Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.17 Average
Remove genetics ability use monkeys for experiments
Speaking as a geneticist, I agree with the popular sentiment that wants genetics to be less crouched away from the rest of the action. The simple solutions would likely be one of these three ideas: 

1.Remove the ability for genetics to turn monkeys into humans.

2. Remove monkeys from monkeypen next to genetics (and remove valuchimps on maps where monkeypen has them of course).

3. There's a tag that monkeys have even after being turned human that makes attacking said human-monkeys cause nearby monkeys to defend them regardless... what if that tag was also tied to using activators on the human-monkeys not give filled activators?

If you ask me, I like idea #3 the best... and, using monkeys can still be a strategy for finding rare mutations (except high complexity DNA) regardless of these changes, just that you can't use them to grind chromosomes.

Admittedly, that might make the chromosome/unlocker grind even MORE horrible than it already is.
the monkey human thing is the only way genetics can get anything done in a reasonable amount of time without making a player very bored and irradiated so NO unless there is an extensive genetics rework
Poland has summarized my exact thoughts so just reread his comment
And also it'd be impossible to do anything as a non-traitor geneticist.
Not quite in the scope of this post but now I'm wondering if there's a genetics power to make monkeys super angry at whomever hits you.
Quote:the monkey human thing is the only way genetics can get anything done in a reasonable amount of time without making a player very bored and irradiated so NO unless there is an extensive genetics rework

So then how would you make genetics a more involved job? 

There's no practical reason to activate on people unless you're strapped for materials. Sure you can do it if you want (like I do) but that's besides the point.
We need rewards for actually solving the codons, not to remove the rewards for using activators.
a good genetecist calls people over the radio to tell them their cool mutations after running their samples

a great genetecist says nothing for 50 minutes and then starts handing out stabilized anaerobic metabolism injectors to everyone on the station
[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Please do not punish geneticists by removing their main source of genes.  Genetics will be empty forever, cause then it's no guarantee that anyone will even want to sit in a tube for half an hour just so you can mess with them.
(04-25-2018, 07:22 PM)BlackPhoenix Wrote: We need rewards for actually solving the codons, not to remove the rewards for using activators.

This is the good suggestion. When I got into genetics at first I almost only did that, solving the codons, before realizing that this was a waste of time compared to the monkey trick. To me that always seemed to be some kind of exploit which was convenient enough to be turned into a feature.

Either give rewards for solving the codons, or reduce the cooldown on genes checking. Or you could make it simpler, at the moment it only tells whether you have to right codons in the right place, you could make it tell if you have the right codons in the right place but reversed. I don't know if I was clear on that.
I'd argue to have it to where Activator toggled mutations have a chance of applying their instability (If any) to the person despite being a part of their innate gene-sequence, while activating it manually would ensure it was Stabilized. That way, you get a reward for putting in the effort to discover how to solve the really good mutations (Do it on chimps, people, with enough research the Mutation Scrambler does no damage and you can just heal the chimphuman up in the meantime) while still being able to be fast if you want to, at the risk of some negative, but at the benefit of the chromosomes and whatnot.

It's a give and take, which would make the job a decent bit more compelling while we wait and hope for a more interesting and interactive Research system for genetics to replace the "Click and wait" research which was phased out of things like Robotics and Artlab.
Genetics has been weird since the change. Now it's a flat downtime of xx minutes (average around 20) pokin' monkeys and waitin' to be asploded'ed before you do anything really fun.

I like the monkey pokin' thing for the sheer amount of monkey related injuries and/or deaths it causes. I would, however, prefer progress being smoothed out. Maybe make it less rng. Give them more ways to work towards that mutation that they really wanted. Also some incentive for mutatin' PCs. Like givin' value to injectors used on PCs, or extra value to activators used on PCs.

No real need to take anything away when there's no real incentive for gettin' off that console.
In that case either let the person know it affected their stability with a quick message or apply only half of the normal stability change, otherwise you might get a few bad surprises.
Or make it so that storing genes activated through code-solving automatically have stabilizer/synchronizer applied (obviously you would need a means of de-attaching chromosomes if you wanted to i.e. add Power Booster to Optic Energizer)
(04-26-2018, 10:30 AM)MrMagolor Wrote: Or make it so that storing genes activated through code-solving automatically have stabilizer/synchronizer applied (obviously you would need a means of de-attaching chromosomes if you wanted to i.e. add Power Booster to Optic Energizer)

This definitely would make more sense than what currently happens. Very powerful genes might still require manual reinforcing to keep them balanced, though.