Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 1.86 Average
[PR] Enables Sims Mode/Motives on Classic
While I understand your reasoning for adding hunger/thirst I really hope this gets rolled back. I play on classic so I don't have to worry about these.
I really wish this testmerge caused more interaction on classic but, everybody goes to a vending machine instead, why go to the chef or bartender when they take longer than buying chicken soup, or there might not even be a chef or bartender, food or drinks might be laced with insta gib juice which is a risk people wouldn't really wanna take unless they were being silly, and besides attempting to give chef and bartender more interaction I dont see a point to this. but, hey its only been about a day so maybe we'll see more interaction.
After trying them for a bit, i really do not enjoy them. With how debilitating thirst is (and hunger to a lesser extent) soup really feels like another item you need to grab at roundstart and them carry around if you are sec/cap.
And even when i feel like grabbing a drink from the bar, i'm probably gonna drink from a vending machine first so i can run there faster
After playing a few rounds with it, I can concretely say that yeah my previous hopes I had first seeing this kinda fell flat. Playing with it felt more like "eh I'll get it fixed when I have time" and just using the first source of food or water I see instead of actually having interaction with the barkeep or chef. As barkeep it was a bit better in terms of actually doing stuff like refilling drinks and seeing people in the bar, but even then it rarely led to anything other than asking for a drink and leaving.
Overall while it did seem cool as a concept, in practice it kinda ended up being more a mild annoyance or surprise that a debuff happened mid fight since it's been a while from drinking/eating so now you're much closer to death/getting stunned. The 'cost' of other gameplay with it really does not equal what's gained from the mechanics it uses or opportunities it gives to bartender or chef, taking way more than it gives.
(08-29-2024, 10:29 PM)Asterion0 Wrote: After playing a few rounds with it, I can concretely say that yeah my previous hopes I had first seeing this kinda fell flat. Playing with it felt more like "eh I'll get it fixed when I have time" and just using the first source of food or water I see instead of actually having interaction with the barkeep or chef. 

Sadly this is also true on RP where it's standard.
If you are engaged in gameplay or RP, you let it drain to 0. Only hygiene was ever complained about cause it was spamming text and you visually had stink lines.

"Eh im busy with my job, I'll eat and drink later" or even some people would say "I keep forgetting" but Hygiene was like: "This shit is super annoying"

I actually like the hunger and thrist mechanic. It also makes sense if I am working hard and have to focus, I'll hold off a break till I am done and safely can take one. If an antagonist would walk in during htis time... I would be in a huge disadvantage and I accept that.

Even in RP bartending and being a Chef is pretty lonely. Chef's don't get much interaction especially if they are bulk cooking. Bartenders get some nice interactions though! But most will order a quick drink or Triple C and buzz off.

My biggest problem with RP Chef over RP bartending is the fact the food can sometimes take too long to prep compared to a cool drink.
A slow bartender can take 3 mins to make an advanced drink. A fast one within a minute.
A chef regardless of skill will end up taking maybe 5 mins of time to make 1 meal request if nothing was prepped for it. Yes even something simple as a sandwich can take a while... and don't get me started on "I don't have the ingridents to make it, gotta for botany" 

Side-tangent aside. While the motives work fine on RP and can lead to straight up amazing stuff in it like a fun chef and bartender combo.
I don't see this EVER happening on Classic due to the prep time chefs need.. where even a minute can be TOO LONG due to their lower shift time and REALLY FAST CHAOTIC elements.
It would just lead to as people pointed out to people using vending machines since the time there is 0 seconds. You get it, you drink/eat, you move on.
So just turn it off or rework the chef/bartender to get stuff on the fly like vending machines but theirs give a buff for sure.

In RP we can wait, In classic every second can lead to an antagonist starting a murder spree.
This has not changed my gameplay loop at all except maybe occasionally eating a medbay lollipop and some water from the chem dispenser. Forcing players to check a box to make a job more useful is not a good solution even if it did work like that (which it won't thanks to snack vending machines dotted around). Even if the downsides were minimal (which on classic considering combat can come at any moment, it isnt) players would still feel compelled to fulfill it, all I can see this doing is taking away from the actual job you signed up for to go tick a checkbox.
In order to ne robust, you need to eat and drink. I like it.

Especially with motives on Classic, we can code with them in mind.

Vomiting enabling hunger to go negative, causing stuns and damage because of malnutrition? Want to turn crew into mummies with salt clouds? Both ways of weaponizing motives aren't possible without motives on classic.
I enjoy it it make chef and bartender become more important to game.
Motives really just don't work for classic. They don't really by themselves force interaction with the chef nor bartender, they only provide a reason to rp. But this is a server where rp doesn't happen. So its just a meter with a debuff when low that can be filled without any interaction with the kitchen at a nearby vendor, causing only irritation.
I'm really not a fan of this change. It's just tedious, and doesn't make me interact with the chef or bartender. The lack of motives is a big part of why I play on Goon classic as opposed to other servers.
I play exclusively RP and frankly would like to see motives removed from the RP servers, so I was somewhat surprised to see them show up on classic. I dont feel that they really encourage any interaction with anybody else. If you're hungry, you'd only ever go to the chef if you want to on its own merit. Otherwise there are much faster, easier, and safer methods to refill that bar. And since chefs rarely actually make a large amount of food that is both not poison and also restores a nonzero amount of hunger, it's usually just not even an option at all.
This was mentioned in the discord but I think adding longer times to chef made food in terms of getting hungry again would be nice.
When I play, my departments are usually pretty close to as far from the kitchen as they can be. I usually eat food for whatever buffs I can get, but it makes very little sense to do so when a chunk of the buff is gone by the time I would get back to my department.

It's been close to a week, and the main results of the motive have been to get me to go to a vending machine when I remember, or just slow down the game for me if I forget. It feels like a tax on the mechanics I enjoy in the game (setting up the engine, playing around with mech comp) to try to force me to make a 2 minute round trip journey.

There are *incentives* that could get me to visit the dining hall, but in its current state it feels like a penalty on every other system to force an outcome that you're still better off just ignoring.
nah. when i play classic its so i don't have to deal with motives. not a fan and hoping for this not to go through
played on classic some last night and agreed it feels out of place and unfitting. motives in general kinda suck (there are better ways) but on classic they really don't do anything, esp when you can just buy a can of soup and fix your motives

(please don't use this as an excuse to remove soup, instead improve motives)