deep within my old computer. I’m working on a second one so, soon I should be good there.

Well… that’s it. Thank you for your time.
-CaptainToonLink
Could you give what time zone you're in? Might help people know if they've seen you in game.
Ahhh Eastern Standard Time zone
Reading this application was, to put it bluntly, painful.

Furthermore, I can't say that any of the numerous interactions I've had with you have been good. Memorable, yes, but most certainly not in a positive way.

No.
(07-19-2018, 11:54 AM)Noah Buttes Wrote: Reading this application was, to put it bluntly, painful.

Furthermore, I can't say that any of the numerous interactions I've had with you have been good. Memorable, yes, but most certainly not in a positive way.

No.

Welp fair enough I suppose. If this is your answer then please tell me what I can do to better myself.
I've seen very little of you, but what I've seen is memorable. This is not a good thing.

No.
I'm also EST but I play evenings after I get off work so I sadly don't have a good handle on who are you are ingame. You've also only just arrived on the forums so I don't have a perspective of who you are outside of the game either.

I think you definitely have a desire to help new players, but without knowing you better I can't say yes to your application...
(07-20-2018, 07:01 AM)Sov Wrote: I'm also EST but I play evenings after I get off work so I sadly don't have a good handle on who are you are ingame. You've also only just arrived on the forums so I don't have a perspective of who you are outside of the game either.

I think you definitely have a desire to help new players, but without knowing you better I can't say yes to your application...

I do wish to help new people. But this thread has made me realize one factor that may prevent this. But in all honesty… Thanks for even posting on this. *Backflips into oblivion*
Your application has been denied due to lack of support. Better luck next time!