Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
blister packs for pills, buffs for medkits, and medborg pill slinging
pills arent as handy as they ought to be. regular pill bottles are compact, but awkward. you end up dumping them out a lot of the time. some medkits have entire slots dedicated to holding one solitary pill, pathetic! i propose blister packs as a new packaging and delivery method for pills.

you know, those foil/paper-backed blister/popper packets some pills come in.

-holds multiple pills, of course
-non-reusable, non-refillable
-simply click on the pack in your hand to pop one out of the pack and into your other hand. if you dont have another free hand it pops out onto the floor, oops.
-if that isnt quick and handy enough for you, perhaps the pill could be popped out of the pack and right into your mouth in one swift motion, but that raises problems with situations where you want to administer the pills to someone else

-most importantly, this will allow tox, o2, and brain damage kits to carry a better supply/variety of medicine rather than needing to waste and entire slot to carry a single pill. this could even open up slots for other items such as an autoinjector
-burn and brute kits would receive a blister pack of analgesic pills rather than their current single one

even if you dont like the idea of the blister packs, im sure you realize how silly it is for some medkits to be stocked with like 4 pills at best, so please consider at least including regular pill bottles in medkits if blister packs themselves are an un-needed new addition in your opinion

added fun: perhaps med borgs could be able to poop out blister packs or pill bottles of medicine brobot/vendorborg style for folks to pop. make it cost power like the rcd does if you need it to. an emagged medborg could poop out bottles of randomized hobo drugs like the pills you find lying around
I like this idea, actually. Blister packs could have their number of remaining pills represented either through their sprites or just when viewed. Maybe the 'take immediately vs put in hand' issue could be resolved by using a different intent for each?
Use the item in hand to pop a pill into the other hand/on the floor. Click on yourself with the packet to pop it into your mouth?
(05-11-2016, 03:50 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote: Use the item in hand to pop a pill into the other hand/on the floor. Click on yourself with the packet to pop it into your mouth?

that might work.

i initially wanted to also be able to administer pills to others straight from the pack, but was concerned about the mechanics of it, because i also wanted to propose blister packs as another pill packaging method available in chemistry, but then i worried that the "just pop it in the mouth immediately" option might somehow be bugged or abused to pop death pills straight into someone else's mouth instantly.

wouldnt make a difference as long as it still applied the same pill-forcing timer if you clicked the blister pack on another person
I like the idea of blister packs, but I don't like the idea of buffing medkits.

Medicine is overabundant as it is.
Isn't this what the pill-bottles from the ChemMaster do? I mean I like the idea of a blister pack sprite instead of a bottle because there are apparently two different verisons of pill bottles at the moment. Even better if that sprite shows how many pills remain.
I also agree with not adding more medicine lying around, what could be done is replacing the Oxy medkits with just one blister pack but then in medlockers/medbay it looks quite neat to have all medkits laid out nicely.
It's weird. I'm pretty sure SOME pill bottles eject a pill when you click on it in hand while others open the bottle's inventory. I'd like them all to work the first way, with the inventory accessible via click and drag to self. Possibly given the option to go straight from bottle to mouth isn't bad either.

Though instead of blister packs or pill bottles I'd rather have a medical pez dispenser.
The pill-bottles from the chem dispenser work like the patch boxes, they pop out a pill when you click them. The other kind is what you find around the station in medi-closets, ????-pills and heirloom pills, those work as a container.
(05-12-2016, 03:51 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: It's weird. I'm pretty sure SOME pill bottles eject a pill when you click on it in hand while others open the bottle's inventory. I'd like them all to work the first way, with the inventory accessible via click and drag to self. Possibly given the option to go straight from bottle to mouth isn't bad either.

Though instead of blister packs or pill bottles I'd rather have a medical pez dispenser.
Accessing the inventory isn't really doable, since most custom pill bottles will have more than 7 pills inside.
Yeah, even a standard 5u pill bottle from a large beaker will have 20 pills, and one made from an artifact beaker can have thousands. I'm fairly sure custom pill bottles have either unlimited pill space, or something as large as makes no real difference.
I thought we had an instance or two of scrollable inventories or inventories with 'pages'. Guess I was wrong.
(05-15-2016, 09:47 AM)Vitatroll Wrote: I thought we had an instance or two of scrollable inventories or inventories with 'pages'. Guess I was wrong.
Cyborg item selection interfaces. Those aren't really containers, though.