Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Antag Revamps
After all the recent improvement of the game's code, I'm starting to wonder if the basic antag classes of SS13 should follow suit. I'm mostly talking about Changelings, Vampires and Wizards, and maybe obscure things like Wrestling Belt users and Macho Men.

From what I've seen of the new Wraith and Blob, their gameplay is amazing and considerably more streamlined: abilities are all listed on your HUD instead of the disorganized menu tabs, the HUD itself is easily customizable and improvable in general for future revisions of the game, and much testing was done to make sure their coded-from-the-ground-up gimmicks actually worked - in fact the Wraith really was coded from the ground up, and the Blob was ripped out of the game and remade entirely. This is in stark contrast to the base antags: half of their abilities run off of comparatively-archaic coding and are horribly clunky (especially the ones that autotarget, when being able to choose a target would make a world of difference), some abilities don't even work right (I'm looking at you, Headspider), and some buffs and nerfs come across as the coders not knowing what to do (half of the players unanimously agree that Changelings never dying to direct damage anymore is absurd).

To put the argument simply: the old antags and their coding are becoming outdated, and I believe that rebuilding them from scratch in similar procedures to the Wraith and Blob would do them and the game a world of good. Working HUDs, redone ability coding and general ease-of-use knickknacks. I realize that it's a huge chore to remake them entirely, but with all the recent backend improvements and such, I thought it was worth suggesting.
the only thing that needs a change/nerf/whatever is ling

literally everything else is fine and does not need monkeying with
You're only thinking about balance. The backend probably needs reworking, the player UI definitely needs reworking. For instance, vamp spells are a pain in the ass to use because you can't see your abilities at all if they're on cooldown, and you never know how long they've got left.
Please, for the love of god. Vampires in particular are really shitty to handle as a result of this.
Yesss. Give wizards a little popup hotbar with all of their spells on them. You should be able to open/close it like you are able to with the inventory/clothing bar in the UI already.
Having just messed around with the new pod interface in the Colosseum, I'm all for some better HUD integration for those antags.