Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 4.17 Average
Armory Expansion
I agree, most stuff in the armory is useless.

But the biggest problem with the armory is, that it is HoS only.
For one part, this is a good thing. Due to the nature of HoS need to apply, we have good HoS - if we have one.

And this is the biggest problem with the armory: Not accessible if there is no HoS. (I know, packets can open the crates...)

So, while the stuff in the armory should be useful for different situations (blob, vampires, riots/rev...) - one big problem is that the stuff there might not be accessible on some rounds. And this can lead to different power levels, depending if there is a HoS or not this round.

For example: If there is some good anti-blob stuff in the armory, then the first reaction to a blob sight as HoS is confirming it and then opening the armory, giving the Blob a harder time. But if there is no HoS, then those weapons are not available - giving the blob an easier time.

Everything you put into the armory that will change the balance will have that effect.

You might say, that the HoS might decide not to open the armory - and this is a valid point. After all, a HoS should know how to apply the least amount of force needed and how to play in a way so everybody (antags and non-antags) have fun with it.

Which leads me to the question: What role does the armory have?
Is it:
* A emergency equipment room, only to be opened if things go bad?
* Additional equipment for the HoS? (as in "grab this from the armory at round start")
* A place where some small club can hold their Parties?

(which brings up an other idea: let centcom open the armory if things go wrong and requested by a head?)

Anyway, I have some ideas what could be in the armory that already exist somewhere else on the station or can be replaced by it:
* Holy Water
* Health Implants - the ones that Sec Officers spawn with and alert security on critical medical condition.
* A portable reagent heater - for ling testing
* A portable computer - for whatever reason (connecting to the mainframe/AI)
* A special nuke tracker that only works once the nuke is armed.
* A fire axe to destroy doors?

The first one would be a bit odd to find in an armory, but I really recommend the health implants.
More shotgun shells/shell types for the shotties would be nice. They're pretty underwhelming at the moment, and there's a lot of possibilities with them--incendiary ammo, acid ammo, exploding, armor-piercing--maybe even custom shotgun shells? Black Powder + a shotgun shell and a chemical of your choice to apply the ONTOUCH reaction to whoever it hits.

They should also be adapted to use the spread that taser shotguns currently have, at least for buckshot-type ammo.

Lastly, the ability to saw them off (using a welder, I guess?) to use one-handed.
(02-07-2020, 10:36 AM)OMJ Wrote:
(02-06-2020, 12:22 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Podseekers only gib now if they are already in crit and you point blank them. Believe me I know, I love to use podseekers during Assday as HoS on people.
Point blank podseekers gibbed me on green

Weird. Last Assday the point blanking podseekers werent gibbing anymore. Also remember when you and me went on the mindslave rampage a week or so ago and I was firing podseekers at everyone near the barmedbay? I dont think anyone got gibbed there. Infact I think only one person even died from it.
(02-07-2020, 11:04 AM)DasBrain Wrote: <...>
For one part, this is a good thing. Due to the nature of HoS need to apply, we have good HoS - if we have one.

And this is the biggest problem with the armory: Not accessible if there is no HoS. (I know, packets can open the crates...)
<...>
What if the armory wasn't just one room, but two levels?
Have a general-access level that has some useful stuff, but not majorly game changing, then have a HoS-only door that leads to the real powerful unique shit. Bam, there you go.
(02-07-2020, 11:47 AM)Nnystyxx Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 11:04 AM)DasBrain Wrote: <...>

<...>
What if the armory wasn't just one room, but two levels?
Have a general-access level that has some useful stuff, but not majorly game changing, then have a HoS-only door that leads to the real powerful unique shit. Bam, there you go.
Yeah thats called the security gear room and the armory. It already has two levels. I just think the antibiological crate shouldn't be locked in the armory personally.
Sec class crates would be cool. I do have an actual suggestion! Move stuff in the armory to vending machines and racks, then make it less scarce. There's not enough of anything to equip a full security team, which also lends credence to the armory being a little useless to security. Particularly the riot armor, which is apparently very bad anyways.
Riot armor isn't bad its just not worth it because of how slow it makes you and that it only really defends better from melee than bullets and lasers. You know what defends well against bullets and lasers? MOVING FAST
(02-06-2020, 12:22 PM)KikiMofo Wrote: Podseekers only gib now if they are already in crit and you point blank them. Believe me I know, I love to use podseekers during Assday as HoS on people.

