Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Move the AI/upload chamber
(08-17-2016, 11:55 AM)69andahalf Wrote: Here's a quick update:

[Image: MHyI99h.png]
  • The AI core and upload are now surrounded by IR detectors, so that you'll have to set one off if you try to get in from the outside. Caused the AI chamber to be expanded slightly, just above and below the consoles.
  • Extended the AI upload by one tile on each side, and put two tables in for the more dangerous modules. Currently the free form/not human modules are next to the upload, and one human/make captain modules are next to robotics control.
Looks really fantastic, something that we really need to be implemented.
Yes, please. This looks really good and perhaps it will both 1. stop people in the act of being shit and 2. make them learn to not be shit. At least, we'll get a bit closer than current. Fewer assistants barging in.

I think the difference between B&E into a department and B&E into the ai chamber is that if someone enters a department, they probably just want to nick tools or, at worst, weapons (hopefully not unless they're antag). If they DO do the latter and aren't antag they will likely get in Trouble if they use it.

Meanwhile, if you enter the AI's chamber and get away with it, you are practically expected to fuck with that captive player up to and including giving them tedious or creepy laws, regardless of your status. Being a dick isn't just for antags.
(08-17-2016, 12:34 PM)misto Wrote: give plasma glass the mysterious property of interrupting phase shift and doppelganger travel. surround ai with plasma glass. job done

i also notice that the upload room now seems to have 2 apcs? is this an oversight or intended? perhaps they could be on opposite sides if intended. then you would have to loop round and fuck with both apcs in order to manually fuck the place up

I'm not sure if there's a variable in plasma glass that effects phase shift, and if there is it isn't very clear to me.

And yeah, the two APCs were an oversight, I just had to move it out from under the turret and forgot to get rid of it.
(08-17-2016, 01:25 PM)69andahalf Wrote:
(08-17-2016, 12:34 PM)misto Wrote: give plasma glass the mysterious property of interrupting phase shift and doppelganger travel. surround ai with plasma glass. job done

i also notice that the upload room now seems to have 2 apcs? is this an oversight or intended? perhaps they could be on opposite sides if intended. then you would have to loop round and fuck with both apcs in order to manually fuck the place up

I'm not sure if there's a variable in plasma glass that effects phase shift, and if there is it isn't very clear to me.

And yeah, the two APCs were an oversight, I just had to move it out from under the turret and forgot to get rid of it.

He was just saying to add that feature to plasma glass.
In my experience, nothing is as equally effective as putting windoors between the control terminals and the boards.
That little waiting for a windoor to open is enough to allow the turrets to get a shot off, preventing people from rushing in and out faster than the turret reaction times.

Added bonus is that turret lasers can shoot through windows and windoors.
lasers can go thru glass, but stun bolts cant. a non-rogue ai will have them set on stun. using windows and glass doors as an in-the-turret-room defense feature hinders non rogue ais, benefits rogues
It looks like there is enough support for this, perhaps something will be done

On that note, lets make sure we don't buff the AI location -too much-

I'll leave ya'll to figure out how far -too much- would be, but since any improvement at all would be a buff - just keep balance in mind.

AI is one of the few roles that very seldomly dies in a game where death is common.
It shouldn't be a huge deal if the AI still gets subverted/killed sometimes. Even half the time.
Food for thought
(08-17-2016, 04:21 PM)Boa Jacque Wrote: AI is one of the few roles that very seldomly dies in a game where death is common.
It shouldn't be a huge deal if the AI still gets subverted/killed sometimes. Even half the time.
Food for thought

I disagree.

I die more often as AI than any other role besides security officer. Maybe I'm just that robust, but something seems wrong there.
I need to ask something as a non-martyr (AI/sec player); do AI's get killed more by antagonists or by people acting against a rogue AI?
(08-17-2016, 04:32 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I need to ask something as a non-martyr (AI/sec player); do AI's get killed more by antagonists or by people acting against a rogue AI?
Most of the time when I die as AI, it's to a wizard phase shifting on top of me and murdering me, or a traitor killswitching me.
I'd say 1/3 of the time it's the crew acting against me.
(08-17-2016, 04:32 PM)Vitatroll Wrote: I need to ask something as a non-martyr (AI/sec player); do AI's get killed more by antagonists or by people acting against a rogue AI?

Definitely more to antags, I think. If sec/the crew attrmpts to reset the AI it's usually in their best interests to get it back to default laws, since that puts it more or less on the side of the crew. Whereas if an antag bothers to break in, the easiest and quickest method of getting the AI out of your hair is just 'kill urself lol'. Not reasoning I particularly approve of, but there you have it.

Addendum: the reason why it seems to people that the AI isn't very useful when subverted but a bitch when not on your side is that 'kill everyone but this guy' puts you more or less against the entire station, and even if you have the skill and resources to do that it's a bit of a tall order to accomplish. 'Lockdown/kill this one guy' is a task orders of magnitude easier by comparison.

Also remember that the AI is one of the few roles that can take in the station's entire situation at a glance and go 'shit's fucked, shuttle time' and that's a rather important role.
(08-17-2016, 04:53 PM)Musketman12 Wrote:
Most of the time when I die as AI, it's to a wizard phase shifting on top of me and murdering me, or a traitor killswitching me.
I'd say 1/3 of the time it's the crew acting against me.

My ratio is more around 1/2 wizards, 1/4 traitors, 1/8 vampires, 1/8 dumb nerd crew.
if the ai is rogued the crew can usually protect themselves by snipping cams and cutting ai control wires on various pieces of equipment and just leave the ai to be an impotent piece of shit up in its little fortress. its rogued borgs who are the more serious threat

thankfully better protecting the upload also slightly reduces the chances of rogued borgs, and will hopefully help encourage a greater degree of planning and preparation from antags who wish to fiddle with the ai and borgs
When I die as AI its like 2/3rds twitchy non-antags who freak out when the AI shows initiative and 1/3rd antags of various sorts. Wizards and Vampires are particularly annoying, though.