As of a few days ago podseekers were gibbing full health people from five or six tiles away.
The Riot Armor is terrible because it slows you down tremendously. It's way more likely to get you killed than save you.

I think a reasonable buff for it would be to remove the speed slowdown but make it drain stamina faster instead. Makes it better for combat while still making it so you wouldn't want it on ALL the time. Hard to chase down runners with a stamina penalty.
(02-07-2020, 05:49 PM)Vengarr Wrote: The Riot Armor is terrible because it slows you down tremendously. It's way more likely to get you killed than save you.

I think a reasonable buff for it would be to remove the speed slowdown but make it drain stamina faster instead. Makes it better for combat while still making it so you wouldn't want it on ALL the time. Hard to chase down runners with a stamina penalty.

The armor actually blocks a lot of damage. Once I was getting gang beaten and stabbed while wearing it. Despite being knocked unconscious from the stamina loss, I really wasn't taking damage.
I've been toying around with spriting regarding the Pulse Rifle suggestion I made and I'll post some progress here. You can follow my progress in"#imspriter" on the discord, though. This is my first time so I would really appreciate any criticism regarding it.

This was the original. Some folks were kind enough to give me some pointers.

[Image: lmbTz3x.png]

This was one I whipped up this morning.
[Image: rJ3Mil4.png]

This was the edit I did a few moments ago, someone suggested I clarify what the "barrel" is for as it was taking inspiration from the lawgiver but didn't really match it regarding the pulse "charge percentage".
[Image: SPvOJf8.png]

Let me know what you think and how you think I could improve it. Thanks.

EDIT: This is what I'm up to now regarding it. Criticism has been incredibly helpful. Gib more.
[Image: Squf6RI.png]
(02-07-2020, 06:27 PM)Frank_Stein Wrote:
(02-07-2020, 05:49 PM)Vengarr Wrote: The Riot Armor is terrible because it slows you down tremendously. It's way more likely to get you killed than save you.

The armor actually blocks a lot of damage. Once I was getting gang beaten and stabbed while wearing it. Despite being knocked unconscious from the stamina loss, I really wasn't taking damage.

Yeah it has a lot of melee res but that slowdown is just too much
Problem is, it doesn't do jack against stuns/poisons/bombs and not enough vs. guns/melee to justify wearing it.

My most common death as a sec officer is being stunned/poisoned and then thrown out the nearest airlock. Which is why I put a tracking implant in every round so that maybe, just maybe, someone will come get my frozen corpse.
for those who may have missed the changelog message - the riot armor now provides a 'disorient resist' buff (reduce the length and the stamina loss from any stun that Disorients you and isn't a eye or ear based stun). I feel like this should compensate for the slowdown - i think the current resistance is at about 30%? So we could potentially make that number a bit higher if its still not worth wearing
(02-07-2020, 09:57 PM)mbc Wrote: for those who may have missed the changelog message - the riot armor now provides a 'disorient resist' buff (reduce the length and the stamina loss from any stun that Disorients you and isn't a eye or ear based stun). I feel like this should compensate for the slowdown - i think the current resistance is at about 30%? So we could potentially make that number a bit higher if its still not worth wearing

That's definitely helpful. To me, the riot gear should be more about keeping things back rather than advancing. You put it on and stay near a choke point, or surround a person you're trying to protect, from what will most likely be multiple, poorly armed attackers. Being slow is fine in that case, but you want to be able to not be knocked down, or back. Some kind of resistance to 
being shoved would be helpful.